How to keep note 7 in tip top performance shape and lag free.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I had an s7 edge which went down the drain performance wise after a few months. Battery life severely deteriorated and Web browsing and typing became full of lag. Any tips in maintaining performance on my note 7 when I receive it? I am planning on not restoring any old backups just in case they carry over any previous performance issues.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The problem is the user access, app code guidelines and cache management and code translation layer. Android needs to change their methods and collaborate with ram and SOC makers to create more efficient ram and app control. iOS is better in this regard, but the irony is you do not have the freedom Android has. Folks might not appreciate there is a method to Apple's madness. If iOS was as open as Android, iOS would start having more issue as well. They would still have the advantage due to one basic hardware platform to develop for.

Just a few apps (or one) that do not strictly follow Android guidelines can also mess things up. This adds to the variability in the user experience with Android.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
My advice is not to download major updates. My Note 5 was fast till I downloaded Marshmallow and now it lags.

Now understand the Note 7 will be releasing the Nouget update soon. Download at your own risk.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
The conspiracy theorist in me makes me feel like this is by design. If our phones worked as they did the day we took them out of the box for months and years after, there would be much less of a reason to upgrade. Sure there would be the select group of people that always want the latest and greatest, but your average Joe would be happy to keep their device if it worked as it did from the start. Same goes for computers.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I had an s7 edge which went down the drain performance wise after a few months. Battery life severely deteriorated and Web browsing and typing became full of lag. Any tips in maintaining performance on my note 7 when I receive it?
I've never had a Samsung android system with TouchWiz before, so I don't know how TouchWiz itself may effect things. Here are basic android tips that should help.

Go into settings, app manager, select all apps. Click on and disable (uninstall any you can) any apps you know you aren't going to use.
Go to settings, about. Click software information. Click build number if its there, if its not and there is a "more" option look for a build number listing there. Click on "build number" until it says you are a developer. Go back a few screens and you should now see an item that says "developer options".
Look for an area that says animations. If you don't see it there it may be under an advanced or more area.
When you find it you can either uncheck show animations, or go into each of the animation scale options and change them to animations off.

You can also try installing an app that monitors and reports apps that are stalling or draining memory. Avast Cleanup and Clean Master are two possible options. Once you know what apps are an issue you can either kill them, disable them, or possibly uninstall them.

Go into settings, power, battery optimization, and select all apps. From there you can set what apps the system should close if they aren't detected as being used for awhile,

You can also go back into the developer options area (in advanced again) and set background process limits. You can experiment and see what setting works best for you. On one hand if you set no background or limited amounts of processes you'll maintain a lot of free RAM for your foreground tasks, and on the other hand if you don't limit it apps should stay in memory longer and make it easier to quickly switch between them or reload them quicker.

My advice is not to download major updates. My Note 5 was fast till I downloaded Marshmallow and now it lags.

You can fix the slow after update problem by clearing the system cache (not the same as app caches). Don't know how the Note 7 will boot to it, but most systems you do it by:
Turning off the system.
Hold down volume down and the power button at the same time (some systems it volume up). The system will usually show the green Android figure or a triangle with an exclamation mark. If there isn't a menu with multiple options tap the power button. There should be a system recovery option. Select that, and you should see a menu with a "clear system cache" option. Press the volume down button until you are on that option, and click the power button to choose it. That should clear your "system cache" and speed things up.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The problem is the user access, app code guidelines and cache management and code translation layer. Android needs to change their methods and collaborate with ram and SOC makers to create more efficient ram and app control

While this may help, I don't see - myself - the issues that this presents on modern phones. On some phones, real lag problems exist. On others - most modern flagships - they run great out of the box. I don't find a need for any change - or much "optimization" of any kind anymore. My Note 5 runs great. I always wonder what folks need to do now on modern flagship phones (in the last year or 2) that they can't do very well out of the box.

I used to go crazy with that years ago, tweaking every setting in the DEV settings to try to squeeze performance, but now it just isn't needed on most phones IMO. I guess YMMV, but I am not worried much about optimizing anything, other than some simple things like disabling apps I don't use.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I had an s7 edge which went down the drain performance wise after a few months. Battery life severely deteriorated and Web browsing and typing became full of lag. Any tips in maintaining performance on my note 7 when I receive it? I am planning on not restoring any old backups just in case they carry over any previous performance issues.

Doesn't this happen to some computer OSs too (windows, for instance)?
At least it used to happen, and some people would just re-install the OS, for instance. I suppose I have nos seen the behavior because I usually install new ROMs after a while...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
There are some good ideas offered above if you are experiencing "lag".

Overall, my N5 is every bit as snappy as Day 1. Battery life is just about the same, with a tad of expected fall-off from being a year old now.

There are so many variables in the different use cases across the user population to accurately say that "lag" is a constant for Samsung or Android phones. Not for me. Must be b/c of what I do or don't do with my phone compared to some others.

That said, I use Package Disabler Pro tweaked to my own needs, I do not have hundreds of apps installed, I restart my phone every few days (pure OCD) and I wiped system cache maybe once in the past year out of curiosity - wondering if something awesome would happen - but it didn't.

I think (and hope!) that the N7 will be far more capable than my N5, and that with my particular use case, I'll continue to expect a lag-free user experience.

bluestl

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Now understand the Note 7 will be releasing the Nouget update soon. Download at your own risk.

That is what happened to me on my LG G4. It was humming along nicely with Lollipop but like everyone, I wanted MM. I complained to T-Mo as to where it was?. I finally got it and excitedly installed it. That was in March....within a couple of days I was regretting upgrading and that was the day the countdown to "Get the Note 7" started.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't this happen to some computer OSs too (windows, for instance)?
At least it used to happen, and some people would just re-install the OS, for instance. I suppose I have nos seen the behavior because I usually install new ROMs after a while...
Agreed. It's my understanding you can boot to "Safe Mode" on the Note7 (mine arrives tomorrow). Safe Mode is the System booted with no downloaded apps. This then allows you to see if you still have the lag. IF NO> DELETE ALL APPS and start over. IF YES> FACTORY RESET.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy Note7 (tomorrow)

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I really don't understand how people experiences can be so different with phones. I have a galaxy s7 and about 100 apps installed. I don't do anything special other than use my phone. However I get no lag and its just as fast as the day I got it. My friend has a one plus 3 and i see that the animations are faster but overall apps launch the same and once in the app, things scroll and move at the same speed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I really don't understand how people experiences can be so different with phones. I have a galaxy s7 and about 100 apps installed. I don't do anything special other than use my phone. However I get no lag and its just as fast as the day I got it. My friend has a one plus 3 and i see that the animations are faster but overall apps launch the same and once in the app, things scroll and move at the same speed.

Posted via the Android Central App
Just look at how differently people treat their "durable goods". A LOT of people don't realize that to pay for that stuff you got to give up some of your soul at a daily j o b.

Peace. Alan

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Me too because I don't see this "lag" the Samsung phones supposedly get.

No i meant it's ridiculous. Samsung should get there act together. I know this lag. It does. Stutters in so many apps. Lags in refreshing the home screen sometimes. But mostly it's inside certain apps. Mostly Google apps. And keyboard while writing long pieces of texts. But i think this keyboard lag exists in every android phone. Don't understand how and why. Its just text. Oh well.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. It's my understanding you can boot to "Safe Mode" on the Note7 (mine arrives tomorrow). Safe Mode is the System booted with no downloaded apps. This then allows you to see if you still have the lag. IF NO> DELETE ALL APPS and start over. IF YES> FACTORY RESET.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy Note7 (tomorrow)

Nice to know about that "Safe Mode". It has a lot of potential, I wonder if it is present in other models/brands/Android-versions, it could help many people. Particularly, your suggested algorithm sounds very reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol