Note 7 vs iPhone 6s Speedtest

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I can see my time on this forum will be limited. If you don't have experience with multiple OS's and hardware, then your opinion is myopic and heavily biased.

By not reading the link I provided, it means you have contempt for facts.

Yes, I understand this is "Android" central but come on. To be so entrenched in an OS/side as to not evaluate objective points... that's just. Well, I guess I can't say what it is as I'm sure I'll have my post deleted by a mod.

I have spent years with Window, OSX and even dabbled in Linux my fair share.

I have spent a ton of time with Android and iOS. I cannot comment on any Microsoft phones.

My point is this, read because you want to learn something. If you think, that by reading an iPhone review, your world view will be crushed and TEOTWAWKI will rain down on you, I feel truly sorry for you.

One OS cannot exist without the other. They are what we have now. To have a discontent for one means you take life far too seriously.

Fanboy-ism, as the kids call it... kool aid flows both ways.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I can see my time on this forum will be limited. If you don't have experience with multiple OS's and hardware, then your opinion is myopic and heavily biased.

Yes, I understand this is "Android" central but come on. To be so entrenched in an OS/side as to not evaluate objective points... that's just. Well, I guess I can't say what it is as I'm sure I'll have my post deleted by a mod.

I have spent a ton of time with Android and iOS. I cannot comment on any Microsoft phones.

My point is this, read because you want to learn something. If you think, that by reading an iPhone review, your world view will be crushed and TEOTWAWKI will rain down on you, I feel truly sorry for you.

One OS cannot exist without the other. They are what we have now. To have a discontent for one means you take life far too seriously.

Jumping to conclusions without having all the information is as bad as everything you mentioned there. Hey dude, I change my phones at least every other month, I've had 3 iPhones in that mix, so I don't need to learn anything by going to a link or read elsewhere what I already know, you insist us in read something to try to get mad at Samsung for not adding more great specs and hardware to the already exceptional but expensive ones they already have.

Again, I couldn't care less if my choice of phone is milliseconds slower than other phones, the phones I want and buy MUST have everything I need and it must wow me and keep me interested and wanting to use it, not to just get tired and bored of it in days, like the last almighty iPhone I mistakenly bought, I sold it less than a week later and went back to a Sony Xperia Z3, and couldn't been happier at that time. The other phone I've sold as fast as the iPhone, was the Nexus 6 I got last year, as boring as the iPhone, never go back to Pure Vanilla again. You want to know something else, my next phone won't be the Note 7, my next phone will be a ZTE Axon 7 that should arrive next week, I'm keeping my S7 edge and then when the Note 7 gets a good price reduction I'll get one. Yes I'm a fan, of great phones, not brands, and the Note 7, will simply be the GREAT phone of 2016.

If what you want is us to back you up on this, you may find one or two here that will gladly do it, but most of users here are just like me, we know what we want and don't think that no matter what Samsung may have left out of this great phone, will have any impact on the great experience that every Note user always get with their phones. If it's not what you were expecting then sorry but the doors are always open, just don't let them hit you on your way out...

Last edited:

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Apple is so far behind the times! No fast or wireless charging?????..
Apple's latest release was so small you needed a magnifying glass to see the screen!...I forgot! the phone came with one!
Thank you Apple for releasing another BORING phone!

Posted via the Android Central App

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple is so far behind the times! No fast or wireless charging?????..
Apple's latest release was so small you needed a magnifying glass to see the screen!...I forgot! the phone came with one!
Thank you Apple for releasing another BORING phone!

It isn't even out yet.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
For me, as long as the device can do all my social media, play a few videos and take great pictures. it doesn't really matter about performance. ^_^ They both look fantastic.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I have used the 6s Plus and the note 5. Even though similar tests showed the 6s beating the note 5, after using both devices, I can say that for me, the speed in opening or transitioning through apps didn't really bother me much on the note 5. But there were really some issues that I disliked about the iPhone 6s Plus though my admittedly heavy usage. This is a comparison for my note 5 with my iPhone 6s Plus.

Iphone pro
[ ] Touch id better than note 5. More accurate and quicker*
[ ] Feels very fast, faster than the note 5 when working properly.
[ ] Tapatalk app is more refined
[ ] New notifications turns on the screen*
[ ] Shows Bluetooth battery life*
[ ] More control over how notifications show*
[ ] Live photos is pretty cool*
[ ] Battery life especially on more demanding apps is excellent on the 6sp, substantially better than the Note 5.
[ ] Battery life in very low signal areas is way better on the 6sp, substantially better than the Note 5.

Iphone con
[ ] Sometimes it takes a while after reading an email for the count tag to be reduced on the home screen*
[ ] Swiftkey keyboard cannot be resized,no number row,some security switches back to stock*
[ ] Gmail cannot be set to auto jump to the older email after deleting current email*
[ ] Widgets on the home screen not as refined as Android*
[ ] Less customizations*
[ ] No folders*
[ ] Stock email app can only be set to 15 minute fetch at the quickest for Gmail
[ ] No button to delete email in the in box in the stock app, must long press the archive button spps
[ ] Kick apps out of memory when running in the background . for example when downloading pictures from amazon photos, it will stop every 60 to 100 pictures or so and I would have to open the app again,youtube uploads stop when app isn't open.
[ ] Can't set default apps*
[ ] App update requires wifi*
[ ] Chrome buggy,crashes frequently*
[ ] No double click to open camera*
[ ] Doesn't register nail as a touch,note 5 does.*
[ ] No 5ghz hotspot*
[ ] Light touches sometimes do not register on the iPhone,same touch will register on the note 5*
[ ] Note 5 seems to do better in very low signal areas*
[ ] Can't show band in the top bar
[ ] Gpm streaming stops occasionally*
[ ] Using Swiftkey,sometimes you can't see what you are typing as the keyboard blocks the screen where you are typing*
[ ] Cannot set the iPhone to switch to vibrate automatically when in a certain area(note 5 can do this with Tasker or similar*
[ ] If you use a lot of apps then the system would start to get laggy and crash prone . you can force close all apps once in a while to help mitigate this,as well as shut off and re start the iPhone.
[ ] Also with a lot of apps in memory, background usage for uploading and downloading is severely limited. For example, Amazon photos or youtube can do some uploading in the background when all apps are cleared from memory or when few apps are in memory. But once you have a lot of apps in memory, the apps need to be in the foreground to do uploading.*
[ ] Both amazon and Google photos has the option to upload only while charging on the note 5,but not on the iPhone.*
[ ] In low signal areas, usually turning on and off airplane mode would kick it back to usable lte on the note 5. On the iPhone, this didn't kick it back to lte

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/590861-i-used-6sp-week-back-n5-now.html

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Note 7 got crushed. Needs some optimization. My note 5 and s7 edge with note 7 port runs MUCH faster

Considering other devices like the Force use the 820 and is fast and your 7E as you attest is fast, would it not seem there is something funky
about the benchmarks? My guess is yes.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Although it got beaten I never put stock in videos like those. First everyone uses their device differently. On day to day usage you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. Also no one uses their device like that constantly clicking on different apps. So take that for what it is.

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
That speed benchmark isn't a good measure of real world use. Most people don't have multiple large games running in the background. What caught me by surprise is how many apps reloaded on the note 7.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
That speed benchmark isn't a good measure of real world use. Most people don't have multiple large games running in the background. What caught me by surprise is how many apps reloaded on the note 7.

That is not by accident

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough.

I have owned 3 Android phones (actually still have them all) and 4 iPhones (currently using a 6S Plus.

Android OEM's have cleaned their acts up, to some extent and Apple has rested on its laurels. This is a subjective view of mine.

Android itself has also matured a good bit and iOS has as well but still, we all need a little change from time to time :)

We all want the best performance because we pay for the best performance.

In this area, Samsung and Apple both could improve.

If this Note slows down for me, I'll find a ROM that supports the S Pen and move on with life. I'm running Cyanogen Temasek on a 2 year old Android phone and even it appears faster than the Note 7 and it's definitely faster than my 6S.
IOS also has barely evolved which is ridiculous, Where at least Android has. I'll take a company who is willing to bring new ideas to the table than someone who sits back and makes the same crap year after year.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I never really take these tests seriously.

I do watch them from time to time just to see what's up, and I always come to the same conclusion. Speed tests like these don't tell the real story. You have to use them yourself in the real-world on your own usage pattern to really get the full-picture, since these speed tests are conducted in fixed conditions and may not tell you all you need to know.

But, enough of that, let's talk about the video.

The iPhone launching the games much faster is not a surprise. The 6s has an NVMe-based storage controller, which gives it pretty damn good I/O performance. I use an iPad Pro 12.9, which has the same NVMe controller, and it's speedy, especially when combined with Apple's specific iOS optimizations (though iOS 9 isn't brilliant in terms of polish, TBH). The Galaxy Note7 uses a UFS storage controller, though it's unclear right now if they're using the newer one based on Samsung's 3D V-NAND tech. Perhaps the most interesting (and baffling part) is how the Galaxy Note7 manages memory.

Compared to the S7 edge, which kept nearly every app in the speed test in memory, the Note7 seems to exhibit the same issue that plagued both the Galaxy S6 and OnePlus 3, being that apps tend to be kicked out of memory far too soon. I'm not sure why, but perhaps a software update will be rolled out soon to address this, especially since the Note7 isn't widely available yet. Another interesting thing is that in India (where C4ETech is based), the Note7 won't be officially available over there until September 2nd. Just something to note. It's disappointing to see that, especially since the S7e in the same channel did quite well, but perhaps this will be sorted soon.

In short, we'll have to wait and see when we get our phones. But I have a feeling that both phones will be pretty quick in real-world use.

Last edited:

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
S7E has an ok but not perfect memory management, with custom kernels i rarely get any app reloaded, unless i have two heavy games on background.

Note 7 seems to do even worse, sammy still don't know how to manage ram, maybe they should ask LG.