iPhone 6s Plus to Note 7?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Your story seems similar to mine. I dumped my iPhone 6 Plus for a note 5 and returned it only going back to the iPhone because the note 5 was terrible in the battery department. Like you, I am a power user and between using my phone for work (which is a lot) and my personal use, the note 5 was not able to keep up. And there was also noticeable battery drain when barely using the phone. So I went back. Other than that, I love the note line. I'm hoping my note 7 performs better. Time will tell I suppose.

The Note 7 has the potential of having the best battery life yet, since can set to 1080p which is about the res of the iPhone 6. Factor in amoled and you can set power profiles, the N7 could maybe possibly be the real deal.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh. This was a joke...lol

I'd love to hear about all your "productivity" stories on Android. You write up a lot of spreadsheets on Android? Do a lot of PPTs? What productivity tasks do you do on a daily basis using your phone not a laptop? Let's hear them. I'm intrigued by all these productivity items that are accomplished on your 5.5 inch phone.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My Note 3 goes through battery like crazy too. I run it on power save mode all the time and it helps. I don't charge it at night because it sits on the shelf above my bed acting as my alarm clock, and it will lose easily 25-30% during the night consistently... so I try to ensure that it's charged up before going to bed. Then at work the next day, it stays plugged in. And so from when I get off work til I plug it in at home, it will drop from 100% down to 60% or so. And I don't do much with it anymore... email, some texting, maybe a photo. Suppose at its age, the battery may be going though.

As for iOS, I have an iPad Pro and while I love it, I can't do much with it productivity-wise because of the idiotic OS and lack of a real filesystem, so it really is just a nice big web browser. I even have the pencil which is pretty slick, but again, unless you're an artist, and can learn to use the various drawing apps, there's not much point to it. I got it on the Next plan so it wasn't a big deal. I'm glad I didn't have to pay full price for it.

I'm looking forward to the Note 7.. hoping it'll be better on battery than my Note 3, and just looking forward to more speed, a higher-res screen and stuff like that.

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly the same story here - Note 5 to 6S Plus primarily due to battery. Wish there was a way to meld the best of iOS and Android, but I pre-ordered Note 7. Miss the pen and the customization. Hoping for the best with the battery...

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to hear about all your "productivity" stories on Android. You write up a lot of spreadsheets on Android? Do a lot of PPTs? What productivity tasks do you do on a daily basis using your phone not a laptop? Let's hear them. I'm intrigued by all these productivity items that are accomplished on your 5.5 inch phone.

You missed the part where we stated this was...a joke? Must have lol.

But if you'd like a serious answer, I had great experiences with all of that on my Note 4. She was a beast.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

But if you'd like a serious answer, I had great experiences with all of that on my Note 4. She was a beast.

I understand it came off as a joke. But, in reality, I always hear about the productivity that can be done on the Note or any mobile phone device. I'd love to know the trick of doing that.

I do a lot of Office tasks - PPT development, Word Docs, Excel, etc. I have never used a mobile device to create anything like that. Creation to me is productivity. Using documents, reading them, etc is quite different, and both OS' do a fine job of doing that.

If the argument is that Android is more customizable for personal use, yup, 100% agree. I just think the "productivity" angle on mobile devices is a bit overplayed.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I understand it came off as a joke. But, in reality, I always hear about the productivity that can be done on the Note or any mobile phone device. I'd love to know the trick of doing that.

I do a lot of Office tasks - PPT development, Word Docs, Excel, etc. I have never used a mobile device to create anything like that. Creation to me is productivity. Using documents, reading them, etc is quite different, and both OS' do a fine job of doing that.

If the argument is that Android is more customizable for personal use, yup, 100% agree. I just think the "productivity" angle on mobile devices is a bit overplayed.

I dunno about that because I'mnot one of the ones who used that line. I WAS however able to do everything all day on my Note 4. That phone was an insane moment in phone creation. Just loved it.

kazman12

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

YOU stated his comment was a joke. He is telling you it wasn't a joke.

Cool to see you did all of the same things he did. Your old phone sounds like a real 'beast'.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
YOU stated his comment was a joke. He is telling you it wasn't a joke.

Cool to see you did all of the same things he did. Your old phone sounds like a real 'beast'.

Wait. Was this sarcasm?

And he and I already had addressed the issue. I didn't say his comment was a joke. I stated that *I* was making a funny. Devaluing people's opinions isn't my idea of fun.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Wait. Was this sarcasm?

And he and I already had addressed the issue. I didn't say his comment was a joke. I stated that *I* was making a funny. Devaluing people's opinions isn't my idea of fun.

You're good...I wasn't offended...I was simply wondering what makes a phone more productive over another.

I am a power user. I have my phone next to me at all times, and grab it for everything...well, everything except when I need to be able to evaluate spreadsheets, develop PPT's, etc (as I already mentioned).

Email, web, music, etc, yup, all mobile. Productivity stuff? MacBook retina 2016.

Personally I prefer Android OS. I love the built in features of Google on all android devices..they work better obviously vs downloading to IOS device. But there are good things about both devices and OS'. I've gone back and forth which I think is a testament to both.

For me, battery is one of the single biggest factors when I consider a device. The iPhone Plus is WAY better than regular iPhones. I am never tethered to a wall with my iPhone 6s+...Turned my iPhone on today at 5:45am and I'm at 79% almost 7 hours later...been using it for email and text all morning long....Uber today as well as reading WSJ and Feedly. I'll typically get 11-13 hours easy with about 10-15% left so I can get 12-14 hours. For my use, that is the sweet spot.

My Note 5, for all the tweaks I made, things I had to disable, would give me 8-10 hours and I'd have 10-15% left. I did everything I could to ensure longer battery.

The second for more is apps. I think Android and IOS are about even in that department. Some apps look better on Android and some on IOS. I use Facebook, Outlook, Feedly, WSJ, Instagram, Safari or Chrome, Evernote, and a bunch of financial and travel apps. They all work well for each device.

I do use the Wallet often on my iPhone and since I travel via plane a lot, I like the handy boarding passes that go into that feature.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
You're good...I wasn't offended...I was simply wondering what makes a phone more productive over another.

I am a power user. I have my phone next to me at all times, and grab it for everything...well, everything except when I need to be able to evaluate spreadsheets, develop PPT's, etc (as I already mentioned).

Email, web, music, etc, yup, all mobile. Productivity stuff? MacBook retina 2016.

Personally I prefer Android OS. I love the built in features of Google on all android devices..they work better obviously vs downloading to IOS device. But there are good things about both devices and OS'. I've gone back and forth which I think is a testament to both.

For me, battery is one of the single biggest factors when I consider a device. The iPhone Plus is WAY better than regular iPhones. I am never tethered to a wall with my iPhone 6s+...Turned my iPhone on today at 5:45am and I'm at 79% almost 7 hours later...been using it for email and text all morning long....Uber today as well as reading WSJ and Feedly. I'll typically get 11-13 hours easy with about 10-15% left so I can get 12-14 hours. For my use, that is the sweet spot.

My Note 5, for all the tweaks I made, things I had to disable, would give me 8-10 hours and I'd have 10-15% left. I did everything I could to ensure longer battery.

The second for more is apps. I think Android and IOS are about even in that department. Some apps look better on Android and some on IOS. I use Facebook, Outlook, Feedly, WSJ, Instagram, Safari or Chrome, Evernote, and a bunch of financial and travel apps. They all work well for each device.

I do use the Wallet often on my iPhone and since I travel via plane a lot, I like the handy boarding passes that go into that feature.

I'm glad we understand each other! 😄

To answer your question, what makes a phone more productive is simply subjective, I believe. That's why I take battery reviews with a grain I'd salt. The only phone that has amazed me was the Note 4. But I believe the 7 will outperform it, as it should.

A suggestion, and a reason that the 6+ does so well, for when you get your N7 is to set the resolution to that similar to the 6+ (1080 I believe). I'm personally going 720. 1080 isn't all that serious or necessary, imho, on a phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Oh that? I create spreadsheets, Word documents, etc. I also pull ones off my office server and update them constantly.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad we understand each other! ??????

To answer your question, what makes a phone more productive is simply subjective, I believe. That's why I take battery reviews with a grain I'd salt. The only phone that has amazed me was the Note 4. But I believe the 7 will outperform it, as it should.

A suggestion, and a reason that the 6+ does so well, for when you get your N7 is to set the resolution to that similar to the 6+ (1080 I believe). I'm personally going 720. 1080 isn't all that serious or necessary, imho, on a phone.

That will be an excellent option to be able to reduce resolution to 1080, which, as you said, is plenty good.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Attached to a cord.

I have both the Note 5 (daily driver) and the iPhone 6s plus ( weekend and vacations) not sure how the answer above was helpful to the original questions, but I figure I would throw in some facts. My note 5 does run out of juice well before the 6s plus does the phrase attached to a cord is something that note 5 power users do as well. Either way, both use battery but the iPhone 6s plus 2,915mAh battery out last the Note 5's 3000mAh and it is mainly due to software and hardware confirguration.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Note 5 (daily driver) and the iPhone 6s plus ( weekend and vacations) not sure how the answer above was helpful to the original questions, but I figure I would throw in some facts. My note 5 does run out of juice well before the 6s plus does the phrase attached to a cord is something that note 5 power users do as well. Either way, both use battery but the iPhone 6s plus 2,915mAh battery out last the Note 5's 3000mAh and it is mainly due to software and hardware confirguration.

I configured both my iPhone 6 plus and Note 5 the same. Identical including setting. No location used except when the apps are actually being used that need them.

I ran tests for each one. As I documented months ago when I went back to iPhone 6+, I was getting an average of 2 more hours on my iPhone than the Note 5. I did not change the way I used each device...made settings identical. I guessed it has to do with the Note 5 having a higher resolution screen than the iPhone and therefore using more battery for that. Not 100% sure but I was pretty thorough about the whole thing.

When I read that the Note 7 had a bigger battery but kept the same resolution and allows you to set it to 1080p, I decided to go back to the Note. For me, given my traveling and not having access to a charger at all times, the extras 2 hours is critical for me. If the Note 7 gives me 12-14 hours like my iPhone, I will be thrilled.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
O.k., I'm just going to say this...and hope I don't get slammed for it...I had an iPhone 6 (not the S and not the plus) and the battery on that lasted longer than my S7 (not edge) on any given day. I have concluded the reason for that is because I simply didn't USE the iPhone as much as I do my S7. Right or wrong, I have the S7 with me ALL the time and within arms reach. I'm constantly picking it up to google something, check the weather, read some news, tether to my iPad, read forums...etc. The iPhone I used for text and email (I use the S7 for those, too...just to be clear). But I didn't find myself constantly picking the iPhone up to just "check" stuff or read stuff or explore.

So for me, the Galaxy does not last as long as my regular iPhone 6 did...but I didn't USE my iPhone like I do the S7. I can't get a solid day out of my S7, unfortunately. However I'm trying to change my way of thinking and just accept that topping off throughout the day, especially with quick charge, is NOT the end of the world. I have historically been of the opinion that my phone NEEDS to get through a full day without a cord. Motorolas in the android world have come the closest to being able to do that.

I'm trying to come around...it's not like I don't have access to chargers throughout the day. Car, home, friend's homes, etc.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I configured both my iPhone 6 plus and Note 5 the same. Identical including setting. No location used except when the apps are actually being used that need them.

I ran tests for each one. As I documented months ago when I went back to iPhone 6+, I was getting an average of 2 more hours on my iPhone than the Note 5. I did not change the way I used each device...made settings identical. I guessed it has to do with the Note 5 having a higher resolution screen than the iPhone and therefore using more battery for that. Not 100% sure but I was pretty thorough about the whole thing.

When I read that the Note 7 had a bigger battery but kept the same resolution and allows you to set it to 1080p, I decided to go back to the Note. For me, given my traveling and not having access to a charger at all times, the extras 2 hours is critical for me. If the Note 7 gives me 12-14 hours like my iPhone, I will be thrilled.
Oh I agree the note 7 will definitely out perform the note 5 battery wise at least it should based on what we are getting. I will definitely do test I pre ordered the black onyx.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

There is software and hardware differences between iPhone and all androids.

The Note 2 had a 3100 mAh battery and the Note 5 has a 3000 mAh battery. No way the battery technology of the Note 2 would run the Note 5 for any time.

Android does a lot more in the background than iPhone does, there are also more advances in Android apps today due to advances on hardware and software. Android apps can run and do more in the background than what the iPhone can allow.

That is why you have to tweak your Android and I know that is hard for people coming from iPhone to understand. Some people wants apps doing everything they can do in the background and some just have certain apps they want going that. We may give up a little battery life for some other advantages with Android.

Even something so silly as a couple of weeks ago.. My niece got me playing Pokémon Go with her. Very sunny day and she wanted to go downtown to play. My sister, my cousin and her daughter went with us. Two of us have Note 5's, we left the three iPhone users standing there taking turns shading the iPhone screen of each other so they could see the Pokémon on their screen. We walked on and didn't have to shade our Note 5's.

Screen brightness and a good autobrightness is important to me. I have a convertible and live in the south. I'm in the car a lot with the top down and the sun shinning on my screen. I never have a problem seeing it. I would love a battery that will get me through the time I get up until I go to bed, every day, no matter what I do. But.. If every once in a while I have to plug in the battery pack or I'm somewhere I can charge because I've had extra heavy use.. I'll take that trade. It is more often I need the features than I have to charge before bed. I use the spen a lot, to the point I rarely have a pen in my purse. I don't have to carry a pen and pad with me everywhere.

Both iPhone and Android users trade something. You just have to decide what you are willing to trade.

Siggystyle

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So I had the Note 5. And I loved it. But something that I noticed was the battery seemed to not be that great after only owning it for a couple months.

I was getting about 8-10 hours and I'm a power user. But really only gmail, Facebook, web surfing, office apps, and a lot of texting. Of course using Feedly and reading Android forums.

The iPhone 6s Plus gives me 10-12 consistently and doesn't drain battery when sleeping. I noticed on my Note if not using overnight and not plugged in it would drop 5-7% but iPhone doesn't even drop 1%.

I prefer Android and I really love Pen and the features that offers.

So with all of that said, I am reading bigger battery on the Note 7 but the screen resolution remains the same so it seems like it would actually boost the battery vs having to compensate for better resolution.

Thoughts on this? I'd love to make the move, grab that coral blue, and stay with Android. Sure my whole family is iPhone and I like the iMessage features, texting from my Mac, etc.

But I really miss my Note. Now with this I am excited but I REALLY need 10-12 hours of battery for a power user.
I would think that with the Note 7's newly customized power saving features, that it would really provide what you wete missing beforw (not to mention everything else packed into this bad boy)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2