I played with the Note 7 in Best Buy which seems like it isn't a carrier branded version. Today I tried the Verizon version in a store and saw they seem to have made two changes.

1) The settings menu is the same as on the Note 5 and isn't the nicely designed one you see in the Samsung demos or intro video. I get why they do this but it's frustrating.

2) I couldn't find an icon for a stand alone video player. The only way I saw to play videos was from the gallery. I must be wrong about this but I looked in the app drawer and all home screens and couldn't find it.

The first one is frustrating but really only at an intellectual level since it doesn't actually change anything. Annoying that Verizon always has to muck with the design.

Posted via the Android Central App
    gogoplata1980 likes this.
    08-13-2016 03:41 PM
    1) The settings menu is the same as on the Note 5 and isn't the nicely designed one you see in the Samsung demos or intro video. I get why they do this but it's frustrating.
    I prefer this one, I have it on the Note 5 and I love having the Favorites - favorite settings - at the top. I am glad they left it honestly ..
    08-13-2016 04:10 PM
    I just checked my s7 edge and there isnt a stand alone video player app on it either.

I know verizon changes some stuff.. seems like they took the "sign a pdf" option off on the note5, which some people wanted to be able to sign documents and send them back.

Ive kind of got used to knowing verizon changes a few things, but i have been w them so long and they have the best coverage in my area that i like them, and stay w them lol.

08-13-2016 05:02 PM
    Wonder if you can just get the video player off Galaxy Apps...
    08-13-2016 05:20 PM
    Wonder if you can just get the video player off Galaxy Apps...
    I don't see it on there. It isn't that big of a deal but it was nice not to have to sort through a ton of images to find a video. There has to be an alternative or way around this. Probably means downloading another video player.

08-13-2016 06:18 PM
    I don't see it on there. It isn't that big of a deal but it was nice not to have to sort through a ton of images to find a video. There has to be an alternative or way around this. Probably means downloading another video player.

I just go to My Files app and it lists videos separate, maybe that will help ya.

08-13-2016 06:26 PM
    The settings and a separate video player icon are a big deal? Just download VLC player, isn't that what most use anyways?

smh.. I need stop visiting for a month or so.
    08-13-2016 06:52 PM
    I prefer this one, I have it on the Note 5 and I love having the Favorites - favorite settings - at the top. I am glad they left it honestly ..
    The newer settings look has that option to add favorites to the top.

dsignori likes this.
    08-13-2016 07:18 PM
    BTW, I went to the local Verizon store and messed around with their Note 7. I switched all of the defaults to Samsung apps, and it was possible to download the Samsung standalone video and music apps (and apparently, "car mode") from Galaxy Apps for free.

Which at least knocks out the 2nd of what you've listed.
    vmmatty likes this.
    08-15-2016 05:43 AM
    BTW, I went to the local Verizon store and messed around with their Note 7. I switched all of the defaults to Samsung apps, and it was possible to download the Samsung standalone video and music apps (and apparently, "car mode") from Galaxy Apps for free.

Which at least knocks out the 2nd of what you've listed.
    Good find. Thanks!

08-15-2016 06:29 AM
    I played with the Note 7 in Best Buy which seems like it isn't a carrier branded version. Today I tried the Verizon version in a store and saw they seem to have made two changes.

Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that when you went to test it at a Verizon store it didn't have the streamlined Grace UI design for settings and menus?
    I visited a Verizon store on launch day to examine the phone, and played around with it. At the store I was at it had the Grace UI running. I'm guessing someone at the store (either a customer or worker) you went to had messed with the setting and interface.
    08-15-2016 07:53 AM
    Are you sure it wasnt a Note5 you played with at verizon?? hehehe
    08-15-2016 08:10 AM
    The wife and I literally just left the best buy store by my house and played with the Verizon note 7 and it had the new UI also.
    08-15-2016 11:37 AM
    Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that when you went to test it at a Verizon store it didn't have the streamlined Grace UI design for settings and menus?
    I visited a Verizon store on launch day to examine the phone, and played around with it. At the store I was at it had the Grace UI running. I'm guessing someone at the store (either a customer or worker) you went to had messed with the setting and interface.
    I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as the Grace UI so it's hard to say. What I can say is the Settings menu does not look like what I saw when the phone was announced. It looks identical to what I have on my Note 5.

It seems like people are getting bent out of shape at anyone posting any criticism so I'll just say I'm not criticizing. It doesn't really change anything and I get why they do it. It bothers me more intellectually than anything else.

I'm attaching a picture of the new settings menu and then one from my Note 5. The Verizon display model's settings menu looked exactly like my Note 5 (except for the black theme I'm using).

Again, not a big deal. Just an observation.

Attached Thumbnails Verizon changes-2249.jpg  
    08-15-2016 01:16 PM
    The app only posted the one from my Note 5. Here's the one from the Note 7.

Attached Thumbnails Verizon changes-2248.jpg  
    08-15-2016 01:17 PM
    I posted about this last week. The Best Buy demos are gimped and the Verizon demos are actual retail units. Some features and options are missing from the BB demos.
    08-15-2016 01:23 PM
    Not sure who got bent out of shape. No one seemed angry they simply stated a observation of their observation just like you. Everyone is just trying to help same as you.
    08-15-2016 02:23 PM
    In this video he is using a Verizon Note7...

Skip to 3:41

08-15-2016 02:28 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as the Grace UI so it's hard to say. What I can say is the Settings menu does not look like what I saw when the phone was announced. It looks identical to what I have on my Note 5.
    It seems like people are getting bent out of shape at anyone posting any criticism so I'll just say I'm not criticizing. It doesn't really change anything and I get why they do it. It bothers me more intellectually than anything else.
    I'm attaching a picture of the new settings menu and then one from my Note 5. The Verizon display model's settings menu looked exactly like my Note 5 (except for the black theme I'm using).
    Again, not a big deal. Just an observation.
    The Grace UI is just a simpler looking user interface. (I don't know the reasoning for the name, but if I was forced to guess it might have been something like this: Someone at Samsung: Grace is an old name, back in the time people were named Grace things were simpler, people were simpler (they didn't wear all kinds of skin products, hair products, etc). Since Grace gives the connotation of a plain/simple person, and are TouchWiz UI interface is more plain/simple than we should call it Grace.")

The phone I saw on launch day at Verizon was the second picture, not the first of the pictures you posted. I think someone was screwing with the settings on the one you saw. (Possibly someone who is a fan of the Note 5). If you have the opportunity to go back to that place and look again see if you can change the settings, or ask one of the staff if someone changed the settings to make it look like the Note 5 instead of the 7. If you mention that to them I have a feeling they'll have a desire to set it back to its default Note 7 settings.

While I can't speak for everyone on the board I don't think anyone intended to criticize you for your post (I for one didn't). My concern would be if they've changed things with an update to the Verizon phones since the launch date, but I find it hard to believe that Verizon would take it upon themselves to decide to force everyone to go a Note 5 UI as opposed to the Note 7 one that is getting so much positive publicity.

I posted about this last week. The Best Buy demos are gimped and the Verizon demos are actual retail units. Some features and options are missing from the BB demos.
    I read you post last week. vmmatty isn't saying what you did - he/she is saying the opposite, and that's what is concerning. Given that vmmaty is saying he/she saw the Best Buy model looking like the Samsung advertised model suggests a couple of things: first; Best Buy updated their software, and its now more like the standard version (unlikely, but possible), second; someone screwed with the settings before you saw it at Best Buy (possibly one of their staff) and what you saw wasn't representative of all units at all of the Best Buys. (I do believe Best Buy would be more apt to lock down the features of their displays more than carrier stores would).
    08-15-2016 02:30 PM
    I still don't see much difference, I have to be honest. With the new Grace UI Settings, it looks like it is just has sub-settings collapsed under Settings headers now, right? It seems like I would have to scroll less with the new UI, but tap more.

i.e. On the new UI, it looks like I have to go to Settings, Device Maintenance, Battery. On the current UI, it's just Settings , Battery (with more scrolling)., right?

What's the big deal here? Is this not the case, or am I missing something?
    08-15-2016 03:05 PM
    In this video he is using a Verizon Note7...

Skip to 3:41

Yep, that's what the interface looked like in the Verizon store. I get why they do it - it makes it easier for their support people to always have the same instructions to tell anyone on a Galaxy device. That's what I mean when I say it bothers me intellectually but it's not really a big deal in practice.

Thanks for the replies all. I didn't want to imply anyone in this thread got bent out of shape but I've definitely seen it in other posts.

08-15-2016 07:29 PM
    Yep, that's what the interface looked like in the Verizon store. I get why they do it - it makes it easier for their support people to always have the same instructions to tell anyone on a Galaxy device. That's what I mean when I say it bothers me intellectually but it's not really a big deal in practice.

Thanks for the replies all. I didn't want to imply anyone in this thread got bent out of shape but I've definitely seen it in other posts.

That is the new UI. Sorry, I think I didnt understand. Do you want it to be like your Note5??
    08-15-2016 07:48 PM
    That is the new UI. Sorry, I think I didnt understand. Do you want it to be like your Note5??
    Now I'm confused. The video you linked shows a settings menu that is identical to my Note 5 and doesn't match the screenshot I posted a few messages above. I think we are getting our signals crossed..

08-16-2016 07:59 AM
    Now I'm confused. The video you linked shows a settings menu that is identical to my Note 5 and doesn't match the screenshot I posted a few messages above. I think we are getting our signals crossed..

lol, they look similar...

Verizon changes-note5-note7_settings.jpg
    08-16-2016 08:18 AM
    I get you, and this used to annoy me in the pre-smartphone days with Verizon as well. It would be nice if they left things alone.
    08-21-2016 09:35 AM