09-09-2016 02:56 PM
169 12345 ...
tools
    Since most people seem to think I'm making this up, despite pulling everything from reviews, are are some sources for y'all.

- Battery life is so-so, not as great as the s7 edge
    Samsung Galaxy Note7 review: Thinking Big - page 3 - GSMArena.com
    Battery Life and Charge Time - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review
    pocketnow
    Michael Fisher

- Camera quality is decent, marginally better than s7
    Samsung Galaxy Note7 review: Thinking Big - page 10 - GSMArena.com
    "Samsung has touched up the camera internals too so we think it offers slightly better image quality than the S7 duo"

- TW/Software isn't very fluid, looks like there are some dropped frames here and there
    Software UX: TouchWiz Redesigned - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review

- Audio quality through the 3.5mm jack is decent
    Samsung Galaxy Note7 review: Thinking Big - page 9 - GSMArena.com
    Michael Fisher
    Forum Posts on AC

- Display is marginally better than the s7/note 5
    Phonearena
    anandtech
    Displaymate

- Most benchmarks (but not all) are slightly below that of the s7
    System Performance - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review
    System Performance Cont'd and NAND Performance - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review
    Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Review - Edge Screen, S Pen Features and Performance

These are synthetic benchmarks so take it as you will.

- In-hand feel is vastly improved with the symmetric design'
    - S-Pen is a mixed bag but no reviewer has any major complaints; The argument here is whether or not it's useful, but that's dependent on individual needs

So dear Samsung fans, I am not intentionally bashing your phone. This was all from reviews. And in fact-90% of the tidbits I mentioned were positive.

Oh and yes, I like Samsung phones too with a preorder in for the N7. I'm just laying down what was posted already.
    recDNA and chriskwarren like this.
    08-16-2016 12:13 PM
    Since most people seem to think I'm making this up, despite pulling everything from reviews, are are some sources for y'all.

pocketnow
    Michael Fisher

"Samsung has touched up the camera internals too so we think it offers slightly better image quality than the S7 duo"

- TW/Software isn't very fluid, looks like there are some dropped frames here and there

Michael Fisher
    Forum Posts on AC

Phonearena
    anandtech
    Displaymate

System Performance Cont'd and NAND Performance - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review

- S-Pen is a mixed bag but no reviewer has any major complaints; The argument here is whether or not it's useful, but that's dependent on individual needs

So dear Samsung fans, I am not intentionally bashing your phone. This was all from reviews. And in fact-90% of the tidbits I mentioned were positive.

Oh and yes, I like Samsung phones too with a preorder in for the N7. I'm just laying down what was posted already.
    You are cherry picking the most negative stuff...as they say on ESPN..."Come on, man!"
    08-16-2016 12:20 PM

pocketnow
    Michael Fisher

Michael Fisher
    Forum Posts on AC

Phonearena
    anandtech
    Displaymate

Your links still don't check out. In the mr. Mobile review that you link, he makes no mention of comparing the battery to the S7 Edge. He comments that the battery life is "fine," and then he says that he has basically given up on finding any phone with great battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2016 12:29 PM
    You are cherry picking the most negative stuff...as they say on ESPN..."Come on, man!"
    He helped me out. Seems like a solid upgrade from my note 4. Nothing there I couldn't live with.

My largest concern is the non replaceable battery and the overall lack of a risky innovation attempt.
    08-16-2016 12:36 PM
    I don't mind that. Cherry picking positive things is more common but utterly useless when trying to evaluate a phone. The one thing I found odd was the camera OK remark. I thought this was by far the best phone camera ever
    08-16-2016 12:40 PM
    Really guys? Re-read my post and tell me if there is more negative aspects than positive on there. Fan-boys are the worst, you have to look at the bigger picture here.

Any 'marginal' improvement over the S7 is quite good news considering that was released 5 months ago. And in comparison to the Note 5, an even bigger improvement.
    08-16-2016 12:43 PM
    -So dear Samsung fans, I am not intentionally bashing your phone. This was all from reviews. And in fact-90% of the tidbits I mentioned were positive.
    It's not your sources that are in question, it's your summary of their reviews/results. For example:

Phonearena
    anandtech
    Displaymate

In actuality, Displaymate says: The Best Smartphone Display
    The Galaxy Note7 provides many major and important state-of-the-art display enhancements, with mobile OLED display technology now advancing faster than ever. The Galaxy Note7 is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It leapfrogs the displays on the Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S7 to become the Best Performing Smartphone Display ever.

The Galaxy Note7 matches or breaks new Smartphone display performance records for:
    · Widest Color Gamuts for Current Content (DCI-P3 for Digital Cinema and Adobe RGB for Digital Photos)
    · Highest Peak Brightness (1,048 nits)
    · Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (228)
    · Highest Screen Resolution (2560x1440)
    · Highest (infinite) Contrast Ratio
    · Lowest Screen Reflectance (4.6 percent)
    · Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (21 percent)

· Almost every display lab test and measurement shows some improvements compared to the Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S7.

It's silly to try to point-by-point talk about your characterizations, but I would leave it at: You might not not exactly be listing the overall context as it was written with your summaries :-)
    08-16-2016 12:58 PM
    When you say the display and camera are marginally better, understand that means they're improvements upon the best. So that's a HUGE plus. We're not going to see a dramatic increase in either of those two things.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    08-16-2016 12:59 PM
    It's not your sources that are in question, it's your summary of their reviews/results. For example:

In actuality, Displaymate says: The Best Smartphone Display
    The Galaxy Note7 provides many major and important state-of-the-art display enhancements, with mobile OLED display technology now advancing faster than ever. The Galaxy Note7 is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It leapfrogs the displays on the Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S7 to become the Best Performing Smartphone Display ever.

The Galaxy Note7 matches or breaks new Smartphone display performance records for:
    · Widest Color Gamuts for Current Content (DCI-P3 for Digital Cinema and Adobe RGB for Digital Photos)
    · Highest Peak Brightness (1,048 nits)
    · Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (228)
    · Highest Screen Resolution (2560x1440)
    · Highest (infinite) Contrast Ratio
    · Lowest Screen Reflectance (4.6 percent)
    · Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (21 percent)

· Almost every display lab test and measurement shows some improvements compared to the Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S7.

It's silly to try to point-by-point talk about your characterizations, but I would leave it at: You might not not exactly be listing the overall context as it was written with your summaries :-)
    Not to mention, we are all pretty capable to read the reviews ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

I don't need cliffnotes.

Speaking of which, I really love how detailed most of these reviews are. I'm surprised how many new features this phone has that I didn't know.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2016 01:02 PM
    Pocket Now

There's something about that Rivera guy that bugs the shizzz out of me.
    JmKc, felloffthetruck and jshah500 like this.
    08-16-2016 01:05 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the Note 7 has the highest cellphone review score ever on The Verge.
    Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate. That's what Samsung will be singing- all the way to the bank.

Added: I joke, since like different perspective. All except the infamous app load / lag comparisons. No offence to folks. but that is essentially Fool's Gold. Android is what it is in that regard.
    08-16-2016 01:07 PM
    When you say the display and camera are marginally better, understand that means they're improvements upon the best. So that's a HUGE plus. We're not going to see a dramatic increase in either of those two things.
    That's precisely what I was getting at...

Both the camera and display being marginally better is a great thing. In both of those areas I'd already consider them best-in-class already for the S7. But they aren't anything to write home about comparing the N7 and S7...it's a bigger change if we're comparing the Note 5.
    Aquila and dsignori like this.
    08-16-2016 01:22 PM
    Anand review summary really doesn't seem impressed with the Note 7.

08-16-2016 01:39 PM
    He helped me out. Seems like a solid upgrade from my note 4. Nothing there I couldn't live with.

My largest concern is the non replaceable battery and the overall lack of a risky innovation attempt.
    seems a great upgrade from note 4.

those worried about non removeable maybe get the battery pack that gives you 80% from 0%.
    08-16-2016 01:44 PM
    Anand review summary really doesn't seem impressed with the Note 7.
    people should ignore all reviews from that place. Apple homer site thats all that site is. Their samsung reviews are rather embarrassing.
    08-16-2016 01:44 PM
    Sadly, anandtech is one of the few sites that really gets nitty gritty with all the technical bits. Their reviews are very detailed, and usually factual. But their opinions are usually slightly biased.
    08-16-2016 01:47 PM
    Well, just going by the summary I think they give it high marks as a smartphone... but comparing against the S7 Edge, that's where they get really nitpicky and basically saying, "Why?" when you have an S7 edge already and worth the $850 premium for the additional S-pen.

Don't get me wrong... the Note is on the top of my list of replacements... last few phones after my iPhone 4S has been Nexus 4, LG G2, LG G3 but when that broke I have been using a loaner Iphone 6 from work before deciding to shell out full price for my next phone.

They nitpicked how the next Note hopefully looks different from the S series and nitpicked the placement of some ports lol... But I think they were probably not liking the fact they were bringing the Note 7 inline with the S series maybe? Maybe even watered it down a bit because the battery is in between the S7 and Edge...

The Note to me looks like it is marketed as a top power user phone they have... bigger screen and smaller battery over the S7 Edge... but the Edge seems to be the power user phone over Note if you don't care for the S-pen. It would have been nice if they went mongo with the battery and went 4000+

It really is hard to plop $850 for it... luckily I just found out I can get it for $600 through my company so it makes it more comfortable for me.

people should ignore all reviews from that place. Apple homer site thats all that site is. Their samsung reviews are rather embarrassing.
    08-16-2016 01:58 PM
    LOL, the way he says his name? I cringe whenever he says it.
    Thisistip likes this.
    08-16-2016 02:00 PM
    Can't we all just get aphone??
    08-16-2016 02:06 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the Note 7 has the highest cellphone review score ever on The Verge.
    Yup...you are correct. Most have scored it the best reviewed Android phone.

There is never going to be a "perfect" phone. It's kind of like people that vote for the MLB HOF. No one ever gets into the HOF on 100% of the ballots the 1st time. There are just some that don't believe in it. So you're never going to get a 100% concensous. I find many of those who call themselves "experts" on mobile devices are just pretenous glorified bloggers that need to be "right" with their reviews. No one is ever "right". It's all about how people perceive something and everyone is different.

Reading and watching all these reviews I can tell you the vast majority were glowing.
    08-16-2016 02:12 PM
    Seems from a few of the benchmarks that they tweaked the snapdragons performance compared to the s7. So that's a bit of relief for those of us getting the snapdragon variant
    08-16-2016 02:22 PM
    I'm with you there, that HiMe BS makes me want to puke.
    08-16-2016 02:25 PM
    Sadly, anandtech is one of the few sites that really gets nitty gritty with all the technical bits. Their reviews are very detailed, and usually factual. But their opinions are usually slightly biased.

Very true. They are quite technical - overly technical for me. When I need to know some technical piece of info, that is the place to look. When I want opinions on real world use, I would probably look at a few other places before there.
    08-16-2016 02:45 PM
    I'm waiting for Flossy Carter's full review once he gets it.
    08-16-2016 03:01 PM
    I'm waiting for Erica Griffin's review.
    08-16-2016 03:29 PM
169 12345 ...