Note 7 or iPhone 7, a unique and interesting choice to be made!

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The Note 7 will be an absolutely brilliant phone I reckon. I am waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out and will probably buy either the iPhone 7 or Note 7 depending on what the final specs and review of the iPhone 7 are. I hope nobody is offended by this post also talking about the iPhone, but I am genuinely looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 as my next phone - the first time ever I have considered both OS at the same time.

This has been my reasoning so far:

Note 7:

Good bits:

* Fairly comprehensive waterproofing - no worries about getting caught in a rainstorm or carrying your phone in a damp, humid pocket whilst you dry out.
* Wireless fast charging - up until now I have thought wireless charging to be a complete waste of time. I have a Galaxy S6 at the moment and a Samsung wireless charging pad for it, and I NEVER use it because it is so slow and unreliable. However, the new wireless chargers with fast charge look a lot better.
* In addition to wireless fast charging, a good battery life! I have an iPhone SE at the moment, and the battery life is just amazing. If the Note 7 is comparable it will be fantastic. My Galaxy S6 battery is dreadful, and now using an iPhone SE has underlined just how incredibly bad it is.
* That screen - probably the best smartphone screen ever. I think the 'edge' screen is a bit of a gimmick, but having said that, the design of the Note 7 and the way it wraps down the sides looks stunning. As long as it doesn't keep getting accidentally activated by your hand...
* 64GB memory plus expansion - at last, Samsung nails it with super-fast memory and expansion by MicroSD
* Camera - an f1.7 lens, 1.4micron pixels and OIS mean a class-leading camera - can the iPhone better it?
* The S-Pen now has 4096 levels of sensitivity! So if you are an artist it should be a real joy to use.
* USB-C connector - at last.
* Colour: That coral blue and the black versions both look stunning IMHO

Bad Bits:

Well, not much but...

* Iris scanner - not necessarily 'bad' but a gimmick to be honest. Could really have done without that, fingerprint is much more useful. There are so many situations where the Iris is going to be a pain.
* Samsung's memory handling - I haven't heard much about the 7 Edge memory management, other than it is an improvement on the S6 (which was basically pretty awful) but still not perfect.
* Touchwhizz - it really is much better now than it was, has some really useful features... but I am a bit bored of it now and it will still probably lag and stutter here and there - if it doesn't it will be the first phone they have ever built which doesn't!
* Not a vast amount different from the S7 Edge - the Note used to be very different from the S series, but this is kinda like just an S7 Edge with a pen (and retina scan, which I can't imagine many people considering as being anything really useful)
* Price - £750! Crazy expensive!
* No Android Nougat on release. How long will it be before Nougat arrives on it?
* Apparently still a horrendous finger-print magnet

iPHONE 7:

As for the iPhone 7, well, it's all still speculation at the moment, but potential interesting points will be:

* the camera - in particular the dual lens one; The camera on my iPhone SE is excellent and Apple spend a lot of time getting the camera right on iPhones; so it is possible they will be back on top here, although Samsung's camera is a hard act to beat. Can't wait to see!
* bluetooth taking over audio duties - this can be seen as both an advantage and disadvantage. For me, it's an advantage because I have been bluetooth headphones for over a year now. My Sony SBH80 earbuds are just superb - I'm on my third pair now due to the use and abuse they have had all over the world. Only thing at the moment is that whilst Android supports aptX, Apple doesn't. With the shift toward bluetooth audio, I am hoping Apple either add aptX or do something comparable.
* improved battery life and screen
* Waterproofing perhaps? Be great if it does.
* Force-feedback home button perhaps? The whole force-feedback green stuff is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but iOS 10 seems to be putting it to more good use now.
* Of course, the smoothness of iOS is far superior to any version of android I have used (HTC Sense came close though). But Androids ability to drag and drop films and music is better than iOS (although you can add films and songs etc to dropbox and do it that way now on iOS)

The negative will be it just looks like a slightly warmed-over iPhone 6 (if all the leaks are accurate). That's a shame, but not a deal-breaker for me personally as I will be using O2's 30GB tariff and so get a free 12 monthly upgrade.

I have to say I think android now looks like a more mature phone IOS than iOS at the moment, which looks like it's had bits stuck on, which of course, it has. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to iOS again though, the transition was not difficult for me at all (going from iOS to android when I got a Galaxy S3 took months of pain).

I find myself for the first time completely ambivalent over using iOS or Android. Both OS's are very close now in terms of what they offer the user, and I am happy with either, although will make sure both my wife and I have the same phone OS (especially iOS with iMessage and integration with our MacBooks)

Is anyone else feeling like me? !

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Personally think iris scanner is a break through in tech and will be used far more than people think

£750? I've heard no more than £700

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't see what benefit the iris scanner offers over a finger print reader myself, but it is more inconvenient. On a busy train, wearing glasses/sunglasses/using your phone whilst out running, all these will be a pain for iris scanning. I struggle to see where it is a clear benefit?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
The Note 7 will be an absolutely brilliant phone I reckon. I am waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out and will probably buy either the iPhone 7 or Note 7 depending on what the final specs and review of the iPhone 7 are. I hope nobody is offended by this post also talking about the iPhone, but I am genuinely looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 as my next phone - the first time ever I have considered both OS at the same time.

This has been my reasoning so far:

Note 7:

Good bits:

* Fairly comprehensive waterproofing - no worries about getting caught in a rainstorm or carrying your phone in a damp, humid pocket whilst you dry out.
* Wireless fast charging - up until now I have thought wireless charging to be a complete waste of time. I have a Galaxy S6 at the moment and a Samsung wireless charging pad for it, and I NEVER use it because it is so slow and unreliable. However, the new wireless chargers with fast charge look a lot better.
* In addition to wireless fast charging, a good battery life! I have an iPhone SE at the moment, and the battery life is just amazing. If the Note 7 is comparable it will be fantastic. My Galaxy S6 battery is dreadful, and now using an iPhone SE has underlined just how incredibly bad it is.
* That screen - probably the best smartphone screen ever. I think the 'edge' screen is a bit of a gimmick, but having said that, the design of the Note 7 and the way it wraps down the sides looks stunning. As long as it doesn't keep getting accidentally activated by your hand...
* 64GB memory plus expansion - at last, Samsung nails it with super-fast memory and expansion by MicroSD
* Camera - an f1.7 lens, 1.4micron pixels and OIS mean a class-leading camera - can the iPhone better it?
* The S-Pen now has 4096 levels of sensitivity! So if you are an artist it should be a real joy to use.
* USB-C connector - at last.
* Colour: That coral blue and the black versions both look stunning IMHO

Bad Bits:

Well, not much but...

* Iris scanner - not necessarily 'bad' but a gimmick to be honest. Could really have done without that, fingerprint is much more useful. There are so many situations where the Iris is going to be a pain.
* Samsung's memory handling - I haven't heard much about the 7 Edge memory management, other than it is an improvement on the S6 (which was basically pretty awful) but still not perfect.
* Touchwhizz - it really is much better now than it was, has some really useful features... but I am a bit bored of it now and it will still probably lag and stutter here and there - if it doesn't it will be the first phone they have ever built which doesn't!
* Not a vast amount different from the S7 Edge - the Note used to be very different from the S series, but this is kinda like just an S7 Edge with a pen (and retina scan, which I can't imagine many people considering as being anything really useful)
* Price - £750! Crazy expensive!
* No Android Nougat on release. How long will it be before Nougat arrives on it?
* Apparently still a horrendous finger-print magnet

iPHONE 7:

As for the iPhone 7, well, it's all still speculation at the moment, but potential interesting points will be:

* the camera - in particular the dual lens one; The camera on my iPhone SE is excellent and Apple spend a lot of time getting the camera right on iPhones; so it is possible they will be back on top here, although Samsung's camera is a hard act to beat. Can't wait to see!
* bluetooth taking over audio duties - this can be seen as both an advantage and disadvantage. For me, it's an advantage because I have been bluetooth headphones for over a year now. My Sony SBH80 earbuds are just superb - I'm on my third pair now due to the use and abuse they have had all over the world. Only thing at the moment is that whilst Android supports aptX, Apple doesn't. With the shift toward bluetooth audio, I am hoping Apple either add aptX or do something comparable.
* improved battery life and screen
* Waterproofing perhaps? Be great if it does.
* Force-feedback home button perhaps? The whole force-feedback green stuff is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but iOS 10 seems to be putting it to more good use now.
* Of course, the smoothness of iOS is far superior to any version of android I have used (HTC Sense came close though). But Androids ability to drag and drop films and music is better than iOS (although you can add films and songs etc to dropbox and do it that way now on iOS)

The negative will be it just looks like a slightly warmed-over iPhone 6 (if all the leaks are accurate). That's a shame, but not a deal-breaker for me personally as I will be using O2's 30GB tariff and so get a free 12 monthly upgrade.

I have to say I think android now looks like a more mature phone IOS than iOS at the moment, which looks like it's had bits stuck on, which of course, it has. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to iOS again though, the transition was not difficult for me at all (going from iOS to android when I got a Galaxy S3 took months of pain).

I find myself for the first time completely ambivalent over using iOS or Android. Both OS's are very close now in terms of what they offer the user, and I am happy with either, although will make sure both my wife and I have the same phone OS (especially iOS with iMessage and integration with our MacBooks)

Is anyone else feeling like me? !

I was going to wait. I currently have an iPhone 6s+.

You know what's gimmicky? Force Touch. Barely used it and most people I know barely use it.

Also I'm not sure where you read that iPhone 7 is going to have better battery. I'm reading the screen resolution might be better and the battery will not be increased enough to compensate. That said, my 6s+ got me 12-14 hours of heavy use which is excellent anyway.

BUT. here is th biggest reason why I didn't care about the iPhone new potential changes: removal of the headphone jack.

This is not a good thing. It'll be spun that way, but I have expensive headphones that I use daily. And now it's going to be either just BT or use via C type connector which means there will need to be an adapter etc. many people have higher end headphones and they just completely disregard that? Pathetic.

BT also uses battery and on the iPhone I've noticed it takes up quite a bit. I left it on when in my car listening to music or talking connected to my vehicle. It's a battery hog on the iPhone but not really on some others.

Camera improvement means they will improve it to what Samsung is at now.

Now all that said, I hear their big change in phones won't be until 2017, their 10 year anniversary. That will most likely be a big change. I don't care about thinner since there's only so thin you can make a phone.

But if the iPhone moves to an OLED screen that would be a game changer for them right there. Then I'll look at it again.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
There's no choice here. It sounds to me like you need the iPhone. There is a significant difference between the iPhone and Android, and it has nothing to do with features. iPhone provides a limiting, simple environment. Those who don't want to fool around with setting up and configuring will want iPhone. Those who like doing that kind of thing will go for Android. I once read that there are 2 kinds of people who walk onto an airplane - those who board and immediately look to the right (to sit down); and those who immediately look to the left (into the pilot's cabin) because they have an intense interest in "how" the plane flies. Apple people are in the first group; Android in the second.

Nobody is offended by your post, and there's nothing wrong with it - but, maybe it's time to decide which way you want to look.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what benefit the iris scanner offers over a finger print reader myself, but it is more inconvenient. On a busy train, wearing glasses/sunglasses/using your phone whilst out running, all these will be a pain for iris scanning. I struggle to see where it is a clear benefit?

It is not an either/or situation. I'm looking forward to having the iris scanner as a backup for when the fingerprint reader fails. I don't think many people will stop using the fingerprint reader as their primary method of identification, but there is a clear advantage to having a second fast and easy method of entering a locked phone (especially one that works well with wet or dirty hands).

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Winter, gloves...

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
So the Note has waterproofing, screen, more storage, iris scanner (not sure how more unlock options are a negative, you don't have to use one or the other.. probably amazing while wearing gloves), wireless charging, S-Pen, USB-C. The iPhone is said to have camera, screen, and waterproofing improvements, and remove the headphone jack (not a positive). There is no question that Samsung hardware is years ahead. From the sounds of it Apple is waiting for 2018 to even the playing field, I highly doubt they'll surpass Samsung's efforts. For me it was either keep my 6S plus or switch to Note, I have no interest in buying another iPad 3 type device from Apple. I don't love iOS or Apple enough to overlook all of this anymore. I guess I'm starting to look left.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

The Iris Scanner can't be tricked as easily as a fingerprint scanner

Posted via the Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how people can go from Android for one phone, to Apple for next and then back to Android.
It's been well documented that iPhones generally don't have the greater specs, but perform just as good as Android counterparts due to OS optimization.
If you like your iPhone, why not upgrade your iPhone? The iPhone 7 is missing the 3.5mm audio jack and doesn't have a stylus.
The iris scanner is not a replacement for the fingerprint reader. It's an additional biometric security feature. Trust me, the iPhone will have this feature soon as well.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how people can go from Android for one phone, to Apple for next and then back to Android.
It's been well documented that iPhones generally don't have the greater specs, but perform just as good as Android counterparts due to OS optimization.
If you like your iPhone, why not upgrade your iPhone? The iPhone 7 is missing the 3.5mm audio jack and doesn't have a stylus.
The iris scanner is not a replacement for the fingerprint reader. It's an additional biometric security feature. Trust me, the iPhone will have this feature soon as well.

I have not gone back and forth. I can just say that the reason I am now considering it is because of the iPhone 7. I've always accepted that the hardware would lack slightly but thought iOS made up for that.. now they are releasing a phone that they know only has minor upgrades, while knowing they are leaking things from their 2017 iPhone and they expect people will still buy it. Plus, most of the rumors for the 2017 iPhone are already in the note. Plus I feel like they are trying to switch everything to a subscription service (music, iCloud, etc..). Which I don't really want to have to do.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
The iris scanner is a very unique feature that I will use on my note 7.

Why are most people comparing the Note 7 to the s7 edge? the comparison should be with the Note 5?
In my opinion the Note 7 wins in a landslide!

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The iris scanner is a very unique feature that I will use on my note 7.

Why are most people comparing the Note 7 to the s7 edge? the comparison should be with the Note 5?
In my opinion the Note 7 wins in a landslide!

People should make whatever comparisons they want. Some people are comparing to decide if they want to leave their S7E for a Note 7. Some are making a decision about buying a cheaper S7E or grabbing a few more perks with the Note 7 (that's me - although I made my decision and pre-ordered a Note, and hoping I don't regret it as battery life is one of my primary concerns and the S7E should win there, but at an as yet undetermined margin). I just don't get the problem some have about comparing whatever phones people want to compare.
Many manufacturers offer different lines of Android handsets at various price points. It's natural and expected that fans of a manufacturer, or interested buyers, will compare the offerings, weigh the features against price, pull them apart, turn them upside down, and discuss them ad nauseum. It's what enthusiasts do.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
People should make whatever comparisons they want. Some people are comparing to decide if they want to leave their S7E for a Note 7. Some are making a decision about buying a cheaper S7E or grabbing a few more perks with the Note 7 (that's me - although I made my decision and pre-ordered a Note, and hoping I don't regret it as battery life is one of my primary concerns and the S7E should win there, but at an as yet undetermined margin). I just don't get the problem some have about comparing whatever phones people want to compare.
Many manufacturers offer different lines of Android handsets at various price points. It's natural and expected that fans of a manufacturer, or interested buyers, will compare the offerings, weigh the features against price, pull them apart, turn them upside down, and discuss them ad nauseum. It's what enthusiasts do.

I don't really see 100 mah makeing a big difference

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It is not an either/or situation. I'm looking forward to having the iris scanner as a backup for when the fingerprint reader fails. I don't think many people will stop using the fingerprint reader as their primary method of identification, but there is a clear advantage to having a second fast and easy method of entering a locked phone (especially one that works well with wet or dirty hands).

I use rubber gloves(Doctor type) at work all day. Honestly, I prefer to use finger print, but if I have gloves on the iris scan will work. I hate with my current iPhone I have to turn Touch ID off from 8-4:30. I know they say if iris doesn't work, to use Touch ID, hoping I can reverse which method it tries first.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't really see 100 mah makeing a big difference

Well, a slightly smaller battery, combined with a slightly larger screen. I'm hoping it won't be a big difference. I BANKED on it not being a big difference (with my pre-order) lol
Edit: sorry, don't want to sideline the thread any further.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Winter, gloves...

I've seen this argument a few times...but I honestly don't get how that's valid. So while you have your gloves on you unlock your phone with your iris...then what? My experience has been that if I have gloves on, touching the screen isn't effective? Then again...I didn't move back to Android until early June so never tested gloves on my Galaxy S7. Gloves do NOT work on an iPhone, that much I know for a fact (unless you have the special conducting tips on the ends of the fingers on the gloves, and even that is spotty at best).

I've read that iris scanning might be recognized as a far superior "lock" method and therefore could be used in conjunction with very important and highly sensitive data...perhaps passports for travelers. It might open up possibilities in businesses that currently don't allow Android devices. I am perhaps a glutton for punishment but I FAR prefer having my own personal device that can also access work information (i.e. email) over having two devices because the work issued device is considered more secure and locked down.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
There's no choice here. It sounds to me like you need the iPhone. There is a significant difference between the iPhone and Android, and it has nothing to do with features. iPhone provides a limiting, simple environment. Those who don't want to fool around with setting up and configuring will want iPhone. Those who like doing that kind of thing will go for Android. I once read that there are 2 kinds of people who walk onto an airplane - those who board and immediately look to the right (to sit down); and those who immediately look to the left (into the pilot's cabin) because they have an intense interest in "how" the plane flies. Apple people are in the first group; Android in the second.

Nobody is offended by your post, and there's nothing wrong with it - but, maybe it's time to decide which way you want to look.
That airplane analogy is the best thing I've read this weekend!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma