Galaxy Note 7 Reviews Are Up

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Reviews Are Up

No, No, and way no... the software is what makes this a Note. Why would you want to strip everything that makes this device special, and dumb it down to basic android. The s-pen, hd video, camera, iris scanner... all gone with a nexus. If your fine with that, then there are better phone options than a Note available for you.

Wanting to turn this into a Nexus is as crazy as saying "Why doesn't samsung get into bed with Apple and turn this in to an iOS device"

Perhaps. I know nothing of the Note software experience so I cannot comment on that. Pure android appeals to me because I really dislike bloat on any level. (Maybe I should have asked for an unlocked Note 7).

Anyways, I was coming at it with my opinion of the two which are:

1.) I really like the pure Android experience
2.) I really like Samsung hardware

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Perhaps. I know nothing of the Note software experience so I cannot comment on that. Pure android appeals to me because I really dislike bloat on any level. (Maybe I should have asked for an unlocked Note 7).

Anyways, I was coming at it with my opinion of the two which are:

1.) I really like the pure Android experience
2.) I really like Samsung hardware
But Samsung hardware (unless you're referring to aesthetics) is wasted with pure Nexus.

You lose the camera, you lose the s-pen, you lose the iris scanner, you lose the fingerprint reader (it's faster than Google's implementation), you lose multi window, you lose one handed mode.

Pure Android is just marginally better than iOS (without root) when you think about it. It's the OEMs that make Android what it is in my opinion.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

That would be such a silly thing to do. Why would they make this a nexus? You'd lose all the goodies that make a Note a Note. Unless you mean keep stock android, but port over all the good features? (i.e. Iris Scanner, Stylus software, Multi-window, one hand mode, Edge UX, resolution changing power savings etc.)

I think you're underestimating just how much stock android is missing. Stock android is very very boring. Google is lucky it has OEMs that are pushing the envelope.

Maybe I am underestimating it. I did not consider moving features, but I guess Nexus would do that. I think a part of me is wishing something would happen, that probably won't ever. I like the idea of taking a device and making it what I want it to be by adding and removing apps easily. Every manufacturer can create their own UI with Android, but after the carriers have their way it just seems like, "Look, there's a bunch of apps I have to disable."

I want Samsung quality hardware and design, with the option to say I want this feature or app, or I don't want this feature or app. Just wishful thinking.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
You disagree that it's the best, even though you don't have it, it is unreleased, and not in the public hands yet? His words were "It is plenty fast today, but I worry about tomorrow". This is not a cause for concern, at all, for me. 1 reviewer's " wondering about the future" should not cause concern IMO

I disagree because I'm sorry I can't call Samsungs take on Android, android. For me it isn't. Kill me bash me hate me. But I've used 4 Samsung flaships which I love. Ive used 2 nexus flagships which I've loved. 2 HTC flagships which I've loved. One song flagship which I've loved. The experience is different with nexus HTC and Sony as compared to Samsung. It just is.

For me at least, Samsung isn't android. Samsung is Samsung. Which isn't a bad thing. Some people love it. But calling it the best of android isn't doing Google justice. They worked hard on implementing material design and made android simple with a continuous design and user language throughout the UI. Samsung didn't adopt any of that. They haven't yet. And i don't appreciate that.

Yes Samsung is android because of the flexibility. But thats just it. Samsung isn't the best of android. I choose the best of android from non-samsung devices. I still love Samsung for what it is. But again... Cant call it the best of android.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I like stock Android, or near stock. I am switching to the HTC 10, from a Nexus 6P. I never really consider Samsung, mainly because of its software. I do not like gimmicky software. I prefer lightweight software, and a company that will give me timely updates, like HTC.
I also like to support HTC instead of Samsung. Samsung doesn't need me. HTC needs every single supporter out there. I do not want to see them gone.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I disagree because I'm sorry I can't call Samsungs take on Android, android. For me it isn't. Kill me bash me hate me. But I've used 4 Samsung flaships which I love. Ive used 2 nexus flagships which I've loved. 2 HTC flagships which I've loved. One song flagship which I've loved. The experience is different with nexus HTC and Sony as compared to Samsung. It just is.

For me at least, Samsung isn't android. Samsung is Samsung. Which isn't a bad thing. Some people love it. But calling it the best of android isn't doing Google justice. They worked hard on implementing material design and made android simple with a continuous design and user language throughout the UI. Samsung didn't adopt any of that. They haven't yet. And i don't appreciate that.

Yes Samsung is android because of the flexibility. But thats just it. Samsung isn't the best of android. I choose the best of android from non-samsung devices. I still love Samsung for what it is. But again... Cant call it the best of android.
I feel the exact opposite. I see stock Android as being basic and dull compared to HTC or Samsung. In the case of Samsung, their phones are packed with features and represent the best of what Android is capable of. The Note 7 is a power users dream. Yes, the battery isn't removable, but the amount of things you can do with the Note 7 is incredible and can't be done using stock Android.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention, we are all pretty capable to read the reviews ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

I don't need cliffnotes.

Speaking of which, I really love how detailed most of these reviews are. I'm surprised how many new features this phone has that I didn't know.

Posted via the Android Central App
In fairness I asked for written reviews. I don't like video reviews

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I have the exact opposite opinion (which is the key word here). So when you say you can't call it "the best of Android", what you mean is that "you" wouldn't. Many would, including me. I find stock Android very very boring and lacking features which Samsung has had for years, right form the notification area on down. We all have our opinions I guess. That reviewer's happened to be that Samsung's version is , in fact, the best of Android ...

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact opposite opinion (which is the key word here). So when you say you can't call it "the best of Android", what you mean is that "you" wouldn't. Many would, including me. I find stock Android very very boring and lacking features which Samsung has had for years, right form the notification area on down. We all have our opinions I guess. That reviewer's happened to be that Samsung's version is , in fact, the best of Android ...

That's what I never get. Let's celebrate the choices of Android by making it more stock and more like iOS?

That's a complete contradiction.

Last edited:

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Stock android in my opinion is boring and lacking good stuff that u can find on touchwiz, heck multiwindows been here for ages with sammy, yet not on stock android, many sammy features getting ported to android one way or the other.

As for reviews, i wonder how the battery will hold up vs S7E, some say 4 SOT some say 5hr sot, it all dependes on user.

Acapella75

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

Bloat still seems to be a problem. How can a company like Samsung allow carriers to wreck thier phones?

ogl > cal

I just went to the AT&T store and played with their display note. All of the AT&T apps and most of the Samsung ones can be straight up deleted now.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
While I appreciate stock Android (I always buy every Nexus device every year/I'm typing this on a 6P), the attitude that most have who love it towards Samsung is amusing to me. A few years back with the S4/S5 and even the S6 to an extent, I could understand the dislike of TouchWiz as it pertains to speed and smoothness when compared to a Nexus. Every forum argument on the Samsung side generally involved this and clearly there was a distaste for their software.

Now? The argument generally relies on older problems Samsung had because the newest version of their software is a far cry from the TouchWiz of yesteryear. Not everyone is going to like it, but the age-old "Nexus is cleaner/faster/better" argument just doesn't work that well anymore.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Cnet Uk review gives it a 9.0

THE GOOD The Galaxy Note 7 is a beautiful, capable Android phone that showcases Samsung's best in design, battery life, speed and features. The 64GB base model leaves you plenty of space for photos, videos and games, and it's a real improvement over 2015's Note 5.

THE BAD It's pricier than almost every other Android phone, and a little heavy. After seven iterations, there are still minor problems writing with the S Pen stylus. Fine particles, like beach sand, can wedge the stylus in its holder.

THE BOTTOM LINE The Galaxy Note 7 is the best no-compromise, big-screen phone you can buy if price is no object. All but the most devoted stylus lovers, however, will do just as well with the cheaper S7 models.
9.0 OVERALL
DESIGN9.0
FEATURES9.0
PERFORMANCE8.0
CAMERA9.0
BATTERY 10.00
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review: The sexiest large-screen phone ever - CNET

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Great review of a great smartphone !!
Note 7 is no doubt the best smartphone in the world right now & it will remain so in the future :)
The only competitor for Note 7 will be Note 8 !!

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
'How to keep Note 7 in top performance and lag free'

Is a name of the thread. Created by an actual user. On these forums. You will see it in the list of threads. If you don't just scroll down a bit you'll find it.

The fact that this thread still exists in mid 2016 is mind boggling to me.

Like I said before, I love Sammy boy for what they do. They innovate and push boundaries. I agree. But they don't push the boundaries where Google is trying to do it. User experience.

I know I know. Talking in the Samsung forum I'm in an extreme minority. But i dont care. I stand by my statement. Samsung isn't android. Samsung is Samsung. I love Samsung. But i love android more.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
'How to keep Note 7 in top performance and lag free'

Is a name of the thread. Created by an actual user. On these forums. You will see it in the list of threads. If you don't just scroll down a bit you'll find it.

The fact that this thread still exists in mid 2016 is mind boggling to me.

Like I said before, I love Sammy boy for what they do. They innovate and push boundaries. I agree. But they don't push the boundaries where Google is trying to do it. User experience.

I know I know. Talking in the Samsung forum I'm in an extreme minority. But i dont care. I stand by my statement. Samsung isn't android. Samsung is Samsung. I love Samsung. But i love android more.
Samsung is pushing far more boundaries for user experience than Google is. The Note 7 is a perfect example of that. Samsung phones deliver an upgraded Android experience, not a downgraded one.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

Since most people seem to think I'm making this up, despite pulling everything from reviews, are are some sources for y'all.

- Battery life is so-so, not as great as the s7 edge
Samsung Galaxy Note7 review: Thinking Big - page 3 - GSMArena.com
Battery Life and Charge Time - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review
pocketnow
Michael Fisher

- Camera quality is decent, marginally better than s7
Samsung Galaxy Note7 review: Thinking Big - page 10 - GSMArena.com
"Samsung has touched up the camera internals too so we think it offers slightly better image quality than the S7 duo"

- TW/Software isn't very fluid, looks like there are some dropped frames here and there :(
Software UX: TouchWiz Redesigned - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review

- Audio quality through the 3.5mm jack is decent
Samsung Galaxy Note7 review: Thinking Big - page 9 - GSMArena.com
Michael Fisher
Forum Posts on AC

- Display is marginally better than the s7/note 5
Phonearena
anandtech
Displaymate

- Most benchmarks (but not all) are slightly below that of the s7
System Performance - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review
System Performance Cont'd and NAND Performance - The Samsung Galaxy Note7 (S820) Review
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Review - Edge Screen, S Pen Features and Performance

These are synthetic benchmarks so take it as you will.

- In-hand feel is vastly improved with the symmetric design'
- S-Pen is a mixed bag but no reviewer has any major complaints; The argument here is whether or not it's useful, but that's dependent on individual needs

So dear Samsung fans, I am not intentionally bashing your phone. This was all from reviews. And in fact-90% of the tidbits I mentioned were positive.

Oh and yes, I like Samsung phones too with a preorder in for the N7. I'm just laying down what was posted already.
I see what you're saying, but there is most definitely a negative connotation to what you have written.

So here is a summary of your word choices:

- Decent
- Slightly
- Marginally
- So-so
- Dropped

And of course a thrown in for good measure.

So, you come into a thread full of people who are excited for their new device and diminish it by using "small terms," and then play coy when met with aggression, which *thumbs through Hitchhiker's Guide To Trolling* by my calculations, puts you dangerously close to troll territory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma