Note 2 Battery vs Note 3-7

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I know the Note 7 isn't out just yet, but I decided to put this here since it will be released very soon.

I'm curious as to what happened to standby and general battery performance as a whole.

The Note 2 was rated at 800 hours of standby time. Eight...hundred...hours. That's more than the iPads get! Screen on Time also averaged out at 6-8 hours real world use.

It was no wonder people could literally go days on one charge with little to no "optimizing." I couldn't imagine how much more the Note 2 could squeeze out with Doze.

Once the Note 3 came out, it all went downhill from there.

Ultra Power Saving Mode can't even squeeze out as much standby as a Note 2 can. UPSM gives you about a third of the standby with all the stripped down features.

I know, more features are and stronger processors are put in; however; aren't they more energy efficient than previous versions? I thought battery life was supposed to get better and better. It seems we've struck a plateau. The average Galaxy S7 Edge battery life is no better or worse than the average Note 4, or Note 5 for that matter despite the better architecture.

Maybe someone with a better understanding can explain it to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The average Galaxy S7 Edge battery life is no better or worse than the average Note 4, or Note 5 for that matter despite the better architecture.

That is not true. The S7E does get better battery life than these 2.

Also, the Note 2 was only 720p if I recall. The Note 3 was 1080p, We're up to 1440p now, so there is more strain on the batteries. Honestly, I would wait to see what battery life folks are getting on normal use after a few weeks of the phone being available to the general public, before wondering how it will do.

I guarantee you there will be dozens of battery-related threads the moment it comes out :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Simple answer.. Software, hardware and feature upgrades. Also take into account app upgrades that take advantage of the above upgrades.

My Note 2 didn't take the place of my computer, my Note 5 basically does.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had every note made thus far with the exception of the first Note. In day-to-day use I don't recall the Note 2 being significantly better than the any of the other models. They all seemed to run out of juice at about the same time (give or take).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Battery life of the S7 Edge is better than the Note 5 which was better than the Note 4. The Note 7 is the Note 5 with a 16.67% larger battery, rather than the 20% larger battery that the S7 Edge had. Expecting Note 7 and S7 Edge to have almost identical battery life.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
To a degree battery technology has improved. In approximately the same footprint as the Note 2, the Note 7 has a battery that is 500 mAh larger.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 vs Samsung GALAXY Note II T-Mobile vs Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Visual phone size compare
The Note 2 had a 3100 mAh battery.

The Note 5 has a 3000 mAh battery.

A smaller battery in the Note 5, the technology advances, hardware advances, app advances included.. If the battery technology hadn't advanced so much, the 3100 mAh battery of the Note 2 wouldn't be enough to run the Note 5 for more than a couple of minutes at the most.

Smaller battery and MAJOR advances in hardware, software and apps and app usage. Without the battery advances, basically a car battery would be required for the Note 5 😆

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Battery life of the S7 Edge is better than the Note 5 which was better than the Note 4. The Note 7 is the Note 5 with a 16.67% larger battery, rather than the 20% larger battery that the S7 Edge had. Expecting Note 7 and S7 Edge to have almost identical battery life.
I'm hoping the Note 7 will continue and have a little better battery than the S7. Don't burst my bubble please!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49