Best way to switch without auto-downloading everything?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
What's the best way to go about activating my Note 7 when it arrives without it automatically downloading everything from the Play store that I've downloaded on my Note 4?

I'd like to keep the Note 7 as uncluttered as possible and only have my contacts, text messages, music and photos moved from the Note 4.

Every time I've upgraded my phone previously as soon as I enter my gmail credentials it has just started redownloding every stinking thing I've ever got from the Play store - even crap that I had previously deleted from my old phone. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible with my Note 7 this time.

Any tips/suggestions?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, smart switch seems to be highly recommended.

If everything tries to start downloading from the play store, just go in and stop it.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've read a bit about Smart Switch - however isn't the first step of activation entering your gmail credentials? It's always seemed that as soon as I've done that and hit next all hell breaks loose and like 75 downloads start automatically from Play and it's too late at that point.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read a bit about Smart Switch - however isn't the first step of activation entering your gmail credentials? It's always seemed that as soon as I've done that and hit next all hell breaks loose and like 75 downloads start automatically from Play and it's too late at that point.
But it's not too late. Just open up the play store and hit stop all.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
If you want to DL app then yes you'll need your android credentials. If all you want to do is move your other data, then don't worry about it. Worst thing, try it and if you dont like it reset your phone and try it again. When I set up a new android phone it always ask if I want to set it up as a new phone or restore.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If you want to DL app then yes you'll need your android credentials. If all you want to do is move your other data, then don't worry about it. Worst thing, try it and if you dont like it reset your phone and try it again. When I set up a new android phone it always ask if I want to set it up as a new phone or restore.

So do you avoid the auto download of old apps by clicking "new phone" and then manually restoring only those apps you want to continue with?

Posted via the Android Central App

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
That's what I do. I go to "my apps" and pick the ones I want and I also set up my email and contacts how I like them.
I never like to auto sync my gmail, because I use another app for email that I have set up to get my gmail.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
What's the best way to go about activating my Note 7 when it arrives without it automatically downloading everything from the Play store that I've downloaded on my Note 4?

I'd like to keep the Note 7 as uncluttered as possible and only have my contacts, text messages, music and photos moved from the Note 4.

Every time I've upgraded my phone previously as soon as I enter my gmail credentials it has just started redownloding every stinking thing I've ever got from the Play store - even crap that I had previously deleted from my old phone. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible with my Note 7 this time.

Any tips/suggestions?

After I sign in my phone will usually ask me if I want to "auto back up my apps" or something like that, I hit no. Then like the other users here, I use Smart Switch :)

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Smart Switch backs up your app data though. Only backs up the apps themselves. I am restoring my phone right now from S7Edge to Note 4 until the 7 comes out. And none of my app data is on this Note 4. I should've just let Google handle everything. No difference except smart switch backs up my messages. Unless im restoring wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995