question on att next

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you ok with handing over your note 7 after you've paid a nut and get nothing in return but a new 24 month plan for a note 8? I tend to think more like your ol' lady, Rationally.
Hey you may make a ton of money and if you're ok with that more power to you.

But you did get something out of it. You got to use it for the year. I understand holding on until you pay it off but by then you're not going to get much for it and just wind up starting a new plan anyway. Just look at it like renting or leasing. You pay for the time you used and then upgrade to a shiny new one each year. And the extras and gift cards you get for getting as well ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no. If your going with their 5GB plan it's $50(plan)+$25(access fee)+monthly phone payment.
So $75 for your plan, plus the phone. So around $100 a month.

Thanks

Posted from Android Central.
on Samsung Galaxy s5

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what the $75 you was quoted for. It could be the plan + phone, plan only. Just don't know the details of the $75 you were quoted. In any event the phone would cost either $29 or $36 if purchased on NEXT and the rest of your coats would be plan. Also you have to pay taxes upfront on the entire device cost no matter which plan you select.

Thanks

on Samsung Galaxy s5

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
If you keep it for 2 years, you benefit by about paying yourself back about $200-300, depending on the going rate for the phone (selling it). Much better deal if you keep a phone for 2 years...but if its worth that extra money to have the latest, than right on. Normally it is to me but the Note 5 was not at all exciting.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
At the end it's the same price paid. It all depends on the user and how frequent they want to upgrade on which one makes sense. For next every year you only have to pay 50% of the device cost to be able to trade it back in and get a newer one. For regular next you have to pay 80% of the device cost.

So say for instance you want the note 8. If you're on next every year by this time next year you would have paid 50% ($440) of the note 7 and you can trade that in, break even and start another next plan for the note 8. But for the regular next plan you wouldn't have reached 80% ($704) and not eligible and would be required to pay the amount to get to 80% to trade it back in and break even. So at the end of the day cost efficiency will be relative to how often you want to upgrade. I did the next every year since it's only 7 bucks extra a month.

Thank you!!

Zello_Police

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
But you did get something out of it. You got to use it for the year. I understand holding on until you pay it off but by then you're not going to get much for it and just wind up starting a new plan anyway. Just look at it like renting or leasing. You pay for the time you used and then upgrade to a shiny new one each year. And the extras and gift cards you get for getting as well ;)

I guess it's whatever is worth to the person.
Out of principle if I can avoid giving at&t any more $ than I have to better off.
Unless my work or business account is leasing anything for me that can be written off, fine.
Otherwise, leasing is not worth it for me.

What's this nonsense to have to pay 80% of the value of a device and have to give it back to the death star like sheep and them turn it around for even more profit.

Sorry man it just makes me mad. I know it's a necessary evil. I just refuse to submit to these devils.

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I wish we didn't have to give back the device. I want the Note 7 and it may be the very last note for me because it will have everything I want. I paid off the remaining balance of my Note 5 to be ready to get the Note 7, but I'm not trading in the Note 5. It's another backup phone.

Zello_Police

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
at&t Next uses the term "trade in" very loosely. When you trade something in you usually get some sort of residual value back. In this case it is more of a return.

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Pay it off and keep it. What do you mean give it back. Don't give them any ideas. Next thing they're gonna want the phone back after you pay it off.
'Give back' was my way of saying trade it in for a new device. I'm not trading in my Note 5. I'm keeping it as it Is already paid off and will be getting the Note 7.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I think this old gal is understanding the next plan better. Still have couple questions for att, to fully understand options. 😉
But your reply helped.

on Samsung Galaxy s5

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Pay it off and keep it. What do you mean give it back. Don't give them any ideas. Next thing they're gonna want the phone back after you pay it off.

Oops, sorry, just saw this post and had to ask.

If you keep and pay phone off, does your monthly amount go down to just the plan amount? If you don't start a new plan?

on Samsung Galaxy s5

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Oops, sorry, just saw this post and had to ask.

If you keep and pay phone off, does your monthly amount go down to just the plan amount? If you don't start a new plan?

on Samsung Galaxy s5

Yes.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Are you ok with handing over your note 7 after you've paid a nut and get nothing in return but a new 24 month plan for a note 8? I tend to think more like your ol' lady, Rationally.
Hey you may make a ton of money and if you're ok with that more power to you.

I make sure it's paid off, then I sell it or hand it down to one of my kids. I currently have the Note 5 and it's already paid off.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I pay an extra $42 a month for the 12 month Next plan. Same deal when I go get it on the 19th. Go in pay the tax on the new phone trade in old one. Walk out the store within 10 min.