Fast wireless charging any good?

Halloweenoreo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Anyone that has used the fast wireless charger us it any good or worth it? I'm coming from a note 3 so haven't had one yet.

I know best buy price matches amazon and can get it for 42 bucks but before I pull the trigger wanted feedback on them

Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Fast Wireless charging is just as fast as a normal, 2A wired charger, it won't be as fast as a QuickCharge wired one. But it's definitely faster than a normal wireless charger.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Fast Wireless charging is just as fast as a normal, 2A wired charger, it won't be as fast as a QuickCharge wired one. But it's definitely faster than a normal wireless charger.

Ok. So this will save me from starting an entirely new thread. Can you explain the following for me in Layman's and real world terms?

What is QC and how is it different?

Do you have to get all different equipment to take advantage of QC?

USB-C WILL let us use QC, correct?

How is different from Adaptive Fast Charging?

And when you say wireless works just as well as a wired 2A, does that mean a normal charger or an Adaptive Fast Charger?

Sorry for all the questions lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No problem! Let's see if I can answer it all :)
1) QC and Adaptive Fast Charging are basically the same thing: Fast Charging. They're just different names given by different companies. QC, the most generic of the two, has several revisions and QC2 (currently what Samsung's AFC is based upon) is slower than QC3.
2) USB-C will let you use Fast Charging.
3) Wireless charging is slower than a normal, wired charger, so people tend to assume that because a wireless charger has 'fast charging' slapped on it, they'll have the same charging speeds as a wired QC or AFC charger. They won't. A Wireless Fast Charger is closer in charging speeds as a normal, non-QuickCharging 2A wired charger. So a 'Fast' wireless charger will just charge your phone like a normal charger would, just faster than a normal wireless charger would. 'True' Fast Charging can only come (right now) from wired chargers equipped to do so. The charger included with the Note 7 will be Fast-Charging-enabled.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
No problem! Let's see if I can answer it all :)
1) QC and Adaptive Fast Charging are basically the same thing: Fast Charging. They're just different names given by different companies. QC, the most generic of the two, has several revisions and QC2 (currently what Samsung's AFC is based upon) is slower than QC3.
2) USB-C will let you use Fast Charging.
3) Wireless charging is slower than a normal, wired charger, so people tend to assume that because a wireless charger has 'fast charging' slapped on it, they'll have the same charging speeds as a wired QC or AFC charger. They won't. A Wireless Fast Charger is closer in charging speeds as a normal, non-QuickCharging 2A wired charger. So a 'Fast' wireless charger will just charge your phone like a normal charger would, just faster than a normal wireless charger would. 'True' Fast Charging can only come (right now) from wired chargers equipped to do so. The charger included with the Note 7 will be Fast-Charging-enabled.

Give this boy a medal and a drink! Thank you so much!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They're probably talking about the different QC standards, which vary in speed. Samsung based theirs off of QC 2.0, and now that QC 3 is out and they announced that they wouldn't support it in the S7 or Note 7 lines, people went crazy (some people, others just don't really care that much).

QC is a Qualcomm standard, so it works only for Qualcomm devices. AFC, albeit based off QC, also works with Samsung's Exynos processors. But they're essentially the same thing.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
They're probably talking about the different QC standards, which vary in speed. Samsung based theirs off of QC 2.0, and now that QC 3 is out and they announced that they wouldn't support it in the S7 or Note 7 lines, people went crazy (some people, others just don't really care that much).

QC is a Qualcomm standard, so it works only for Qualcomm devices. AFC, albeit based off QC, also works with Samsung's Exynos processors. But they're essentially the same thing.

Understood. Thanks for the clarity.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have two fast wireless chargers for my S7 edge. Being around the same battery size, I can say that they should charge at about the same speed. I've been happy with the fast wireless charging. Now the regular wireless charging.... The only thing that one is good for in my opinion is charging overnight. Takes fooorrrreeeeva.

I say all that to say, I definitely think the fast wireless charger is worth it. I really like mine. I would buy one again.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have two fast wireless chargers for my S7 edge. Being around the same battery size, I can say that they should charge at about the same speed. I've been happy with the fast wireless charging. Now the regular wireless charging.... The only thing that one is good for in my opinion is charging overnight. Takes fooorrrreeeeva.

I say all that to say, I definitely think the fast wireless charger is worth it. I really like mine. I would buy one again.

You prefer is to charge slow overnight?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You prefer is to charge slow overnight?
I personally prefer the fast all the time, but the regular chargers are cheaper and I have some from when that's all was available. Overnight is pretty much the only time that it being slow doesn't matter in my opinion.

Some would argue that it's better for the phone because less heat is generated, but I just prefer to charge as quickly as possible during the day cause I never know when I'll be back on the go.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I personally prefer the fast all the time, but the regular chargers are cheaper and I have some from when that's all was available. Overnight is pretty much the only time that it being slow doesn't matter in my opinion.

Some would argue that it's better for the phone because less heat is generated, but I just prefer to charge as quickly as possible during the day cause I never know when I'll be back on the go.

I hope I don't overcharge this new phone.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that has used the fast wireless charger us it any good or worth it? I'm coming from a note 3 so haven't had one yet.

I know best buy price matches amazon and can get it for 42 bucks but before I pull the trigger wanted feedback on them

Thanks in advance

I love it. Have one for my night stand and desk.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope I don't overcharge this new phone.

You won't. Both charger (quality ones, at least) and phone are protected. The only 'downside' is the heat dispersion from the faster charging, but like I said before, that would only affect it adversely over a very long period of time (one that exceeds 'normal' phone lifespans); by the time it would get to decreasing the battery performance, the battery itself is starting to 'die' anyway.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
You won't. Both charger (quality ones, at least) and phone are protected. The only 'downside' is the heat dispersion from the faster charging, but like I said before, that would only affect it adversely over a very long period of time (one that exceeds 'normal' phone lifespans); by the time it would get to decreasing the battery performance, the battery itself is starting to 'die' anyway.

Good. Because charging the phone overnight has always bothered me, like I'm overcharging the battery. And yeah, that heat dispersion is annoying lol.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Good. Because charging the phone overnight has always bothered me, like I'm overcharging the battery. And yeah, that heat dispersion is annoying lol.

It's not that bad. The phone will get hotter sitting on a dashboard cradle while driving 20 minutes at lunch time on a sunny day. But I agree with other posters, I keep my fast chargers around for, well, quick charges during the day (although I hardly ever need them, mind you, since the battery is pretty good) and keep a 'slow' wireless charger by my bed for overnight (and it acts as a night light!).

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
It's not that bad. The phone will get hotter sitting on a dashboard cradle while driving 20 minutes at lunch time on a sunny day. But I agree with other posters, I keep my fast chargers around for, well, quick charges during the day (although I hardly ever need them, mind you, since the battery is pretty good) and keep a 'slow' wireless charger by my bed for overnight (and it acts as a night light!).

And your battery life is legit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae