4 hours sot??

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
No, because:

1). If never trust the opinion of a group of people who would never use a phone like I would

2). I'm not some consumer-ocd driven experience monkey that arbitrarily decides that what everyone else deems as acceptable is right for me

3). Maybe there are use cases for people who are active and driving or walking around all day...but I'm an exec level employee who works from home 80% of the time and the other 20% I'm travelling. Even in airports. There are wireless charging stations everywhere....and I'm never too far from a place that I can top off my phone.

4). When I go on vacation...my phone is in airplane mode 99% of the time (or its not a vacation) and you quickly realize that without connectivity...or looking at it every 5 seconds like a spastic compulsive that working has made me into...my phones have lasted days on a single charge.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ford_Thumbsup.jpg

Sorry for the "Ford" - it was the biggest "Thumbs-up" I could find! Well put SlackerJack!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
is there a proper way to charge the phone or any phone... like let it completely drain? or does it matter? basically whats the best way to maximize battery health?

Generally speaking, it's best to refrain from using fast-charging often as it causes the device to heat up a little more, which isn't good for long-term battery health.

Also, it's recommended to not have your battery go down to a very low level, like below 20%, as that is apparently bad for the cells.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Generally speaking, it's best to refrain from using fast-charging often as it causes the device to heat up a little more, which isn't good for long-term battery health.

Also, it's recommended to not have your battery go down to a very low level, like below 20%, as that is apparently bad for the cells.

so fast charging is something that can be turned on and off?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Though I have read this too, I have not seen this in practice. I use nothing but fast-charging on my Note 5, and I haven't noticed any ill effects. It's only been a year, so perhaps another year in could show less battery life as a result, perhaps. So far, it is not noticeable for me though.

I would NOT recommend turning fast charging off at this point...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've had far charging tech on the last few phones I've owned, QC on my Nexus 6 and USB-C PD on my 6P and both, after a year (well, not quite a year on the 6P yet) and I didn't see any degradation. But they never got hot that I've noticed... Which is the real issue.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Though I have read this too, I have not seen this in practice. I use nothing but fast-charging on my Note 5, and I haven't noticed any ill effects. It's only been a year, so perhaps another year in could show less battery life as a result, perhaps. So far, it is not noticeable for me though.

I would NOT recommend turning fast charging off at this point...
Yeah. The heat is the main issue, which most phones should be able to adjust their charging power in accordance to the current temperature.

furby23

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have seen 5 reviews that cover the battery. They range between 4 hours to 5.5 hours SOT.
3 of them show the overall usage as well as SOT.
all 5 were exynos.
they averaged 18-24 hours.
60-100% brightness.
cellular and wifi.
There is a further example from reddit whereby a megapost showed an exynos on wifi only with moderate usage of a plethora of apps, 6 hours, 60% brightness.

The reviews are out there, its a highly subjective matter but there is a general line like most devices. i mean compare it to the s7edge, 4-5.5 is about right depending on usage and then the wifi only got 6 hours.

again, nothing definitive until i use it myself but in my mind i do believe it getting me 4.5-5 on exynos over a day. If these figures are generally correct then i have a feeling snapdragon devices may suffer a little until samsung release an update.

just my opinion, like you all have yours

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There have been a few videos with reviews out already. Seems like 4 hours is what they are getting at best. I have to say if that's it I would have to return mine. What do you guys think

That's about all I got on my S7 edge. I don't know why people expect more than that on a phone with a 3500 mAh battery.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If I get higher than 4 I will be happy. My S7E has been consistent at 3 since a week or so ago and I am not sure what changed. Was going to do a factory reset but since I am now getting the Note I won't be and will just set the Note up as new. I think I have a rogue app that I installed that is doing something, but my highest battery drain is Android System at about 40% per day. Fast charging everywhere I go helps though. I use an Android Wear watch, bluetooth headphones and generally am connected to WiFi all day with WiFi calling turned on so maybe that is the culprit but I have no clue. I want to approach 5 hours but I will have to do more tweaking to try to get close to that. I don't want to shut anything off either because what is the point of owning a phone if you can't use all of its features?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And then I read another credible reviewer that is getting four hours SOT. Wahh wahhhhh!

PocketNow reviewer thinks it has to do with weaker signal areas with LTE. This and Qualcomm's rep for less than stellar radios sadly makes some sense.

Last edited:

furby23

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
SOT will likely be about 5.2 hours (average) based on hardware and battery size comparison to the 7E. The first review by a person that actually has the device and has done credible reviews in the past states getting nearly six hours SOT.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...e-apparently-first-real-reviews-note-7-a.html

Hes using exynos. As stated by a couple in here, snapdragon is looking like 4/4.5 with general usage. Its a subjective thing but this is now the 5/6th review ive seen (a ton released in the past couple hours) that states 4 hours. In fact he said he hasnt gone over 4 hours in the entire week hes had it. Hes in love with the phone and has no reason to lie. Yes he suggests it may be poor signal however it correlates with all the other reviewers. It would be slightly stupid to discredit the 4 hour SOT seeing that so many different reviewers have said this. Id say its looking like 4-5 hours maximum on snapdragon and 4.5-6 on exynos. In general that is. Over the course of a day, so no crazy 30 hour standbys.

Here is the new pocket now review: https://youtu.be/EEnXVxvrbQg

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, looks like LTE could be the X factor again. Good signal, good battery life.

Looks like non LTE battery life is great, but not so much with LTE unless in good signal areas. That is where my MXPE sucks too. Well, that the LCD and the 808.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Heck after coming from an iphone 6s plus and its outstanding battery life. I now turn off the battery indicator on my S7Edge. I plan to do the same with the Note. Ill charge it when i feel like it needs it. Sammy is the far superior phone for me. I loved the battery on the apple though.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So the Note 7 is no better than any other Android phone if LTE signal is not good. It you want good battery life in weak signal areas, best to turn it off and use it when you need it. Looks like SOT is very good as long as good LTE signal.

Weak LTE signal makes all device equal power hogs.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Many of them are saying they see similar Battery life to the S7E (A/C, Verge, etc). There is no use in speculating at this point , as we will have the phone and know soon enough (he says, knowing full well he is spitting into the wind :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Many of them are saying they see similar Battery life to the S7E (A/C, Verge, etc). There is no use in speculating at this point , as we will have the phone and know soon enough (he says, knowing full well he is spitting into the wind :)

Point though is weak LTE signal pretty much makes all devices equals in the battery drain area.