*The* (AC) Galaxy Note 7 review! - UPDATED - DISCONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Product advisory:[FONT=&quot] After a recall due to exploding batteries, and a subsequent batch of replacement Galaxy Note 7s catching fire, Samsung [/FONT]has permanently discontinued the Galaxy Note 7[FONT=&quot]. You won't be able to buy one from your carrier or other major retailers, and you should not buy a Note 7 second-hand. Catch up on how we got to this point with [/FONT]everything you need to know about the Galaxy Note 7 recall[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

The complete, awesome, wonderful Galaxy Note 7 review is now up on Android Central!

I poured some serious time into this one, and I think you'll enjoy. Read on!

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review: Biggest and best | Android Central

And for you visual types, here's our full video review as well:

Last edited by a moderator:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: *The* Galaxy Note 7 review!

Also, feel free to ask me some Note 7 questions!

Could you test heavy 3D games at 1440p and 1080p and see if you notice less heat? I the 1080p adjustment is actual hardware scaling, you should notice a big difference in heat level and less battery drain. 1080p is much easier for the GPU to push than 1440p.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Thanks Andrew! Great read. I have mine pre-ordered and it's great to see that the Note 7 looks like a winner. Also glad to see that the curve didn't seem to interfere with the screen via incidental touches. I never had any Edge phones, so I was worried about this piece a bit.

Did you try using the power savings to change the screen resolution at all? If so, did that provide any significant battery savings? I probably wouldn't use other power saving modes much, but being able to change the screen resolution seems great.

Thanks again!

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Great to see all the reviews giving this phone high 9's out of 10. Andrew, obviously compared to the S7 the screen is bigger, and I know it's dependent on cell provider, but overall how is the battery?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Great job Andrew. You're my favorite remaining reviewer since Phil left us. :)

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Great review. Only thing that wasn't addressed was battery life as others have stated.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Could you test heavy 3D games at 1440p and 1080p and see if you notice less heat? I the 1080p adjustment is actual hardware scaling, you should notice a big difference in heat level and less battery drain. 1080p is much easier for the GPU to push than 1440p.

You mean by using Power saving mode to scale back the resolution to 1080p? That would be an odd way to cut back on heat. I don't think that there's enough of a heat/battery savings reason to do this. The Note 7 was designed to play games at full-tilt on its full resolution.

Thanks Andrew! Great read. I have mine pre-ordered and it's great to see that the Note 7 looks like a winner. Also glad to see that the curve didn't seem to interfere with the screen via incidental touches. I never had any Edge phones, so I was worried about this piece a bit.

Did you try using the power savings to change the screen resolution at all? If so, did that provide any significant battery savings? I probably wouldn't use other power saving modes much, but being able to change the screen resolution seems great.

Yeah I used it a few times, dropping things down to 1080p. I could only really go off of the estimations provided by the software, since it's tough to do a real-world test there, but I can say the Power saving mode does definitely work. I assume the estimations are rather generous, but they at least give you a decent idea of how much power you'll save.

Great to see all the reviews giving this phone high 9's out of 10. Andrew, obviously compared to the S7 the screen is bigger, and I know it's dependent on cell provider, but overall how is the battery?

Noted in the review. Short version: full day of use for me, the only factor was how hard I used it leading to somewhere between 5% and 20% battery at the end of the day. Right in line with the Galaxy S7, actually.

Battery life?

See above.

Great job Andrew. You're my favorite remaining reviewer since Phil left us. :)

D'aww ...

Don't worry, you'll see more of Phil soon enough :)

Typical SOT at the end of the day?

Obviously very dependent on usage. Like other recent phones with good batteries, I could do 3 hours of SOT without an issue.

Great review. Only thing that wasn't addressed was battery life as others have stated.

Definitely addressed in the review. If you have specific battery questions, I can try to answer them here.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

1440p on the GPU is much more taxing than 1080p. If the 1080p mode is true hardware scaling, there should be significant battery savings and less heat. Any app that leverages the GPU over the CPU would benefit. The software would grossly underestimate the battery savings estimate in this regard.

The two main heat producers are the GPU and LTE radio (weak signal areas).

You might be surprised :)

Last edited:

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Andrew, this will be my first Samsung phone. I have a question that you did not cover in your review. Please bear with me until the end of the question.

On some "review" videos, and reading anecdotes from actual users, I see that RAM management is a long standing issue with Samsung (or maybe Android?).

Touchwiz seems to be killing the apps in the background far too fast.

