08-18-2016 03:18 AM
95 1234
tools
    Also look at the physical size of the sensor. Then realize the optics you need to attach to it to actually take pictures.
    Again, you're proving you don't have a solid understanding of cameras. That's not meant as an insult. It's just that cameras are far more complex than most people realize.
    Yeah, I'd love a Hasselblad sensor on my phone. But then I'd have a giant camera with some phone functionality built in lol.
    In the case of the Note 7 - to keep the pixel size what it is but increase the resolution the device would need to be thicker to accommodate the optics. How much thicker? I'm not sure, but enough that Samsung didn't want to do it.
    No it would not "need to be thicker", it's called "miniaturization" and is a common theme in advancing technology - digital optics or otherwise.
    It would be more accurate if I said - developments have not advanced sufficient to maintain the pixel count along with the pixel quality improvements - in short, they had to compromise due to current limitations. Yes the result is still a better camera in the Note 7, than the Note 4 - but the point still stands - they made a trade off of pixels to gain in other areas.
    Overall they advanced, but it is still a trade off.
    08-05-2016 12:27 PM
    but the point still stands - they made a trade off of pixels to gain in other areas.
    Yes, they made a trade-off. That many of us can agree with.

However, in the process, they made a better overall package. It's a trade-off that works for a lot of us.
    d-signer likes this.
    08-05-2016 12:33 PM
    No it would not "need to be thicker", it's called "miniaturization" and is a common theme in advancing technology - digital optics or otherwise.
    It would be more accurate if I said - developments have not advanced sufficient to maintain the pixel count along with the pixel quality improvements - in short, they had to compromise due to current limitations. Yes the result is still a better camera in the Note 7, than the Note 4 - but the point still stands - they made a trade off of pixels to gain in other areas.
    Yes, it would absolutely need to be thicker because of physics. We have yet to figure out a way to beat that.

And no, they didn't make trade-offs. They improved picture quality across the board. Not to mention focus speed and capture speed which are frankly ridiculously fast on the S7 and presumably Note 7 since they are said to be identical.

IIRC the Note 4 has a 16:9 aspect ratio sensor, where the Note 7 has a 4:3. So in reality you are not losing ANY resolution. Just chop of the 2MP on each side off the Note 4 sensor to get the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Note 7. Done.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-05-2016 12:35 PM
    Sorry I mispoke earlier, the correlation between IQ and MP is actually .085, not .21.

Here's the data with phones ranked in order; you'll notice that the MP column is colored in a way that appears random, because the correlation of .085 means that there is absolutely no connection between MP and IQ.

08-05-2016 01:03 PM
    they made a trade off of pixels to gain in other areas.
    Yes, they made a trade off... to gain but it isn't as much as you think. The newer 12MP sensor actually has a higher vertical resolution than the sensor in the Note 4, it is just that it is a 4:3 sensor and not a 16:9 sensor... so the Note 4 has two 2MP bands on the sides of the frame. Once you account for the difference in focal length between the two sensors, the 12MP has ever so slightly higher resolving ability.

Here is a graphic that illustrates this very clearly (thanks to Phonearena.com)

Is the Note 7 worth upgrading to from the Note 4?-iphone-6s-vs-galaxy-s6-camera-ratios-visualized.jpg

(The iPhone has the same resolution and aspect ratio as the one on the S7 and Note7... and the S6 shares its sensor with the Note 4 and 5 for that matter)

Fact of the matter is that any difference in picture quality between the Note 4 and Note 7 will not be related in any appreciable way to the number of pixels either phone has because outside of the aspect ratio change, they are virually identical.
    Aquila and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    08-05-2016 01:05 PM
    After going to BestBuy today to check out the Note 7 and comparing it to S7 edge, I definitely will upgrade to the Note 7 from Note 4. Many people say Note 7 is the same as S7 edge. Well hardware specs it is, but the device feels WAY different to the S7 edge. It is physically better than the S7 edge. Compared to the Note 4, the Note 7 is just a beautiful device. The only thing I am losing from Note 4 is the replaceable battery. I seldomly use IR blaster so it does not matter to me.
    08-05-2016 01:58 PM
    Moderator Note

Debate and disagreement are fine; please try to avoid insulting others and trolling. If you see a problem with a post, please hit the report button.
    Rowlette likes this.
    08-05-2016 02:06 PM
    Yeah, they would need a bigger sensor for a 16MP sensor with a 1.4-micron pixel size...

One bigger than a 1/2-inch sensor.

Unless you want a pretty big camera hump, I don't think that's practical
    Based on your 2 excellent posts above you seem well versed on what's going on with these cameras. I've looked at the premium camera applications but it seems many of the manual functions are not supported on the Note 4, particularly shutter priority and also I wouldn't mind having RAW capability. Am I missing something ?

Since posting this I noticed a bunch of people who seem to know what gives with these cameras. Is there anyone at all who might be able to shed some light on this.

Posted Via My Note 4 With Armor Coated Bullet Proof Otter Box
    08-05-2016 06:31 PM
    Based on your 2 excellent posts above you seem well versed on what's going on with these cameras. I've looked at the premium camera applications but it seems many of the manual functions are not supported on the Note 4, particularly shutter priority and also I wouldn't mind having RAW capability. Am I missing something ?

Since posting this I noticed a bunch of people who seem to know what gives with these cameras. Is there anyone at all who might be able to shed some light on this.

For Samsung, RAW is supported on the Note 5, S6 Edge+, S7, S7 Edge and presumably on the Note 7. The LG G4, G5 and V10, along iwth Moto X Style, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P and Xperia line also support RAW. I'm not sure if the HTC 10 does or not. Basically we're looking for devices that are on Lollipop or higher and have the Camera2 API utilized within their ROM.
    08-05-2016 06:52 PM

Like Aquila said, it's up to the OEM to implement Camera2 API functionality into their devices. On the LG G3, for example, despite being on Marshmallow, the camera app does not utilize any Camera2 API features, and neither do third-party apps like Manual Camera.
    08-05-2016 11:00 PM
    08-06-2016 08:06 AM
    Thanks D14H4RD and Aquila. It's as I've read before. I just wasn't sure if there was an app or some way that might enable more features on the Note 4 camera. IMO, this is a major drawback on the Note 4. I guess I wasn't missing anything.

D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-06-2016 08:40 AM
    Thanks D14H4RD and Aquila. It's as I've read before. I just wasn't sure if there was an app or some way that might enable more features on the Note 4 camera. IMO, this is a major drawback on the Note 4. I guess I wasn't missing anything.

Well, unless you really need those manual controls, the camera on the Note 4 is still a good shooter, even in this day and age.

However, if you are considering an upgrade, and don't really care for removable batteries, the Note7 is a pretty good upgrade.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-06-2016 09:31 AM
    Yes, they made a trade-off. That many of us can agree with.

However, in the process, they made a better overall package. It's a trade-off that works for a lot of us.
    You can also scale down the screen resolution of the note 7.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-06-2016 09:50 PM
    Well, unless you really need those manual controls, the camera on the Note 4 is still a good shooter, even in this day and age.

However, if you are considering an upgrade, and don't really care for removable batteries, the Note7 is a pretty good upgrade.
    I'll manage to live with the Note 4 about a year longer I think. I'll certainly be and have been able make do with the camera as is. Still though, a few added features would be nifty as I'm not always lugging around my SLR.

D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-06-2016 09:52 PM
    You can also scale down the screen resolution of the note 7.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Doesn't really affect the resolution of the camera itself (probably just the viewfinder and gallery), but it's a nifty feature, especially for performance and power-saving.
    08-06-2016 10:08 PM
    I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the Note 7 being a worthwhile upgrade from the Note 4.

I still use my Note 4 from T-Mobile, but I'll be done with the EIP payments in December, so that could be a good time for me to get the Note 7. I am really interested in it, but the price is the only downside in my mind. The price really is the only thing that might make me consider waiting a while before upgrading.

What do people think of the Note 7 when comparing it with the Note 4?
    My Note 4 still works well for me (not sluggish, the battery life is sufficient for me), but I really am interested in the Note 7. The new design looks very attractive and of course it would be nice to get a spec bump.
    08-16-2016 05:32 PM
    I did it. Camera was a driver for me.
    08-16-2016 05:45 PM
    Personally I think it is a fantastic upgrade. But that's me. I had the Note 4 and while it was fantastic as well the 7 has many many upgrades that make it worth it alone.
    Jude526 likes this.
    08-16-2016 05:46 PM
    In a word yes. I'm upgrading from a Note 5.
    Jude526 likes this.
    08-16-2016 05:47 PM
    The Note 7 is definitely a worthy upgrade. IMO, Samsung phones took a huge performance hike starting with the S7, in terms of battery life and overall smoothness of the OS. Since you're so close to the end of your EIP, I would pay it off and either sell it or keep it as a backup. What do you owe, about $100?
    Jude526 likes this.
    08-16-2016 05:51 PM
    It's up to you to decide what is of value to you of course. For me, I would but each person has to judge what value it provide. Note 7 improvements over the Note 4 are:
    - 64GB base storage
    - IP68 Water Resistance
    - Way better and faster Camera. Better FFC as well, wide angle and low-light. Better camera software, fast launcher (double-tap home button is great).
    - Bigger Battery
    - Much better fingerprint scanner --> Samsung Pay
    - Faster Processor, faster GPU
    - More RAM
    - Improved display in every area
    - Built in Wireless charging and fast wireless charging *
    - Awesome new power-saving modes with customizable Display resolutions (can take it down to 1080 or 720p, can lower CPU usage, etc)
    - Always on Display with 3rd Party notifications
    - Improved S-Pen goodness (Improved screen-off memos, Glance PiP, auto-GIFs, etc)
    - Dual auto-brightness sensors
    - Iris Scanner (if you care, I don't)
    - USB-C
    - Gorilla Glass 5
    - MIMO 4 x 4 potentially
    - Secure Folders

And as a bonus:
    - Freebies at purchase, like a 256gb sd card or Gear Fit 2

* Edit: Added Fast wireless charging

Also, A/C just did an article on it . And there is another post about it here:
    Jude526 likes this.
    08-16-2016 06:03 PM
    I think that you missed fast wireless charging. The Note 4 could do standard wireless charging with the optional wireless charging back
    dsignori and Jude526 like this.
    08-16-2016 06:26 PM
    I think that you missed fast wireless charging. The Note 4 could do standard wireless charging with the optional wireless charging back
    Thanks! Now added.
    08-16-2016 06:29 PM
    I have a note edge and I'm eager to get my n7
    08-16-2016 06:44 PM
95 1234