169 ... 34567
tools
    Add one more glowing review from Android Authority
    Aquila likes this.
    08-16-2016 11:16 PM
    My brother has to use iPhone at work. He is jealous

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2016 11:50 PM
    I'm just hoping I get 20 percent more battery life than my note 4. I've ordered it exited but really concerned about the battery

08-17-2016 12:43 AM
    Like others here I always like Floss Carter and Erica Griffen's reviews the best. And of course Mr Mobile. Those are the only three I really trust. All the others are just time fillers.
    In addition to the above mentioned, I also like Lisa @ Mobiletch review
    I would also like to add Marques Brownlee to this list of reviewers that should be checked out.
    akin_t, EMGSM, areyes163 and 1 others like this.
    08-17-2016 01:59 AM
    There's no proving to do. The S7e has a larger battery, combined with a smaller screen.

its not that "cut & dried"...i think everyone knows by now larger battery/ smaller screen does NOT neccessarily = better battery life....Samsung having 6 months since S7 Edge's release to tweak & optimize its software might make a huge difference...

so here's hoping new Note 7 owners will be pleasantly surprised : )

BTC
    08-17-2016 05:38 AM
    When I first looked at the Note 7 when they announced it, I didn't really give it much thought. "S7 Edge with an S Pen" was my initial response and apparently I wasn't alone. I even answered in the Nexus 6P forum that I wouldn't be giving this phone a serious look.

I've changed my mind.

I've owned both the S7 and S7 Edge this year and really had zero complaints. I've also owned the 6P (using it at this moment), 5X, iPhone 6S, Moto X Pure, and had a very brief stint with the HTC 10 this year. The S7 Edge stood out to me as the best of the bunch, but admittedly I've spent more time with the 6S and 6P this year because of updates/dev previews of iOS 10 and Nougat.

If you ask most mobile reviewers, the S7 (or S7 Edge) probably top their smartphone list for 2016. The Note 7, and I didn't learn this until I got some hands on time at Best Buy, actually improves upon those devices in meaningful ways. The software is much cleaner. The power saving modes allow you to reduce the screen resolution for battery saving which is a first that I've seen. The design is an improvement over the S7 Edge and it's extremely comfortable to hold. HDR video is a really nice tweak. The camera software upgrade makes sense and is a nice improvement.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Samsung took most of that to heart, but they decided to improve the things that matter most and I honestly can't think of a reason why I wouldn't buy this phone. So I preordered it yesterday and look forward to sharing my experiences with it as I always do.

mustang8918 and delynnie like this.
    08-17-2016 08:12 AM
    Samsung took most of that to heart, but they decided to improve the things that matter most
    That's what they've been doing with the Note line for the past few generations... While the difference in advancement between the Note and its S sibling is shrinking (nature of the platform as it matures), the fact still remains that the Note usually always has meaningful improvements. Now, even though the S7 and S7E were very well received, I was pretty confident that the Note would build upon that.
    Baby_Doc likes this.
    08-17-2016 09:19 AM
    its not that "cut & dried"...i think everyone knows by now larger battery/ smaller screen does NOT neccessarily = better battery life....Samsung having 6 months since S7 Edge's release to tweak & optimize its software might make a huge difference...

BTC
    Possibly, but also possibly not.
    08-17-2016 09:28 AM
    If Samsung got back in bed with Google and made this a Nexus device, they could literally drop the mic for 2016, 2017 and 2018.
    08-17-2016 09:51 AM
    The only bad rated review I have seen so far is PC Mag in Australia. It came across almost as an iPhone fanboy propaganda rant.
    08-17-2016 10:05 AM
    If Samsung got back in bed with Google and made this a Nexus device, they could literally drop the mic for 2016, 2017 and 2018.
    Potentially, but they would also have to drop the micro sd slot. Samsung does not want the sales hit again and invested heavily into 256gb micro fabrication (hence the current Note deal) Apparently it was an expensive hurdle to overcome the previous ceiling of 200GB and they need to sell a lot of cards to get the return on investment. Seems Samsung will have micro sd slots for the next few years on their devices to support this.

Samsung probably does not want the Google constraints and baggage. Samsung would go with their own home grown OS if they thought their mass consumers would adopt. Their market pilots so far with their own OS have been poorly received.

A Nexus Sammy with micro sd would be cool though
    Law2138 likes this.
    08-17-2016 10:12 AM
    No, No, and way no... the software is what makes this a Note. Why would you want to strip everything that makes this device special, and dumb it down to basic android. The s-pen, hd video, camera, iris scanner... all gone with a nexus. If your fine with that, then there are better phone options than a Note available for you.

Wanting to turn this into a Nexus is as crazy as saying "Why doesn't samsung get into bed with Apple and turn this in to an iOS device"
    08-17-2016 10:35 AM
    Sort of. Anadtech, like so many posters here, and so many tech sites, never properly qualify their price /value opinions. What I mean by that is that 99% of the buying public does NOT pay full retail price when getting a new phone. They use their upgrades to get discounts, pay on a monthly plan, etc. I have never once paid full price for a phone. While many here on the forums do, and many tech site writers do, almost no one in the general public does.

As such, I might have to pay $5/month more to get the Note 7 per month over a S7E, or so. Someone else might pay an extra $50 up front for a contract - if anyone is still on them, etc. So is this "worth" $5 for me? I think so, yeah :-). If they would just clarify their pricing discussions a bit more in this way, perhaps by saying something like my "biggest beef with the phone is the price for what you get - if you have to pay full price to get it", AnandTech could be a bit more precise - as they like to be :-).
    I agree. The full price difference (N7 v SE7) at Verizon is $72. Isn't that about the going rate for the extra memory alone? Add that to a few of the other N7 features, and I don't know how you would not buy the N7 compared to the SE7.

The only argument is that in a few months there will be deals, but I don't buy those, because you can always say that. If you are going to buy a phone today, the N7 seems to be the one to get.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-17-2016 10:42 AM

BTC
    I hope you're right, but most reviews seem to say its a little worse then the S7 Edge, but still good.
    08-17-2016 10:46 AM
    To address Josh's review over at Anandtech, I think he makes some valid points. I don't agree with him that the Note 7 has an inferior camera than the HTC 10, but the software (in which I haven't had any real time with and he has) might still have issues with fluidity like before. Honestly, I didn't run into much of it on my S7 Edge, but I'm guessing if you compare it side by side with an HTC 10 it might be noticeable. Do I wish Samsung would focus a tad more on those things? Sure. I also acknowledge that it's a minor part of an entire product that is head and shoulders above what anyone else is doing right now, including Apple.

Reviews are great, guys, but so many of you have had a lot of these phones and know what to expect going in. If you liked the S7/S7 Edge or agree it's at the top of it's class currently, you aren't going to be disappointed by a device that's taken that formula and improved upon it.

08-17-2016 10:48 AM
    I love the Note 7 but won't buy it. The only reason is its software.
    08-17-2016 11:33 AM
    What's wrong with the software? I haven't owned a Samsung product before, this will be my first.
    08-17-2016 11:36 AM

BTC
    Reviews so far are mostly saying 4 to 4.5 hours. I'm hoping they're heavier users than I am or use higher display brightness than I do.
    08-17-2016 11:39 AM
    That would be such a silly thing to do. Why would they make this a nexus? You'd lose all the goodies that make a Note a Note. Unless you mean keep stock android, but port over all the good features? (i.e. Iris Scanner, Stylus software, Multi-window, one hand mode, Edge UX, resolution changing power savings etc.)

I think you're underestimating just how much stock android is missing. Stock android is very very boring. Google is lucky it has OEMs that are pushing the envelope.
    08-17-2016 11:40 AM
    Originally Posted by Gautam Lakum
    What's wrong with the software? I haven't owned a Samsung product before, this will be my first.
    Better question: What is the Note 7 without the software?
    08-17-2016 12:45 PM
    Better question: What is the Note 7 without the software?
    Just a big phone.
    SteelGator likes this.
    08-17-2016 12:54 PM
    08-17-2016 01:31 PM
    No, No, and way no... the software is what makes this a Note. Why would you want to strip everything that makes this device special, and dumb it down to basic android. The s-pen, hd video, camera, iris scanner... all gone with a nexus. If your fine with that, then there are better phone options than a Note available for you.

Wanting to turn this into a Nexus is as crazy as saying "Why doesn't samsung get into bed with Apple and turn this in to an iOS device"
    Perhaps. I know nothing of the Note software experience so I cannot comment on that. Pure android appeals to me because I really dislike bloat on any level. (Maybe I should have asked for an unlocked Note 7).

Anyways, I was coming at it with my opinion of the two which are:

1.) I really like the pure Android experience
    2.) I really like Samsung hardware
    08-17-2016 02:45 PM
    Perhaps. I know nothing of the Note software experience so I cannot comment on that. Pure android appeals to me because I really dislike bloat on any level. (Maybe I should have asked for an unlocked Note 7).

Anyways, I was coming at it with my opinion of the two which are:

1.) I really like the pure Android experience
    2.) I really like Samsung hardware
    But Samsung hardware (unless you're referring to aesthetics) is wasted with pure Nexus.

You lose the camera, you lose the s-pen, you lose the iris scanner, you lose the fingerprint reader (it's faster than Google's implementation), you lose multi window, you lose one handed mode.

Pure Android is just marginally better than iOS (without root) when you think about it. It's the OEMs that make Android what it is in my opinion.
    Law2138 likes this.
    08-17-2016 02:52 PM
    That would be such a silly thing to do. Why would they make this a nexus? You'd lose all the goodies that make a Note a Note. Unless you mean keep stock android, but port over all the good features? (i.e. Iris Scanner, Stylus software, Multi-window, one hand mode, Edge UX, resolution changing power savings etc.)

I think you're underestimating just how much stock android is missing. Stock android is very very boring. Google is lucky it has OEMs that are pushing the envelope.
    Maybe I am underestimating it. I did not consider moving features, but I guess Nexus would do that. I think a part of me is wishing something would happen, that probably won't ever. I like the idea of taking a device and making it what I want it to be by adding and removing apps easily. Every manufacturer can create their own UI with Android, but after the carriers have their way it just seems like, "Look, there's a bunch of apps I have to disable."

I want Samsung quality hardware and design, with the option to say I want this feature or app, or I don't want this feature or app. Just wishful thinking.
    08-17-2016 02:59 PM
169 ... 34567