Android 7.0 Nougat to hit the Galaxy Note7 in "two to three months"

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, apparently, we won't have to wait that long to get Android Nougat on the Galaxy Note7.

Apparently, Samsung's chief for mobile communications, D.J. Koh, has mentioned that Android 7.0 will be pushed to the Note7 in about 2-3 months.

"It is very important for us to offer up-to-date information with the new OS, but what's more crucial is to build a stable and seamless platform for users. That's why we are planning to do enough beta testing before any OS updates"

Note that this may assume unlocked models. US carrier models may receive the update at a later date.

However, given Samsung's update track record, if they can pull this off, it should make users very happy.

Source: Galaxy Note 7 debuts here
Android 7.0 update will hit Samsung Galaxy Note7 in two to three months - GSMArena.com news

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
That's fine with me! I don't want to be a beta tester. One thing I learned from having my Nexus 6P and iPhone, new OS downloaders are beta testers. I know they don't like to hear it, but I've owned all of the Nexuses (except the 5x) as well as several iPhones and being first to a new OS is not always the greatest.

Last edited:

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Cool not like we are missing much anyways. A lot of 7.0 features are already on touchwiz lol

S7 edge...Soon to be Note 7 edge

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
That's fine with me! I don't want to be a beta tester. One thing I learned from having my Nexus 6P and iPhone, new OS downloaders are beta testers. I know they don't like to hear it, but I've owned all of the Nexuses (except the 5x) as well as several iPhones and being first to a new OS is not always the greatest.

I agree, with such an expensive new device, one should enjoy a well (enough) tested Android version for a little while. After some time, though, some of us might want to start experimenting with tweaks and new versions...

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. This phone will be well featured and should run flawlessly. Samsung's 6.0.1 is closer to Nougat than most people realize.
I doubt we get anything pushed from the carriers before 2017.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, apparently, we won't have to wait that long to get Android Nougat on the Galaxy Note7.

Apparently, Samsung's chief for mobile communications, D.J. Koh, has mentioned that Android 7.0 will be pushed to the Note7 in about 2-3 months.

"It is very important for us to offer up-to-date information with the new OS, but what's more crucial is to build a stable and seamless platform for users. That's why we are planning to do enough beta testing before any OS updates"

Note that this may assume unlocked models. US carrier models may receive the update at a later date.

However, given Samsung's update track record, if they can pull this off, it should make users very happy.

Android 7.0 update will hit Samsung Galaxy Note7 in two to three months - GSMArena.com news
The Verizon s7 seems to be getting security patches quicker than the usa unlocked s7... Hopefully that would carry over to software updates

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have my Google News set up to receive any news released about the Note 7. This morning I saw several feeds that quoted Samsung's president of Mobile Communications as saying the Note 7 will be the first Samsung device to get the upgrade to Android 7.0 and it would come by October or November. I know there were similar predictions last year, but I'm just telling you that this is what he is saying.

Posted via the Android Central App

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I am buying my Note 7 out right, paying full price. So as soon as I do, I am going to contact T-Mobile about having it unlocked. If I moved to another carrier, for instance Straight Talk, How would this affect me getting the Android nougat update? I know that carrier locked phones have to receive the update from that carrier but what about in this situation?

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 SUPPOSEDLY to Get Nougat This Year

Right, in the US it might end up getting delayed is my guess. The international one may get it on schedule though

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Why don't they do it like Google does for the Nexus brand of phones, post the images?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm getting my Note 7 through AT&T so I'll see Nougat about the time that Popsicle gets announced.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlocked Note 7 and Updates

There is a thread over at Reddit that talks about this. And from what it seems, it's a T-Mobile pushed out update and if you're not on their network, you're unable to get it.

I experienced the same with the S6 Active that I had unlocked and used on T-Mobile. I didn't get updates. Maybe it's changed since but that's what I am reading.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I am buying my Note 7 out right, paying full price. So as soon as I do, I am going to contact T-Mobile about having it unlocked. If I moved to another carrier, for instance Straight Talk, How would this affect me getting the Android nougat update? I know that carrier locked phones have to receive the update from that carrier but what about in this situation?

You may wish to consider waiting for the Samsung Unlocked version directly from Samsung or through a retailer such as Best Buy, then you would get the updates directly from Samsung.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

If you use the Straight Talk/T-Mobile sim card, then the updates should come from T-Mobile. I don't know where the updates come from if you use the Straight Talk/non-carrier sim card, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad