Not all Note 7 demos apparently are created equal: Best Buy vs Verizon

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up that the Best Buy demos have a lot more junk running in the background making the device not as smooth as you would expect. It also disables a lot of settings like battery options where you can change the display resolution and other things. Thought I was imagining it so went back in Best Buy and the Verizon corporate store to compare.

Both stores have demo stuff running on the devices, but the Verizon Note 7's all on display were smooth and had all options. I was able to test the resolution options on the Verizon Note 7's, but not the Best Buy ones.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it's all Best Buy stores doing that or some tech at that one store.
Best Buy and Verizon store are only a block away from each other here so I'm thinking about checking out the Note 7 next week.

razortaz18

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The model at BestBuy also appears to be a demo specific model as it's model number ends in XX. I left BestBuy to try out a really Verizon model at a Verizon store. The two models are not the same software wise. For instance, the model at BestBuy did not show the NFC icon in the status bar when NFC was on. The Verizon model did show it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up that the Best Buy demos have a lot more junk running in the background making the device not as smooth as you would expect. It also disables a lot of settings like battery options where you can change the display resolution and other things. Thought I was imagining it so went back in Best Buy and the Verizon corporate store to compare.

Both stores have demo stuff running on the devices, but the Verizon Note 7's all on display were smooth and had all options. I was able to test the resolution options on the Verizon Note 7's, but not the Best Buy ones.

What was your takeaway overall? I know you were super interested in the display resolution changing. How did the screen look down-res'd? Any other impressions?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Verizon version in store... It looks like a fully functional phone with cellular service.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What was your takeaway overall? I know you were super interested in the display resolution changing. How did the screen look down-res'd? Any other impressions?
Display resolution works as it should, which is great. Still looks good. You notice with blurry small text on sites like Bluesnews. Still looks good for games and other non granular sized detail.

If I did not appreciate the Best Buy demo downgrade factor, I would not have a great impression. Verizon demo devices as noted here (pun intended) are real retail devices that do create a great impression.

Samsung has a direct sales relationship with Best Buy, so seems their fault. Inexcusable to demo like that by the actual manufacturer. Ironic.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Also the Best Buy Note 7 demo mode did not allow me to try the iris scanner and the Verizon Note 7 was not as locked down.

I was able to set it up, use it (It's incredibly quick BTW) and then I delete my eye recognition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish