4 hours sot??

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the SOT will only be around 4 hours. I could not care less as I don't leave my screen on for that long and for those extra long days where I do I normally keep a battery case in my car. It's always being charged, so I slap it on and I'm ready to go.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
There have been a few videos with reviews out already. Seems like 4 hours is what they are getting at best. I have to say if that's it I would have to return mine. What do you guys think

Posted via the Android Central App

Everyone's usage will vary. 4 hours SOT isn't great, but not terrible either. I mean if you plan to be on your phone 24/7 yeah no phone is really going to hold up.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I would like to ask you who and where are these three or four video reviews? I've tried to follow every single video out there, and so far I've seen one that talks about battery life. Pocketnow said they got 4 hours on screen time, but he speculates that it's because of signal issues where he was using the phone. So where are these other videos that you've seen?

That is only one I saw as well. Not to mention in those 24 hours he was downloading all his apps and using smartswitch.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just wait till it's in everyone's hands, and then wait another week or 2 for folks to use it like they NORMALLY would - not like they do in the first day or 2. Seriously all, don't listen to any battery life reports of someone's first day of use. Also, as all the others have said, battery life will likely be somewhat different for everyone .

Completely agree... They are probably factoring in "first day use" including turning it on from a "boxed state" and then using it for that same day. NOTHING runs down a battery worse than when you turn a phone on and allow Google to update EVERYTHING for the 1st time...

BTC

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Battery life depends on multiple factors. These include efficiency of the individual hardware components, how the software manages power, battery capacity and individual usage pattern. The last one is arguably one of the more important ones especially since no 2 people use their phones in exactly the same way. Take that into consideration the next time someone posts their battery life on a thread.

Another thing to note. Try not to base battery life entirely on SOT numbers. SOT is directly correlated to usage pattern. In order to get a better picture, compare SOT numbers to the overall uptime of the device. 4 hours of SOT might not sound that impressive but 4 hours of SOT with around 16-17 hours of total uptime is actually not bad.

Battery life will be different for every user even with the same device because we all use our phones differently. As such, the next time we post anything about our battery life, don't forget to not only post SOT times, but also device uptime, battery chart and usage stats and give an overall rough summary of your usage pattern.

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with the above post. I used to be an "SoT fanatic" always worrying about how much I was getting per charge until I realized, does it really matter?

My phone has been running for 57 hours on one charge. I just went a whole weekend on ONE charge. 3 hours of screen on with 57 hours uptime. I also got about 2 hours of music in there too for 5 hours of usage (the metric that iOS uses) in total.

At this rate I'll hit 4 hours of SoT with 60+ hours of Uptime. What I noticed is if you're glued to your phone during long sessions you get more SoT but less standby versus someone who's just using the phone periodicially; you'll get more Uptime that way, but probably less SoT.

I dally I'd rather take 4 hour SoT with 60+ hours Uptime versus 7 hour SoT with 12 hours Uptime. But that just me.

And this is with a Note 4 by the way. A phone 2 generations old.

Can't wait to see how the Note 7 performs in Uptime.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-15-02-06-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-15-02-06-29.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 132
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with the above post. I used to be an "SoT fanatic" always worrying about how much I was getting per charge until I realized, does it really matter?

My phone has been running for 57 hours on one charge. I just went a whole weekend on ONE charge. 3 hours of screen on with 57 hours uptime. I also got about 2 hours of music in there too for 5 hours of usage (the metric that iOS uses) in total.

At this rate I'll hit 4 hours of SoT with 60+ hours of Uptime. What I noticed is if you're glued to your phone during long sessions you get more SoT but less standby versus someone who's just using the phone periodicially; you'll get more Uptime that way, but probably less SoT.

I dally I'd rather take 4 hour SoT with 60+ hours Uptime versus 7 hour SoT with 12 hours Uptime. But that just me.

And this is with a Note 4 by the way. A phone 2 generations old.

Can't wait to see how the Note 7 performs in Uptime.

The SoT matters to me because I go on short road trips and my Note 5 has to be shot off after a while because Google Maps runs it out of juice fast and I need to save some power for the trip back. On top of that, the more I have to charge my phone, the faster my battery will permanently wear down.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
SOT is directly correlated to usage pattern. In order to get a better picture, compare SOT numbers to the overall uptime of the device. 4 hours of SOT might not sound that impressive but 4 hours of SOT with around 16-17 hours of total uptime is actually not bad.

This.... The amount of screen time, alone, is a fairly misleading statistic as it doesn't provide context. For instance, what would you say if I told you that my 6P could get, on average, about 3:30 of SOT on a full charge? Probably would get a "Meh..."

But what if I also mentioned that the 3:30 came over the course of about 40 hours between stints on the charger? That changes the context of that SOT time, wouldn't you say?

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
This.... The amount of screen time, alone, is a fairly misleading statistic as it doesn't provide context. For instance, what would you say if I told you that my 6P could get, on average, about 3:30 of SOT on a full charge? Probably would get a "Meh..."

But what if I also mentioned that the 3:30 came over the course of about 40 hours between stints on the charger? That changes the context of that SOT time, wouldn't you say?

I need to know what some of you ppl do to your phones. You get 40 hours of use plus 3 sot. Some guy told me he gets 48 hours of sot. Totally believable.

ogl > cal

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I dally I'd rather take 4 hour SoT with 60+ hours Uptime versus 7 hour SoT with 12 hours Uptime. But that just me

Well, you can have both.... one of the biggest factors in how much screen time you have available is background idle load, so the longer you go between charges, the less available power you have due to the constant drain. In your example, the same phone could probably give you both scenarios.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
How can there be a SOT debate for a device with one sample that has yet to specify all conditions of use?

The battery is 2.8% smaller, than the 7E and the display is about 7% bigger (with similar scaled power consumption per Display Mate).

Looking at past user posts and reviews, 7E's SOT is about 5.5 hours of average use.

Battery size adjustment (2.8% smaller) = .972 * 5.5 = 5.346 hrs

Display size adjustment (7% bigger) = .07 * 5.346 = .374 hrs

Percent battery weight that display typically uses (40%) = .4 * .374 = .15

Final result 5.346 - .15 = 5.2 hours

This approach at a minimum seems more closer to maybe correct than 4 hours from one sample- unless the Iris scanner sensors, or something else is more of a power hog.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I need to know what some of you ppl do to your phones. You get 40 hours of use plus 3 sot. Some guy told me he gets 48 hours of sot. Totally believable.

Nothing special. I am not playing any games as far as toggling radios, background task checkers, etc... My general, day to day usage is fairly light and medium duty tasks. I mean, if I am out with my kids trying to catch some Evees, well, that'll slaughter my battery in frighteningly short amount of time. But in general, I chalk it up to a couple of simple factors... starting with T-Mobile having excellent network coverage in my area, so I am rarely sitting in a battery-draining signal desert. Combine that with a few other factors (running one of the N preview builds, no rogue apps,etc.), my background load is actually really low... 0.5%/h or less... most of the time, so my phone isn't using much power when I'm not using it.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad we don't have another phone almost exactly like the N7 but with slightly varying battery size, to base this off.

Oh wait, we have the Galaxy S7 & 7E. Lol

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
is there a proper way to charge the phone or any phone... like let it completely drain? or does it matter? basically whats the best way to maximize battery health?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I linked a full review in another thread. I'm sure after seeing how bad the battery was ppl don't want to comment on it

ogl > cal

Where is this full review you speak of? I would love to check it out. And once again usage varies, but most likely you are exaggerating about battery

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes