Is the Note 7 worth upgrading to from the Note 4?

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Note 7 or stick with Note 4?

Is it worth it to upgrade to the note 7 or stay with the note 4? I'm not seeing any real improvements in the note 4 when compared to the note 7.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 7 or stick with Note 4?

I'm not seeing any real improvements in the note 4 when compared to the note 7.

? RAM, Processor, Screen, Camera, Storage, Software, Security, Battery Size, Battery Life, Build Materials, Build Quality, Charging Technology, Better S-Pen... I guess it's literally everything about the Note 7 is better.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just the storage alone for me would be enough to upgrade. But there is one thing that the Note 4 has over the Note 7, that's removable battery. That is important to me. I'm going to wait for the LG V20 and see what it has to offer. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a used Note 7 later and wait to see what the Note 8 has to bring.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I love my Note 4 and will miss things about it, but the Note 7 is a huge upgrade for me. IP68 alone was my #1 requirement on this device and I really didn't think they'd be able to do it because of the S pen silo.

The Note 7 offers everything I want except for an IR blaster and removable battery. The removable battery is almost a deal breaker for me, because I've had two Note 4 batteries crap out on me after about 15 months. I fear the Note 7 battery doing the same thing in mid 2017. The problem for me is that I see all companies heading down this path anyway, and my Note 4 is terrible on battery life as it is. I'd rather a new phone that has good battery life that I can't swap out a new battery, rather than one where I only get <2 hours of SOT before swapping.

Maybe I'll regret it next year, I don't know. But the battery on this Note 4 right now is driving me insane.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure the Note 7 will be nice, but I won't be moving to it. Spec's actually mean nothing to me as long as I can run all the things I need to run (apps), and so far my Note 4 has no problems at all... even on Kitkat. I've seen so many people harp on specs, but what good are they if they're overboard for what you need to run? Is my usage going to change just because I have a more capable CPU or whatevers? I don't think so. When I bought the Note 4, I didn't buy it because of specs... it was because I wanted a new phone and it just turned out to be a flagship phone for the year from Samsung. Truth be told, the Note 4 just happened to look better than the competition... that's why I picked it.

The removable battery is very important to me and always has been. Well... I may have been conditioned to "expect" a removable battery in my phones... they all had it! What happened to Samsung? What happened to all the BS about wall hugging iPhones? Now, even Android users are complacent to being wall huggers, or carrying battery banks... and though they laughed at wall hugging iPhones before, they now have nothing to say, and have even had a 180 degree change in attitude, and now say it's not important. I suspect that if the Note 7 had a removable battery, many people, even those with this 180 degree mindset, would be extremely happy. They may say they don't need it, but if it was there, what would they be saying then? No way to know. A removable battery is not just a convenience for some users, but so many people here on the forums can't even yank their battery to troubleshoot.

For the things the Note 4 was designed to do, like taking notes, running a few useful apps, surfing the internet, texting, email, and most importantly... making phone calls, what else is there that higher specs will make a difference for? Nothing, as far as I'm concerned... for my usage. The Note 7 has nothing to offer me that I don't already have. It does however take something away that's very important to me, something the Note 5 took away too. No new phones for me until I find my Note 4 can't run something I need it to... or I can no longer find spare batteries... or my Note 4 dies!

I really hate having to worry about my charge level! Damn Samsung!

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

I love the Note 4 thus far; however I'm craving the newer Touchwiz and Theme Store. I can live without the software enhancement for probably a year more before I decide to replace the Note.

Maybe they'll throw us a bone somewhere and at least give us the Theme Store. 😂

Maybe...

Posted via the Android Central App

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I love my Note 4 but I am pre-ordering the Note 7 tonight.

I get the non-removable battery issue. For me, this is the worst part of the phone, and I do worry about it. I worry that a warranty swap will get me a replacement that was not fully refurbished. It is an issue.

That said, the additional features of the 7 have swayed me. 64 GB internal storage and SD support of 256 GB is huge. Water resistant for 30 minutes in five feet of water with a water resistant S pen is great. I have also wanted a curve phone for a while. I like the iris scanner, the blue coral color and the HDR video playback.

Besides the removable battery, it is my opinion that the 7 is a far superior phone to the 4.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Besides the removable battery, it is my opinion that the 7 is a far superior phone to the 4.
Spec-wise, I agree. Superior on the other hand, is a matter or opinion, isn't it? For some people, giving up the battery is just not an option right now. I like the looks of the Note 7 though. Very nice phone... even the curved screen doesn't look bad at all.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Spec-wise, I agree. Superior on the other hand, is a matter or opinion, isn't it? For some people, giving up the battery is just not an option right now. I like the looks of the Note 7 though. Very nice phone... even the curved screen doesn't look bad at all.

Absolutely yes, superior is a matter of opinion.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Only way I can see myself getting a new Note is if the bootloader is unlocked. I'm not holding my breath on that so I'll stick with my Note 4 for the time being. The way i see it, there's nothing that a newer unrootable Android device can offer me that will compell me to go without my custom gesture controls and custom sound mods.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

From the reviews so far, I very much doubt that I will take the Note 7. Note 4 still serving my needs admirably. As I already have the Gear VR for the S6 and present s7 range the move to the USB - C is a big no-no at present. Time will tell.... I have two Vodacom (South Africa) contracts that expire in the next few months.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I agree with your opinion. I LOVE the fact that there is finally a water resistant Note! Not into the curve as much but they seem to have toned it WAY back.

But the "besides the removable battery" is the killer for me. First and foremost it's a productivity device.

It's 6:15PM. I'm just now leaving work. I've been using my phone on and off all day. I have not had the opportunity to charge it. I look at my phone. 25%. I have stuff to do tonight. A charger will not be available. (rips off back, swaps battery, boots up phone) All is now well in me-on-call-land.

Same with me. Last night my battery was at 50% when I left work, but I was going to a Minor League baseball All Star game last night, and knew I was going to be putting my phone through heck. In the 2nd or 3rd inning after a home run derby, autographs, and tons of other photos I swap out my battery right there in the stands and have the full 100% instantly. I will miss that.

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

I see nothing I really need from Note 7 despite it looking great but so does my Note 4.

I still don't think it is justified upgrade for me yet, but then I'm looking at downsizing anyway.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

No change for me. The Note 7 is a very nice looking device but my Note 4 works like a champ. Just replaced my original battery and that cured the random restart issues. I have more cables, chargers and accesories for it than Best Buy does.
After almost 2 years I have it looking and running the way I like (I still tweak it now and then just for fun) so changing it is not on the cards.
I also want to see what issues the Note 7 has, as most new devices will have something Samsung missed or didn't get quite right.

The Fatyank

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Definitely going for the 7. The 5 didn't sway me one bit but the 7 has. The hw specs, new S-pen features, software upgrade and the biggy for me....water resistance (phone and pen!). Would I like to have a replaceable battery? Sure. It is no longer a deal killer for me though. The 7 is just too nice in so many aspects. The 4 is a solid phone but it's time to upgrade. I'm also betting that I will get top dollar on Swappa for it due to those wanting the replaceable battery option.

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

I really wish they had kept the IR blaster. How hard could it have been to have kept it? Otherwise the new Note 7 looks great. I'll wait till I can hold one and try it out before thinking about replacing my Note 4

Posted via the Android Central App

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Removable battery is a non issue for me anymore with external battery chargers. Losing the IR blaster is a biggie though but with the Note 7 having things like Samsung Pay, better finger print scanner, better specs and camera are enough for me to upgrade to it once my contract ends next year. The Note 4 has been an awesome phone though.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

First off, I am a Note 4 Fanboy, always will be too. Also, I was saying just a week ago, if no removable battery, I will not get the Note 7.. However, since then, I have had a change of heart, and did my preorder yesterday. :)
My Note 4 is pristine and if not for the little screen burn in, is in like new condition. I carry it in a Tough Armor case, Temp glass, and then a leather pouch case. And the first thing I say on the RARE instances I let somebody hold my phone, I say "don't you drop my phone" with a very mean look too. :D

However, a couple things have happened since I did my preorder. At first, they told me they would give me $150 for my Note 4 to go toward my Note 7. I didn't like that, but reluctantly was going that way, UNTIL, at the final end of the preorder process, they came with this.. Instead of it being $150 for the Note 4, it was $105... Sheesh, I would throw the Note 4 in the trash before I let it go for $105.. But, that was a blessing in disguise. Since I travel on two wheels most of the time, motorcycle, and bicycle, the Note 4 will be kept to do "hard duty". On my motorcycle, I keep it in the tiny trunk on my GSXR1000. It gets a rough ride..Good, the Note 4 can do that, and run/walks.. Whereas, my new Note 7, will be my main phone, and will see no harsh/hard duty for a while. Also, with my Note 4, I carry 3 spare batteries, and on some of my outings, I have used all 3 spares. Nothing like going from 5% to 100% in 12 seconds. So, I am moving to the Note 7, and keeping my Note 4, thanks to Tmobile offering $105 for it..

BTW, if was younger, I too, might play the waiting game, but at 75, I can wait but so long, so I chose not to wait.. If the rare instance the Note 7 doesn't produce in the 20 day return window, it will go back, and I will be looking at the LG V20..

Again, the Note 4 is the living ch-it, maybe the last of the great ones, and maybe the greatest smartphone ever produced.. It has everything.. :)

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Definitely going for the 7. The 5 didn't sway me one bit but the 7 has. The hw specs, new S-pen features, software upgrade and the biggy for me....water resistance (phone and pen!). Would I like to have a replaceable battery? Sure. It is no longer a deal killer for me though. The 7 is just too nice in so many aspects. The 4 is a solid phone but it's time to upgrade. I'm also betting that I will get top dollar on Swappa for it due to those wanting the replaceable battery option.

We in the same boat, but trade value from carriers on the 2 year old Note 4 are an insult. I was offered $105.. No way hoozay.. I am keeping my Note 4, and still getting the Note 7..The Note 4 is the king ch-it of smartphones, bar none.

Most likely, you, like me, have had the Note 4 for 2 years.. I passed on the Note 5, they couldn't give me a Note 5 for free.. The Note 7, a different story. Yup, it hurts to give up the removable battery. But, going to see how it goes with the Note 7..