08-13-2016 12:33 PM
29 12
tools
    So, apparently, we won't have to wait that long to get Android Nougat on the Galaxy Note7.

Apparently, Samsung's chief for mobile communications, D.J. Koh, has mentioned that Android 7.0 will be pushed to the Note7 in about 2-3 months.

"It is very important for us to offer up-to-date information with the new OS, but what's more crucial is to build a stable and seamless platform for users. That's why we are planning to do enough beta testing before any OS updates"

Note that this may assume unlocked models. US carrier models may receive the update at a later date.

However, given Samsung's update track record, if they can pull this off, it should make users very happy.

Source: Galaxy Note 7 debuts here
    Android 7.0 update will hit Samsung Galaxy Note7 in two to three months - GSMArena.com news
    08-12-2016 07:26 AM
    How long does it usually take T-Mobile to roll out the updates once they get it from Samsung?
    08-12-2016 07:38 AM
    That's fine with me! I don't want to be a beta tester. One thing I learned from having my Nexus 6P and iPhone, new OS downloaders are beta testers. I know they don't like to hear it, but I've owned all of the Nexuses (except the 5x) as well as several iPhones and being first to a new OS is not always the greatest.
    08-12-2016 07:45 AM
    How long does it usually take T-Mobile to roll out the updates once they get it from Samsung?
    Forever. Well at least it seems that way.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-12-2016 07:48 AM
    Cool not like we are missing much anyways. A lot of 7.0 features are already on touchwiz lol

S7 edge...Soon to be Note 7 edge
    PlaybookFanatic likes this.
    08-12-2016 07:54 AM
    That's fine with me! I don't want to be a beta tester. One thing I learned from having my Nexus 6P and iPhone, new OS downloaders are beta testers. I know they don't like to hear it, but I've owned all of the Nexuses (except the 5x) as well as several iPhones and being first to a new OS is not always the greatest.
    I agree, with such an expensive new device, one should enjoy a well (enough) tested Android version for a little while. After some time, though, some of us might want to start experimenting with tweaks and new versions...
    08-12-2016 07:57 AM
    Exactly. This phone will be well featured and should run flawlessly. Samsung's 6.0.1 is closer to Nougat than most people realize.
    I doubt we get anything pushed from the carriers before 2017.
    08-12-2016 08:07 AM
    So, apparently, we won't have to wait that long to get Android Nougat on the Galaxy Note7.

Apparently, Samsung's chief for mobile communications, D.J. Koh, has mentioned that Android 7.0 will be pushed to the Note7 in about 2-3 months.

"It is very important for us to offer up-to-date information with the new OS, but what's more crucial is to build a stable and seamless platform for users. That's why we are planning to do enough beta testing before any OS updates"

Note that this may assume unlocked models. US carrier models may receive the update at a later date.

However, given Samsung's update track record, if they can pull this off, it should make users very happy.

Android 7.0 update will hit Samsung Galaxy Note7 in two to three months - GSMArena.com news
    The Verizon s7 seems to be getting security patches quicker than the usa unlocked s7... Hopefully that would carry over to software updates
    08-12-2016 08:11 AM
    I have my Google News set up to receive any news released about the Note 7. This morning I saw several feeds that quoted Samsung's president of Mobile Communications as saying the Note 7 will be the first Samsung device to get the upgrade to Android 7.0 and it would come by October or November. I know there were similar predictions last year, but I'm just telling you that this is what he is saying.

08-12-2016 08:58 AM
    Sweet! I have a Lenovo S6000 tablet and the main issue with it is that it's stuck in 4.2.2.
    08-12-2016 08:59 AM
    I wonder if the carriers are on board with this.
    Siggystyle likes this.
    08-12-2016 09:01 AM
    I am buying my Note 7 out right, paying full price. So as soon as I do, I am going to contact T-Mobile about having it unlocked. If I moved to another carrier, for instance Straight Talk, How would this affect me getting the Android nougat update? I know that carrier locked phones have to receive the update from that carrier but what about in this situation?

08-12-2016 09:08 AM
    Right, in the US it might end up getting delayed is my guess. The international one may get it on schedule though
    Siggystyle likes this.
    08-12-2016 09:10 AM

Why don't they do it like Google does for the Nexus brand of phones, post the images?

08-12-2016 09:11 AM
    Great question, I am in the same situation and coming from a Moto X, I am used to decent updates.
    08-12-2016 09:16 AM
    Well I'm getting my Note 7 through AT&T so I'll see Nougat about the time that Popsicle gets announced.

08-12-2016 09:50 AM
    There is a thread over at Reddit that talks about this. And from what it seems, it's a T-Mobile pushed out update and if you're not on their network, you're unable to get it.

I experienced the same with the S6 Active that I had unlocked and used on T-Mobile. I didn't get updates. Maybe it's changed since but that's what I am reading.
    08-12-2016 09:51 AM
    I am buying my Note 7 out right, paying full price. So as soon as I do, I am going to contact T-Mobile about having it unlocked. If I moved to another carrier, for instance Straight Talk, How would this affect me getting the Android nougat update? I know that carrier locked phones have to receive the update from that carrier but what about in this situation?

You may wish to consider waiting for the Samsung Unlocked version directly from Samsung or through a retailer such as Best Buy, then you would get the updates directly from Samsung.
    08-12-2016 10:01 AM
    If you use the Straight Talk/T-Mobile sim card, then the updates should come from T-Mobile. I don't know where the updates come from if you use the Straight Talk/non-carrier sim card, though.
    08-12-2016 10:02 AM
    Because the images have to be approved by the carrier. So, it would take the same amount of time basically
    08-12-2016 10:07 AM
    Good info, thanks!

However, these 2 bits are a somewhat contradictory , unless "we" are using an unlocked version :-)

So, apparently, we won't have to wait that long to get Android Nougat on the Galaxy Note7

08-12-2016 10:25 AM
    Be warned that I had an unlocked US Galaxy S7 activated on T-Mobile and as of early this month it was still on the May security update. I wasn't getting squat in terms of updates. Also while wifi calling worked fine on T-Mobile's network, it would not work on Verizon's (with a Verizon SIM). So the only way to get wifi calling on VZW is if you have their carrier branded version of the phone. Wifi calling was more important to me and combined with the fact that I wasn't even getting UPDATES at all, let alone in a timely manner, I decided for me the unlocked version wasn't worth it.

There's nothing saying things won't be different with the Note 7...I'm just sharing my experience with the Galaxy S7.
    beh likes this.
    08-12-2016 10:35 AM
    Be warned that I had an unlocked US Galaxy S7 activated on T-Mobile and as of early this month it was still on the May security update. I wasn't getting squat in terms of updates. Also while wifi calling worked fine on T-Mobile's network, it would not work on Verizon's (with a Verizon SIM). So the only way to get wifi calling on VZW is if you have their carrier branded version of the phone. Wifi calling was more important to me and combined with the fact that I wasn't even getting UPDATES at all, let alone in a timely manner, I decided for me the unlocked version wasn't worth it.

There's nothing saying things won't be different with the Note 7...I'm just sharing my experience with the Galaxy S7.
    French,
    You make a good point about the lack of Verizon WiFi calling. It is another point one needs to make before purchasing one version over another. Thanks for the reminder.
    08-12-2016 01:45 PM

Do you have a link to where I might buy it outright? Or are you buying it outright from a carrier?
    08-12-2016 01:46 PM
    Hope 7.0 comes out before my note gets here so I can try the full version for a day or two. Been on beta since the second day.

Dawn Savoie-Goss likes this.
    08-12-2016 01:52 PM
29 12