Note 7 or iPhone 7, a unique and interesting choice to be made!

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I'd likely be using the fingerprint sensor the most but the IRIS scanner will definitely be useful when I'm coming out of the shower, have lotion on my hands, if I'm at a pool/beach, etc. There are quite a few scenarios where the fingerprint sensor just doesn't work well especially when your hands have the slightest bit of moisture on them.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
If you have no choice but to wear gloves for work for 8 hours
Just unlock with iris scanner and use the
s-pen for everything else

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Nice post. I would wait for them both to be in stores, and then try them both out a bit. I am sure both will be excellent choices. 1 thing I didn't understand from your post in the iPhone "advantages" section:

* bluetooth taking over audio duties - this can be seen as both an advantage and disadvantage. For me, it's an advantage because I have been bluetooth headphones for over a year now.

I don't see any possible way this is an advantage. As you stated yourself, you already use Bluetooth and have an option to use a 3.5mm jack if the need ever arises. IMO, all this does (removing the jack) is limit people's choices. It would seem that for you it doesn't matter, because you use Bluetooth anyway. But in no way can this be perceived as any kind of "advantage" IMO, quite the opposite.

I don't think you can go wrong honestly if thee are your 2 options. Good luck!

Last edited:

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
The Note 7 will be an absolutely brilliant phone I reckon. I am waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out and will probably buy either the iPhone 7 or Note 7 depending on what the final specs and review of the iPhone 7 are. I hope nobody is offended by this post also talking about the iPhone, but I am genuinely looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 as my next phone - the first time ever I have considered both OS at the same time.

This has been my reasoning so far:

Note 7:

Good bits:

* Fairly comprehensive waterproofing - no worries about getting caught in a rainstorm or carrying your phone in a damp, humid pocket whilst you dry out.
* Wireless fast charging - up until now I have thought wireless charging to be a complete waste of time. I have a Galaxy S6 at the moment and a Samsung wireless charging pad for it, and I NEVER use it because it is so slow and unreliable. However, the new wireless chargers with fast charge look a lot better.
* In addition to wireless fast charging, a good battery life! I have an iPhone SE at the moment, and the battery life is just amazing. If the Note 7 is comparable it will be fantastic. My Galaxy S6 battery is dreadful, and now using an iPhone SE has underlined just how incredibly bad it is.
* That screen - probably the best smartphone screen ever. I think the 'edge' screen is a bit of a gimmick, but having said that, the design of the Note 7 and the way it wraps down the sides looks stunning. As long as it doesn't keep getting accidentally activated by your hand...
* 64GB memory plus expansion - at last, Samsung nails it with super-fast memory and expansion by MicroSD
* Camera - an f1.7 lens, 1.4micron pixels and OIS mean a class-leading camera - can the iPhone better it?
* The S-Pen now has 4096 levels of sensitivity! So if you are an artist it should be a real joy to use.
* USB-C connector - at last.
* Colour: That coral blue and the black versions both look stunning IMHO

Bad Bits:

Well, not much but...

* Iris scanner - not necessarily 'bad' but a gimmick to be honest. Could really have done without that, fingerprint is much more useful. There are so many situations where the Iris is going to be a pain.
* Samsung's memory handling - I haven't heard much about the 7 Edge memory management, other than it is an improvement on the S6 (which was basically pretty awful) but still not perfect.
* Touchwhizz - it really is much better now than it was, has some really useful features... but I am a bit bored of it now and it will still probably lag and stutter here and there - if it doesn't it will be the first phone they have ever built which doesn't!
* Not a vast amount different from the S7 Edge - the Note used to be very different from the S series, but this is kinda like just an S7 Edge with a pen (and retina scan, which I can't imagine many people considering as being anything really useful)
* Price - £750! Crazy expensive!
* No Android Nougat on release. How long will it be before Nougat arrives on it?
* Apparently still a horrendous finger-print magnet

iPHONE 7:

As for the iPhone 7, well, it's all still speculation at the moment, but potential interesting points will be:

* the camera - in particular the dual lens one; The camera on my iPhone SE is excellent and Apple spend a lot of time getting the camera right on iPhones; so it is possible they will be back on top here, although Samsung's camera is a hard act to beat. Can't wait to see!
* bluetooth taking over audio duties - this can be seen as both an advantage and disadvantage. For me, it's an advantage because I have been bluetooth headphones for over a year now. My Sony SBH80 earbuds are just superb - I'm on my third pair now due to the use and abuse they have had all over the world. Only thing at the moment is that whilst Android supports aptX, Apple doesn't. With the shift toward bluetooth audio, I am hoping Apple either add aptX or do something comparable.
* improved battery life and screen
* Waterproofing perhaps? Be great if it does.
* Force-feedback home button perhaps? The whole force-feedback green stuff is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but iOS 10 seems to be putting it to more good use now.
* Of course, the smoothness of iOS is far superior to any version of android I have used (HTC Sense came close though). But Androids ability to drag and drop films and music is better than iOS (although you can add films and songs etc to dropbox and do it that way now on iOS)

The negative will be it just looks like a slightly warmed-over iPhone 6 (if all the leaks are accurate). That's a shame, but not a deal-breaker for me personally as I will be using O2's 30GB tariff and so get a free 12 monthly upgrade.

I have to say I think android now looks like a more mature phone IOS than iOS at the moment, which looks like it's had bits stuck on, which of course, it has. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to iOS again though, the transition was not difficult for me at all (going from iOS to android when I got a Galaxy S3 took months of pain).

I find myself for the first time completely ambivalent over using iOS or Android. Both OS's are very close now in terms of what they offer the user, and I am happy with either, although will make sure both my wife and I have the same phone OS (especially iOS with iMessage and integration with our MacBooks)

Is anyone else feeling like me? !
I don't see how anyone can be offended by this but whatever. The iris scanner is just an added functionality and extra layer of security. You can use it to sign in, instead of typing a password and use it to open apps. If you're bored of touchwiz, then you won't last long with iOS lol. The iPhone 7 rumors say it's almost identical to the 6 with changes be minimal, yet you complain that the note7 is barely different from the s7. The note7 not coming pre-installed with nougat is not Samsung's fault. Nougat is not released yet. Samsung could of moved the date back a couple months but would gain more profit releasing ahead of the iphone7. The snap821 isn't out yet either so they had to stick with the 820.

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
There's still a chunk of people who loves 5" or less so if the new iphone is more than 5" i dont see android lovers buying new iphone but i probabaly believe many ios would enter android world because samsung has probabaly naile it with note 7. it easily is the best phablet to have.I personaly would choose note 7 over iphone 7 anyday.No offence to ios users.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I've seen this argument a few times...but I honestly don't get how that's valid. So while you have your gloves on you unlock your phone with your iris...then what? My experience has been that if I have gloves on, touching the screen isn't effective? Then again...I didn't move back to Android until early June so never tested gloves on my Galaxy S7. Gloves do NOT work on an iPhone, that much I know for a fact (unless you have the special conducting tips on the ends of the fingers on the gloves, and even that is spotty at best).

I've read that iris scanning might be recognized as a far superior "lock" method and therefore could be used in conjunction with very important and highly sensitive data...perhaps passports for travelers. It might open up possibilities in businesses that currently don't allow Android devices. I am perhaps a glutton for punishment but I FAR prefer having my own personal device that can also access work information (i.e. email) over having two devices because the work issued device is considered more secure and locked down.
Open it with the iris scanner and then use voice to do anything you want.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It depends on what you use your phone for. If you pretty much only use your phone for apps and email, the iPhone has no competition when it comes to smoothness. If you want all the bells and whistles, the Note 7 is a much better choice.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this argument a few times...but I honestly don't get how that's valid. So while you have your gloves on you unlock your phone with your iris...then what? My experience has been that if I have gloves on, touching the screen isn't effective?

S-pen! It works fine when your gloves are on.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm waiting to see what they do with the iPhone 7... i usually upgrade when the new iPhone series comes out and the new S series from Samsung comes out. I'm honestly thinking I will just stick the the s7edge if the iPhone 7 is a complete lackluster.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this argument a few times...but I honestly don't get how that's valid. So while you have your gloves on you unlock your phone with your iris...then what? My experience has been that if I have gloves on, touching the screen isn't effective?

Ha, you make a good point. I wasn't planning on using the iris scanner much, but I thought it would be effective when I have gloves on, but this... Very true ..

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
S-pen! It works fine when your gloves are on.

Thank you and also viscomi444. Never thought about voice commands as they sometimes lead to more frustration than help...but the s-pen...that would definitely be a reliable and good workaround. Between the two now I can see the iris scanner for unlock adding value. I was in the camp of if I'm already pushing the button it's faster to just leave my finger on there and extra second for the print unlock. And I had given up using smart phones with gloves on a long time ago.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you and also viscomi444. Never thought about voice commands as they sometimes lead to more frustration than help...but the s-pen...that would definitely be a reliable and good workaround. Between the two now I can see the iris scanner for unlock adding value. I was in the camp of if I'm already pushing the button it's faster to just leave my finger on there and extra second for the print unlock. And I had given up using smart phones with gloves on a long time ago.

I not in a camp on this one. I will wait and see. I can think of a few use cases like we discussed that make it worth setting up. I will either find myself using or not. Since you can use both at the same time, it is not a choice. :)

Coming from the Note 4, either is going to be so much better than the finger print techI am using now.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
There's no choice here. It sounds to me like you need the iPhone. There is a significant difference between the iPhone and Android, and it has nothing to do with features. iPhone provides a limiting, simple environment. Those who don't want to fool around with setting up and configuring will want iPhone. Those who like doing that kind of thing will go for Android. I once read that there are 2 kinds of people who walk onto an airplane - those who board and immediately look to the right (to sit down); and those who immediately look to the left (into the pilot's cabin) because they have an intense interest in "how" the plane flies. Apple people are in the first group; Android in the second.

Nobody is offended by your post, and there's nothing wrong with it - but, maybe it's time to decide which way you want to look.

I have owned both for years at a time, and I can honestly say that at this point in phone evolution there is very little to choose between them. The perceived advantages of android (such as drag and drop films and music) have been negated now to some extent by cloud storage and apps such as google play music. Whilst your definitions of who buys android and who buys iPhones may be true, it is not all-encompassing. I have spent much time on android loading custom roms and such, but have lost interest now because feature sets are so full there is little 'must have' features that are missing. For the first time I feel completely ambivalent towards to the two OS's; I care more about hardware now, hence my post.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
You mention price of the Note 7 as a negative. Is the iPhone 7 expected to me much cheaper?

No, it will be the sameI or thereabouts I would imagine. I was more thinking about the number of android phones now which have very good specs but are a fair bit cheaper.

aczaplicki

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was going to hold off for the iPhone 7 announcement as I am a iPhone 6 user now, but I just preordered my Note 7. I think both phones will be great. They are fairly even these days, but a change will be nice.