my journey to the note 7

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Bought a note 4 on release day two years ago.. best phone ive owned, first phone with gear vr.. my first note... s pen... customizability... beauty(the white one is CLEAN) last year note 5 was announced.. it almost looked like a downgrade in quite a few aspects so i stuck to my N4.. no sd slot no removable battery.. no ir blaster i believe? This year the note 7 rumors start to flood in.. 6gb ram 128 base storage.. iris scanner... android nougat.. everyone and their little sister is hyped for a mega phone.. august 2nd comes.. The note 7 is revealed..and while well recieved.. did not have nearly as much power... my initial thought was damn they bait and switched us.... Still ended up pre ordering day one.. the coral blue... not sure if i REALLY wanted this phone for 935 dollars after taxes.

My only reason for not being fully comitted to the note 7 was that I was curious about the iphone 7..

Reason being.. i always had this little feeling that iphones ran a little bit smoother... a little bit faster... responded a little quicker to your touch.. scrolled a little smoother...

Im no expert, but i KNOW im right to a point in what im saying here..

Ive read people saying that its not faster...its that the animations are slower..so it makes it seem faster... that almost convinced me..but after more reading...i dont agree...

My conclusion is that because apples OS is made by them..for them... it runs at a more perfect pace than its android counter part.. in which has to be designed on an open platform for many devices to be able to run the OS.

With all that being said.. i dont think that the little difference in margin of speed and fluidity in favor of Apple is enough to turn me away from the Note 7, which outside of that one area.. is the better phone by a long shot..the feature packed, blue coral beast will be in my possesion on the 19th..

goodbye, my lovely note 4.

Nygiants1991

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
First off welcome. And congrats on making that decision. I agree 100% with the apple made iphone for them by them. Both hardware and software. So certain things like fluidity and battery life will probably always be a win in apples book. But I again agree that's all they have on us. Camera, display, features, customization, open source, etc...all done better by android and more specifically samsung. Join the wait train with Us. Just a week away ( hopefully less for some)

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung never bait and switched anyone. 6 gigs of RAM, 128 gb storage, SD 821/823 were always just rumors. The problem is, everyone gets all worked up over rumors and the final product never lives up to the hype. Then people start getting pissed off and claim they were cheated out of their dream phone which never existed in the first place.

And if you're disappointed that the note 7 doesn't have all these beastly specs, why in the world would you be looking at an iPhone? iPhones never have the latest specs. Their biggest advantage is the synergy between the hardware and software. Keep in mind that I'm not dogging iPhones at all, they are really good smartphones. They're just not my preference.

I just hope that people take all the rumors with a grain of salt next time, and they won't be so let down. All smartphones have some kind of compromise, it boils down to what compromises you can live with. I for one will be enjoying my note 7 with 4 gb of RAM, 64 gb storage, SD 820, sealed battery and all. Others will enjoy other phones. That's the beauty of choice 😊.

Posted via the Android Central App

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I think what bugs me about Apple is they charge more then almost anyone for their smartphone but the hardware is usually quite dated compared to other flagships. So really you're paying a huge premium for their software, and they make a killing by using much cheaper hardware then other such as Samsung.

I give them credit for their fluidity between the hardware and software, issue is, the hardware on their phones is running at max capacity as well. So when they start brining in more features, like iOS 10, they usually take a big performance hit unless you get the flagship model being introduced with the new OS

Long time apple user here, but I'm done with Apple, bored of it now. Been resting on their wins from a couple years ago, done waiting for them to bring some real innovations to the table

Note 7 pre ordered today and can't be more excited to get it in my hands

exdrinker

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Bought a note 4 on release day two years ago.. best phone ive owned, first phone with gear vr.. my first note... s pen... customizability... beauty(the white one is CLEAN) last year note 5 was announced.. it almost looked like a downgrade in quite a few aspects so i stuck to my N4.. no sd slot no removable battery.. no ir blaster i believe? This year the note 7 rumors start to flood in.. 6gb ram 128 base storage.. iris scanner... android nougat.. everyone and their little sister is hyped for a mega phone.. august 2nd comes.. The note 7 is revealed..and while well recieved.. did not have nearly as much power... my initial thought was damn they bait and switched us.... Still ended up pre ordering day one.. the coral blue... not sure if i REALLY wanted this phone for 935 dollars after taxes.

My only reason for not being fully comitted to the note 7 was that I was curious about the iphone 7..

Reason being.. i always had this little feeling that iphones ran a little bit smoother... a little bit faster... responded a little quicker to your touch.. scrolled a little smoother...

Im no expert, but i KNOW im right to a point in what im saying here..

Ive read people saying that its not faster...its that the animations are slower..so it makes it seem faster... that almost convinced me..but after more reading...i dont agree...

My conclusion is that because apples OS is made by them..for them... it runs at a more perfect pace than its android counter part.. in which has to be designed on an open platform for many devices to be able to run the OS.

With all that being said.. i dont think that the little difference in margin of speed and fluidity in favor of Apple is enough to turn me away from the Note 7, which outside of that one area.. is the better phone by a long shot..the feature packed, blue coral beast will be in my possesion on the 19th..

goodbye, my lovely note 4.
I will agree that Apple is more fluid but waiting for the animations on an iPhone can be as annoying as the lag on the Note 4 when pressing the recent apps button. The Note 5 response speed and near perfect fluidity makes waiting for the iPhone animation feel like a trip to the dentist. The Note 7 should even be better.

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input gentlemen, what cases are we going with? Ive got two coral blue cases coming from amazon(spigen and obliq)..should i grab a screen protector from amazon too? I Price matched a quick wirless charger at best buy for 46 last night..read that they do not affect your battery the way a wired fast charger does... might grab another one..

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input gentlemen, what cases are we going with? Ive got two coral blue cases coming from amazon(spigen and obliq)..should i grab a screen protector from amazon too? I Price matched a quick wirless charger at best buy for 46 last night..read that they do not affect your battery the way a wired fast charger does... might grab another one..

I bought 2 cases. The Damda slide from Verus and the parallax series from Caseology. I like the Damda slide for when I don't wanna carry a wallet.

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the Spigen Liquid Crystal. I absolutely hate cases, and it'll probably only be used the first couple weeks I have my phone til it starts irritating me. I do like Spigen the best though.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
iPhones are good phones, well made, with integrated OS and hardware. Most in these parts won't admit it but iPhones are very good phones.

IMO, iOS is inferior to Android in about 100 ways, so I would never use an iPhone, but that doesn't mean iPhones are not great choices for a lot of people.

Keep in mind that the general public isn't like "us" in the forums or tech blogs. It's easy to forget, but it is so. MANY MANY folks like phones that are just easy to use, and "just work". Many do not need to customize the heck out of everything, run widgets, or run 10 IFTTT actions based on multiple events. They just prefer to have a nice looking phone that runs smooth and does what they need it to (which is usually Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat right? :).

iPhones work well for lots of folks, and I do not begrudge or bash anyone that uses them. I happen to prefer Android (by a wide margin), others happen to prefer iOS/iPhones. It's OK, really.. :)

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
iPhones are good phones, well made, with integrated OS and hardware. Most in these parts won't admit it but iPhones are very good phones.

iOS is quite inferior to Android in about 100 ways IMO, so I would never use an iPhone, but that doesn't mean iPhones are not great choices for a lot of people.

Keep in mind that the general public isn't like "us" in the forums or tech blogs. It's easy to forget, but it is so. MANY MANY folks like phones that are just easy to use, and "just work". Many do not need to customize the heck out of everything, run widgets, or run 10 IFTTT actions based on multiple events. They just prefer to have a nice looking phone that runs smooth and does what they need it to (which is usually Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat right? :).

iPhones work well for lots of folks, and I do not begrudge or bash anyone that uses them. I happen to prefer Android (by a wide margin), others happen to prefer iOS/iPhones. It's OK, really.. :)

I've had every iPhone since the 3G and enjoyed them all. I like iOS a lot. There are things I like better about Android, but other things I like more about iOS. No platform is perfect. I can use either as a daily driver and not run into any major problems. Widgets are one of those things I never got into. To me they're too cluttered looking. The main reason I'm getting the Note is because of the S-Pen. I've never had a phone with built in stylus support.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I think what bugs me about Apple is they charge more then almost anyone for their smartphone but the hardware is usually quite dated compared to other flagships. So really you're paying a huge premium for their software, and they make a killing by using much cheaper hardware then other such as Samsung.

I give them credit for their fluidity between the hardware and software, issue is, the hardware on their phones is running at max capacity as well. So when they start brining in more features, like iOS 10, they usually take a big performance hit unless you get the flagship model being introduced with the new OS

Long time apple user here, but I'm done with Apple, bored of it now. Been resting on their wins from a couple years ago, done waiting for them to bring some real innovations to the table

Note 7 pre ordered today and can't be more excited to get it in my hands

I don't think i'd agree. Their CPU's destroy android CPU's in single core tests. Sure android wins in multicore but it hasn't helped the speed of the phones. Their GPU is faster than anything on android. With the 6S series they update their storage so it's significantly faster. Their cameras have been slipping a little though. Keeping 16gb around as the base storage is just ridiculous.
So I wouldn't say it's entirely software. And if it were why would it matter if the device is faster and more smooth than anything else? I admit the iphone 7 rumors are disappointing as is ios10 aside from opening up siri, maps and messages to developers. Though early rumors for ios11 and the iphone 8 are quite good. Rumors of course.
I primarily used outlook as my email app on ios and it lets me select default apps so it was linking me directly to chrome and google maps. I used the google search app on ios and it links me to googles suite of apps. So while not system level ability to set default apps it was working pretty well for me. I can share from one app into another. Deep linking everywhere. That fixed some of my ios complaints.

Pros and cons to both and I no longer think there's a clear cut winner. I own both and am happy with both even though they both have their issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon