08-20-2016 09:32 AM
58 123
tools
    So I usually don't get carrier phones, but my current phone's USB port is slowly dying and the Note 7 being round the corner is probably going to be my next phone.

I'm with AT&T, I have no qualms about switching providers ... I think T-Mobile has the least amount of bloat, but I'm not certain. How many apps does T-Mobile put on their Galaxy phones?
    08-16-2016 02:12 PM
    Depends on how you define bloatware. I think it's approximately AT&T is worse than Verizon is equal to TMobile is worse than Sprint, but not totally sure. Sprint is a bit of a non-starter.
    AndroidDinh and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    08-16-2016 02:14 PM
    Depends on how you define bloatware. I think it's approximately AT&T is worse than Verizon is equal to TMobile is worse than Sprint, but not totally sure. Sprint is a bit of a non-starter.
    How else is bloatware to be defined? Bloatware is any app that the carrier puts on the phone that the manufacturer didn't.
    ConstantDefector likes this.
    08-16-2016 02:32 PM
    T-Mobile is usually pretty light. Sprint and Verizon aren't too bad. AT&T is the worst.
    Shamshi-Adad and kramer5150 like this.
    08-16-2016 02:41 PM
    How else is bloatware to be defined? Bloatware is any app that the carrier puts on the phone that the manufacturer didn't.
    I consider some OEM installed apps to be bloatware, all carrier apps except those necessary to have functionality (wifi calling, etc). Everyone has different levels of tolerances for stuff that's not stock.
    seanmten and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    08-16-2016 02:45 PM
    Coming from iOS like me, we tend to lump any app that Apple will not let you delete as bloatware.
    Shamshi-Adad and libra89 like this.
    08-16-2016 02:47 PM
    On the Verizon s7 edge, you were able to flash the unlocked firmware. Can't say that it would happen on the note 7 though...
    shadow82x and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    08-16-2016 04:23 PM
    To add to that I personally consider ugly carrier logos also bloat
    kz121.xp likes this.
    08-16-2016 04:27 PM
    It's been damn near 4 years since I bought a Sprint phone but I the last one I bought I think damn near had nothing.
    08-16-2016 04:29 PM
    To add to that I personally consider ugly carrier logos also bloat
    Luckily T-Mobile isn't branding the Note 7. I just checked it out at their store, I think they have like 5 or 6 carrier specific apps bundled. I was going to wait for Unlocked, but honestly I need a new phone soon. So I just pre-ordered it.
    08-16-2016 04:41 PM
    Luckily T-Mobile isn't branding the Note 7. I just checked it out at their store, I think they have like 5 or 6 carrier specific apps bundled. I was going to wait for Unlocked, but honestly I need a new phone soon. So I just pre-ordered it.
    Yeah good choice, I'm also on T-Mobile. They are the next best to unbranded version.
    08-16-2016 05:40 PM
    My note 5 on AT&T had a ton of pre installed apps that couldn't be removed aside from disabling them. This even included a yellowpages app if I recall. A lot of them were there to advertise their paid apps like navigator, caller ID and family locator.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-16-2016 09:41 PM
    Anything sprint puts on can be uninstalled, don't have to hide it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2016 10:35 PM
    Signal strength and quality in my area of use trump bloatware concerns, Just my two cents.
    08-16-2016 11:19 PM
    Signal strength and quality in my area of use trump bloatware concerns, Just my two cents.
    Lol, that sucks for you. Coverage is pretty much excellent regardless of carrier where I live, let's me switch carrier as I please.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-17-2016 12:33 AM
    sprint comes with a few, sprint tv, nascar, their app store. and sprint zone(bills and usage)

I use package disabler pro (samsung) to remove anything i dont want. like facebook apps that now come preinstalled on phones

wish sprint would offer nfl access like verizon. o well
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-17-2016 05:40 AM
    Yeah good choice, I'm also on T-Mobile. They are the next best to unbranded version.
    This is good to know. I'm on T-Mobile as well, and just ordered one.
    08-17-2016 05:43 AM
    As a previous poster mentioned, Package Disabler Pro is the antidote for Samsung owners that can't/won't root, but want total control over bloatware.

It's a brilliant app that just takes this issue off the table.

Just buy it and be done.
    08-17-2016 06:00 AM
    For me yes that's what it means. Man you're just reminding me how much junk AT&T puts on their phones and on the G3 how you couldn't uninstall ANY of it. You could only disable it... and it was a TON! Yelp!, Yellow Pages?!, AT&T crap like locker and navigation and it goes on and on.

Definitely loved pure Android with my N4 and you have to give kudos to Apple for telling the carriers to bug off from touching their OS. Even iOS 10 beta I'm playing with on my iPad they've added the ability to delete most of the preloaded apps finally.

08-17-2016 07:04 AM
    As a previous poster mentioned, Package Disabler Pro is the antidote for Samsung owners that can't/won't root, but want total control over bloatware.

Just buy it and be done.

I've never used this app but am pretty curious about it for my Note 7. Does it keep bloatware/unwanted system apps disabled even through OTAs?
    08-17-2016 07:06 AM
    sprint comes with a few, sprint tv, nascar, their app store. and sprint zone(bills and usage)

I use package disabler pro (samsung) to remove anything i dont want. like facebook apps that now come preinstalled on phones

wish sprint would offer nfl access like verizon. o well
    We all wish we could get NFL access... But Verizon ensured to pay to be the exclusive partner with the NFL for that
    Delirious D likes this.
    08-17-2016 07:49 AM
    I've never used this app but am pretty curious about it for my Note 7. Does it keep bloatware/unwanted system apps disabled even through OTAs?
    It says to disable the app before ota. But i forget. And honestly have never had an issue. Or had to re-disable something.
    Jona005 and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    08-17-2016 08:44 AM
    On my T-Mobile phone I usually get 5-6 app from T-Mobile. Most of the app u can close but there always 2 that cant be close.
    08-17-2016 08:51 AM

Just buy it and be done.
    If by total control, you mean disable and not remove then, yes.
    08-17-2016 09:17 AM
    Then what's the point of the app? Without it you can already go to the apps and disable... At least I could on my LG G3 on AT&T. I just hated knowing it was still there and unable to delete apps like Amazon, etc.

If by total control, you mean disable and not remove then, yes.
    08-17-2016 09:26 AM
58 123