08-15-2016 03:52 PM
121 ... 2345
tools
    I remember you could write with screen off on Note 5. The issue I found from it was that the text was very dim so if I were standing outside and wanted to write someone down I couldn't really see what I was writing.

Also I love the idea of the Always On screen. I don't remember that being a feature of the Note 5. I'd like to look at the screen and see Date and Time and notifications without having to turn screen on.

However does that consume a lot of battery? Would you just be better off checking it on the phone instead?
    I would assume (confidently) that the with the whole screen being deep black on super amoled it would be extremely minor in battery consumption (way less than actually checking via unlock and browsing through device)
    08-12-2016 10:19 AM
    I have never had a AoD myself, this will be a first. From what I read in the threads here, it uses a surprisingly small amount of battery. We'll know soon enough :-)
    I have had AoD on multiple devices (Lumias use it) and the battery use is extremely negligible... I just can't speak for Note 7 as I am still waiting for my device, but I am Super Excited about this feature being implemented on the Note 7 (I missed it from my Lumias)
    08-12-2016 10:21 AM
    wait....no one else is switching because apple changed the gun emoji to a squirt gun to be politically correct?
    Siggystyle likes this.
    08-12-2016 10:24 AM
    Also you can write a note while talking on the phone or not with tons of info that will trigger you phone to to several things automatically.

You can write down a name, phone number address, email address, save it. Tap on one section to make it add to or create a contact automatically. Tapping on the email address will pull up the email app with their email address in automatically. They physical address will pull up maps, enter the assess and you just have to hit "start navigation. Tapping on the phone number will open your dialer with the number there and you hit send. That is really good for writing down info that you will need but don't want to make them a contact and will only need once or twice.

If you need to call someone back once you just tap that info and call them. You don't have to write the info on paper and then manually dial it later. Same with an address. You write it down instead of sending yourself a text or writing on paper and then entering it into maps manually.

One feature of the notes that I liked and they removed, I think in the Note 4 and hopefully they being back.. When you are on a phone call and pull out the spen, it would bring up that action note automatically. When you save it and go back and look in your call log, there would be an icon shortcut for that particular note attached to the phone call, whether it was a contact on your phone or not. So if you didn't remember what you saved a note as or what day you did it and needed the note, look in your call log. For a call to John Doe last Friday, you took a note, but talked to him every day after, you scroll through the call log for him and you see the icon for the note by the call last Friday and tap it and open it.

I really liked having the notes saved in the call log because even if I called some store and I didn't remember the number, I could scroll through my call log for that day and find the note quickly.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-12-2016 10:26 AM
    I remember you could write with screen off on Note 5. The issue I found from it was that the text was very dim so if I were standing outside and wanted to write someone down I couldn't really see what I was writing.

Also I love the idea of the Always On screen. I don't remember that being a feature of the Note 5. I'd like to look at the screen and see Date and Time and notifications without having to turn screen on.

However does that consume a lot of battery? Would you just be better off checking it on the phone instead?
    Screen brightness outside shouldn't be an issue for the N7. I don't remember the number for the brightness, but the brightest out there and way brighter than the second brightest IIRC.
    08-12-2016 10:27 AM
    Also you can write a note while talking on the phone or not with tons of info that will trigger you phone to to several things automatically.

You can write down a name, phone number address, email address, save it. Tap on one section to make it add to or create a contact automatically. Tapping on the email address will pull up the email app with their email address in automatically. They physical address will pull up maps, enter the assess and you just have to hit "start navigation. Tapping on the phone number will open your dialer with the number there and you hit send. That is really good for writing down info that you will need but don't want to make them a contact and will only need once or twice.

If you need to call someone back once you just tap that info and call them. You don't have to write the info on paper and then manually dial it later. Same with an address. You write it down instead of sending yourself a text or writing on paper and then entering it into maps manually.

One feature of the notes that I liked and they removed, I think in the Note 4 and hopefully they being back.. When you are on a phone call and pull out the spen, it would bring up that action note automatically. When you save it and go back and look in your call log, there would be an icon shortcut for that particular note attached to the phone call, whether it was a contact on your phone or not. So if you didn't remember what you saved a note as or what day you did it and needed the note, look in your call log. For a call to John Doe last Friday, you took a note, but talked to him every day after, you scroll through the call log for him and you see the icon for the note by the call last Friday and tap it and open it.

I really liked having the notes saved in the call log because even if I called some store and I didn't remember the number, I could scroll through my call log for that day and find the note quickly.
    They are TRULY "SMART" DEVICES....
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-12-2016 10:30 AM

Nice! Super useful stuff!!
    08-12-2016 10:36 AM
    Screen brightness outside shouldn't be an issue for the N7. I don't remember the number for the brightness, but the brightest out there and way brighter than the second brightest IIRC.

I think he is referring to the dimness of the Screen-Off memo. It is pretty dim, compared to the bright screen.
    08-12-2016 10:38 AM
    And now we have "Glance" to further improve upon this!!
    Glance?
    I, too, am intrigued. What is this "Glance" feature?
    08-12-2016 10:46 AM
    I, too, am intrigued. What is this "Glance" feature?
    It is an S-Pen feature (added to the Arsenal to join Screen-Write, Action Memo, Screen-Clipping/Smart-Select, along with the GIF-Maker, &Magnify), anyway, "Glance" is a feature that allows you to open up another application ("on top" of the current) for reference and use when needing to utilize 2 apps for given tasks... the reference app is minimized while using one, and opened full screen when S-Pen hovers over it... difficult to explain I think, but easily understood when viewed... see YouTube for example reviews
    08-12-2016 10:59 AM
    It is an S-Pen feature (added to the Arsenal to join Screen-Write, Action Memo, Screen-Clipping/Smart-Select, along with the GIF-Maker, &Magnify), anyway, "Glance" is a feature that allows you to open up another application ("on top" of the current) for reference and use when needing to utilize 2 apps for given tasks... the reference app is minimized while using one, and opened full screen when S-Pen hovers over it... difficult to explain I think, but easily understood when viewed... see YouTube for example reviews
    Thank you! *goes off to YouTube*
    08-12-2016 11:04 AM
    The offscreen notes are great for me. I have to jot down a lot of notes waking between meetings etc. I used to always carry a steno pad and pen everywhere with me.

Now I can just pop put the spen, take notes on the screen and don't have to unlock it or open an app.
    Waking between meetings. I've had a lot of meetings like that!
    08-12-2016 11:19 AM
    If the new iphone 7 plus has an even larger battery. The battery life is going to be phenomenal
    08-12-2016 11:33 AM
    If the new iphone 7 plus has an even larger battery. The battery life is going to be phenomenal
    Yeah, that was my thing too...but then I was reading something from a few different sources that said that it was not going to have a bigger battery until their 10 year Anniversary and major redesign. This year the 7 is going to have no more headphone jack (makes the phone slimmer), IOS 10, and they are getting rid of the physical round home screen button making it a haptic feedback action. Additionally, the Plus version is supposed to have duel cameras that take lowlight and regular light shots and blend them together. Those features were not going to be enough the make me stay and move to that version. Hell, getting rid of the regular headphone jack I think is bad. I have 2 different expensive headphones and don't want that nightmare, even if they offer an adapter for it.
    08-12-2016 01:28 PM
    Yeah, that was my thing too...but then I was reading something from a few different sources that said that it was not going to have a bigger battery until their 10 year Anniversary and major redesign. This year the 7 is going to have no more headphone jack (makes the phone slimmer), IOS 10, and they are getting rid of the physical round home screen button making it a haptic feedback action. Additionally, the Plus version is supposed to have duel cameras that take lowlight and regular light shots and blend them together. Those features were not going to be enough the make me stay and move to that version. Hell, getting rid of the regular headphone jack I think is bad. I have 2 different expensive headphones and don't want that nightmare, even if they offer an adapter for it.
    Yes, that is a move that many probably disagree with... Same here, ultimate deal breaker for me...
    08-12-2016 01:31 PM
    Damn you guys! I recently got the 6s+ and told myself I was sticking with iPhone so I only upgrade once per year... Well after all the posts, pictures and videos of the Note 7, I had to go see the demo unit. Well, guys.. It looks like I'll be going to the T-Mobile store next Friday.

My wife is going to kill me.
    She doesn't need to know
    RobertP1 likes this.
    08-12-2016 01:38 PM
    Yes, that is a move that many probably disagree with... Same here, ultimate deal breaker for me...
    I would also add that there's only so thin a phone can go OR that I would, as a consumer, feel comfortable going. I think Apple nailed it on the current size. Anything small might make it feel cheaper and as if it might break or be easy to break.

Making it an extra mm thinner is ridiculous to me.

I think the next innovation is going to be the advent of a thin phone that actually folds and you won't even be able to tell where the screen folds, taking a 5.5 inch phone and making it bigger but not as thicker. THAT, my friends, would eliminate the need to any type of tablet at all.
    08-12-2016 02:02 PM
    I may be wrong on this, but I think the Note 7 has the option to scroll on the active note screen (via small up & down arrows) so when you fill the screen, just hit the down arrow to scroll to new space to continue... I have seen that done already on a review... Nit sure if it saves as multi pages or one note, or how the file is treated after, but I do understand it to be a way that you can continie notes beyond one screen now... I am anxious to try this oit as well, bc on my note 5 I really wanted more than one screen of note, then it wakes up...
    This video confirms that you can actually scroll through the Off Screen to take notes and you do not need to actually hit the plus button on that screen...you can do it with your pen or finger.

dsignori likes this.
    08-12-2016 02:36 PM
    They are TRULY "SMART" DEVICES....
    I forgot also you can write down a date and time of an appointment and add it to your calendar by tapping on it. I believe you can also add tasks to your calendar for a day the same way.

Not many Note 3 users on the forums used those features of the spen. I had posted an article once about those things and no one was interested in using those. There were I me a couple besides myself that seemed to use them. Most said it was too much trouble and took too much time.

But.. If you are talking to someone that you are going to meet later and they give you an address to write down, might as welll lose a step or two and save some time. You are already talking on the phone so instead of picking up paper and a pen (in many cases first find the paper and pen) just use your spen and phone that has right there near you.

I was literally shocked how many said they weren't interested in learning about those features for reasons such as:

1. They never, ever actually talked on their phone at all. They never had any conversation with anyone, individual or business, that wasn't a text so the information was in the text so they never had to write down info, ever. (This was odd to me, numerous people I communicate with are through voice calls. Very seldom do I find businesses that have texting in their brick and mortar business.)

2. It was quicker and less trouble to write down an address/email addy/phone number on a piece of paper, open the app, type the address/email addy/phone number into the app instead of tapping on the info on the virtual piece of paper.

3. They never had to ever write down any info such as an address, email addy, phone number, ticket number, appointment date and time, name of a new contact, etc, because they could remember all the info told to them and enter it all in appropriate app when they hung up from the call.

There were several other reasons that ended with it was much faster and less steps, to write the info down on a piece while on the call and then manually type that info into the appropriate app(s) after the call was over.

None of those ever made sense to me. I'm a "work smarter, not harder" person. I just couldn't see how writing info down on paper and manually typing that info in the app was quicker and less trouble than writing the info down on a virtual piece of paper and then tapping on that info to have it open the correct app and the info was entered in the app for you.

Also the notes can be synced to your Samsung account and anytime you get a new phone, the notes are there. Has to be a Samsung, though I think you *might* can export some or all of those notes and store them on other cloud storage and have them available to you. The problem with that though is you can only read them, the actions abilities are gone on a non-Note phone since it is an spen feature. With other Samsung phones the notes can easily be available for syncing the notes for viewing only.

Something that simple is a big increase in productivity when you are one that uses your phone for work or work and personal use. If your phone is used for your business and you use it even just as much as most people use a landline at a business, it saves a lot of time. I remember you asking about "productivity" last year and you not getting a satisfactory answer. Those are functions the iPhone and other Androids also, just can't do. Yeah it will make me use more of my battery than what an iPhone will use, but for me sacrifice of some battery time for this is well worth it.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-12-2016 05:03 PM
    I discovered this as well. In fact, my data usage doubled when I switched back to Android (via my S7 Edge) because I was using it so much more than my iPhone.
    OMG you aren't kidding. I have historically been fine with 2 gigs of data. I've now been around 10!!
    queenren and RobertP1 like this.
    08-13-2016 05:01 AM
    I forgot also you can write down a date and time of an appointment and add it to your calendar by tapping on it. I believe you can also add tasks to your calendar for a day the same way.

Not many Note 3 users on the forums used those features of the spen. I had posted an article once about those things and no one was interested in using those. There were I me a couple besides myself that seemed to use them. Most said it was too much trouble and took too much time.

But.. If you are talking to someone that you are going to meet later and they give you an address to write down, might as welll lose a step or two and save some time. You are already talking on the phone so instead of picking up paper and a pen (in many cases first find the paper and pen) just use your spen and phone that has right there near you.

I was literally shocked how many said they weren't interested in learning about those features for reasons such as:

1. They never, ever actually talked on their phone at all. They never had any conversation with anyone, individual or business, that wasn't a text so the information was in the text so they never had to write down info, ever. (This was odd to me, numerous people I communicate with are through voice calls. Very seldom do I find businesses that have texting in their brick and mortar business.)

2. It was quicker and less trouble to write down an address/email addy/phone number on a piece of paper, open the app, type the address/email addy/phone number into the app instead of tapping on the info on the virtual piece of paper.

3. They never had to ever write down any info such as an address, email addy, phone number, ticket number, appointment date and time, name of a new contact, etc, because they could remember all the info told to them and enter it all in appropriate app when they hung up from the call.

There were several other reasons that ended with it was much faster and less steps, to write the info down on a piece while on the call and then manually type that info into the appropriate app(s) after the call was over.

None of those ever made sense to me. I'm a "work smarter, not harder" person. I just couldn't see how writing info down on paper and manually typing that info in the app was quicker and less trouble than writing the info down on a virtual piece of paper and then tapping on that info to have it open the correct app and the info was entered in the app for you.

Also the notes can be synced to your Samsung account and anytime you get a new phone, the notes are there. Has to be a Samsung, though I think you *might* can export some or all of those notes and store them on other cloud storage and have them available to you. The problem with that though is you can only read them, the actions abilities are gone on a non-Note phone since it is an spen feature. With other Samsung phones the notes can easily be available for syncing the notes for viewing only.

Something that simple is a big increase in productivity when you are one that uses your phone for work or work and personal use. If your phone is used for your business and you use it even just as much as most people use a landline at a business, it saves a lot of time. I remember you asking about "productivity" last year and you not getting a satisfactory answer. Those are functions the iPhone and other Androids also, just can't do. Yeah it will make me use more of my battery than what an iPhone will use, but for me sacrifice of some battery time for this is well worth it.
    All good info here and stuff I never knew.

Do you use OneNote Kelly? I use that and Evernote both and wonder if the writing within them is improved. I used Evernote with the Note 3 I had and it was painfully slow.

I never tried on my N5 since I used my SurfaceBook instead.
    08-13-2016 06:11 AM
    All good info here and stuff I never knew.

Do you use OneNote Kelly? I use that and Evernote both and wonder if the writing within them is improved. I used Evernote with the Note 3 I had and it was painfully slow.

I never tried on my N5 since I used my SurfaceBook instead.
    I've never tried OneNote, but others have.

Even the writing in General is better on the Note 7. I did see a thread about different Note taking apps. When I come across it again I'll link it for you.

The thing about OneNote, your Notes can be available on all devices.
    08-13-2016 07:37 AM
    I think he is referring to the dimness of the Screen-Off memo. It is pretty dim, compared to the bright screen.
    Yes but that should be brighter also. I can test how bright it is, I've been at Best Buy a couple times playing with them, an you can't get the screen off to work since their spens ate locked down.
    08-13-2016 07:40 AM
    Waking between meetings. I've had a lot of meetings like that!
    Hahaha it must have been Freudian when I typed that.
    08-13-2016 07:42 AM
    I use these feature daily/hourly... Just can't with any other device
    A lot of that has me tied to the phone as well. The spen can do a lot and it is much more than a stylus. I can find a lot of the features of the phone, but not the spen function.

Scroll capture and smart select are something I use a lot, daily.
    08-13-2016 07:49 AM
121 ... 2345