Will you be amending your initial review to add such minutia or will someone else focus more on the Note's new Touchwiz?

I'm just very curious about Samsung's RAM management.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site

Obviously very dependent on usage. Like other recent phones with good batteries, I could do 3 hours of SOT without an issue.

I'm not sure if I'm not calculating SOT the same but I have been using the DTEK50 for a week as I'm a legacy BB guy but have the Note 7 pre-ordered and on the DTEK I get over 4hrs of SOT with about 14hrs total before I have to charge again. I would expect the Note 7 to have the same if not better SOT and longer time between charge. I just go into the Battery Settings and hit "Screen" and it tells me how long the screen has been on I assume that's how you calculate this?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

1440p on the GPU is much more taxing than 1080p. If the 1080p mode is true hardware scaling, there should be significant battery savings and less heat. Any app that leverages the GPU over the CPU would benefit. The software would grossly underestimate the battery savings estimate in this regard.

The two main heat producers are the GPU and LTE radio (weak signal areas).

You might be surprised :)

Oh I absolutely agree that decreasing the effective resolution makes things a lot easier on the GPU. But I also think you maybe overestimate how hot the Note 7 is getting when you're playing games — I don't think that this is an issue that should require the user to change the resolution to mitigate heat.

Andrew, this will be my first Samsung phone. I have a question that you did not cover in your review. Please bear with me until the end of the question.

On some "review" videos, and reading anecdotes from actual users, I see that RAM management is a long standing issue with Samsung (or maybe Android?).

Touchwiz seems to be killing the apps in the background far too fast.

Will you be amending your initial review to add such minutia or will someone else focus more on the Note's new Touchwiz?

I'm just very curious about Samsung's RAM management.

You're correct that some people tend to harp on Samsung (and, well, every phone manufacturer) about RAM usage ... and in most cases, they don't really know what they're talking about.

I can say that just like previous Samsung phones, the Note 7 focuses its software to make sure that the system, launcher, camera and most-used apps are readily available in RAM so that you get the best possible experience in the daily use of your phone. No the Note 7 will not fill up the RAM to 99% and leave a week-old app sitting there ready to go, but then again you have to understand that there are trade offs associated with doing so.

Samsung, just like Google and everyone else, does some sculpting of RAM management to make sure the phone runs the way they want it to.

I'm not sure if I'm not calculating SOT the same but I have been using the DTEK50 for a week as I'm a legacy BB guy but have the Note 7 pre-ordered and on the DTEK I get over 4hrs of SOT with about 14hrs total before I have to charge again. I would expect the Note 7 to have the same if not better SOT and longer time between charge. I just go into the Battery Settings and hit "Screen" and it tells me how long the screen has been on I assume that's how you calculate this?

We are indeed calulating SOT the same.

The issue with SOT as a measurement is it doesn't tell you what was being done when the screen was on. If I just turn off the screen timeout and have the phone display a static webpage, it can do that for probably 10 hours. If i just load up a TV show in Google Play Movies it can likely run that for like 6 hours. But turning the phone on and off throughout the day, using it for various things, you won't always be able to measure that as being the same. There's also substantial drain from other processes and background tasks that happen when the phone is idling with the screen off.

Could I easily hit 4 hours of SOT on the Note 7 throughout the day? Sure. Did I regularly do that? Nope, I don't often look at my phone for a total of 4 hours a day. But with my average usage, which includes about 3 hours of SOT, the Note 7 didn't die before the end of the day.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Samsung Notes appeared very limited on the demo versions at best buy. Can you do things like change the background or templates or are you limited to the ruled page only on Samsung notes. Thanks

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried connecting a USB-C to HDMI/VGA adaptor? Will it work? Thanks!

Dkdude

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

How is the audio output from the headphone jack compared to the S7? The S7 seems to have lackluster output on the Snapdragon version, curious if there has been improvement.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for your answer sir.

No problem!

Great, in depth and detailed review Andrew - thank you very much!

No, thank you!

Samsung Notes appeared very limited on the demo versions at best buy. Can you do things like change the background or templates or are you limited to the ruled page only on Samsung notes. Thanks

I only see a lined page in the main notes area, or a blank canvas in the drawing/painting area.

Have you tried connecting a USB-C to HDMI/VGA adaptor? Will it work? Thanks!

I have not ... will have to check that another time. My educated guess is a "no" on that, though.

How is the audio output from the headphone jack compared to the S7? The S7 seems to have lackluster output on the Snapdragon version, curious if there has been improvement.

Same as the GS7 to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.