Android 7.0 Nougat to hit the Galaxy Note7 in "two to three months"

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Unlocked Note 7 and Updates

Be warned that I had an unlocked US Galaxy S7 activated on T-Mobile and as of early this month it was still on the May security update. I wasn't getting squat in terms of updates. Also while wifi calling worked fine on T-Mobile's network, it would not work on Verizon's (with a Verizon SIM). So the only way to get wifi calling on VZW is if you have their carrier branded version of the phone. Wifi calling was more important to me and combined with the fact that I wasn't even getting UPDATES at all, let alone in a timely manner, I decided for me the unlocked version wasn't worth it.

There's nothing saying things won't be different with the Note 7...I'm just sharing my experience with the Galaxy S7.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Be warned that I had an unlocked US Galaxy S7 activated on T-Mobile and as of early this month it was still on the May security update. I wasn't getting squat in terms of updates. Also while wifi calling worked fine on T-Mobile's network, it would not work on Verizon's (with a Verizon SIM). So the only way to get wifi calling on VZW is if you have their carrier branded version of the phone. Wifi calling was more important to me and combined with the fact that I wasn't even getting UPDATES at all, let alone in a timely manner, I decided for me the unlocked version wasn't worth it.

There's nothing saying things won't be different with the Note 7...I'm just sharing my experience with the Galaxy S7.

French,
You make a good point about the lack of Verizon WiFi calling. It is another point one needs to make before purchasing one version over another. Thanks for the reminder.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

I am buying my Note 7 out right, paying full price. So as soon as I do, I am going to contact T-Mobile about having it unlocked. If I moved to another carrier, for instance Straight Talk, How would this affect me getting the Android nougat update? I know that carrier locked phones have to receive the update from that carrier but what about in this situation?

Posted via the Android Central App
Do you have a link to where I might buy it outright? Or are you buying it outright from a carrier?

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 7 SUPPOSEDLY to Get Nougat This Year

Hope 7.0 comes out before my note gets here so I can try the full version for a day or two. Been on beta since the second day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care how long it takes as long as it's stable. There's really nothing coming in 7.0 that I'm worried about missing.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 7 SUPPOSEDLY to Get Nougat This Year

Right, in the US it might end up getting delayed is my guess. The international one may get it on schedule though

Yes, let us hope the international one catches up. I bet Samsung sells quite a lot of the "international" units...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
File level encryption and seamless updates are two things that might be important.

Those will not be coming to the Note 7 through an OTA, but hopefully they make file level encryption an option for people after the fact.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad