Is the Note 7 worth upgrading to from the Note 4?

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 or stick with Note 4?

Right now I'm still happy with my Note 4 despite the fact that with the upgrade to Marshmallow 6.0 it now reboots,on a regular basis, when I install an SD card. I'm going to try and hold out until the Nougat upgrade comes out and see if that corrects the SD card problem and improves the overall function of the Note 4 before I make a decision to upgrade to the Note 7, or not.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

It was a very tough choice for me. Water resistance is TEMPTING!!! Very, very, very TEMPTING...

But in the end.... not enough - for me. My USB port is slightly damaged by walking around playing Ingress with an external battery charger attached. It still works fine, but I have to be careful with it.

But it was really, really close... Especially because I could probably just get an external wireless charger and somehow use that.
Oh yes, Ingress. The sole reason why i own 4 external battery chargers.

I don't know what the mah is but the Note 7 has an external battery case that charges the phone wirelessly so it might be an option.

I totally forgot about the water proof of the Note 7. Thanks for that reminder, another reason for me to upgrade!

blujay40

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I bought the Note 4 for function over flash, and although I agree that there are some compelling new features with the Note 7, the amount of pluses just don't overwhelm the minuses for me to spend over 800.00 on the 7. Water resistance, camera and HDX video are not enough for me to put up with a curved screen, a glass back that I am just going to cover up anyway, and I can still go from a dead battery to 100 percent faster than the 7 can, and by quite a bit. My credit union also doesn't support Samsung Pay so in my mind, I would just be paying for a whole lot of technology that I have absolutely NO use for. My Note 4 will be around for yet another year.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

I have no plan to upgrade to the 7 or was it supposed to be 6????. My next move will be clean Google phone, I am tired of all the bloatware and rooting. Since I have a Pixel C it plain Google or nothing.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

? RAM, Processor, Screen, Camera, Storage, Software, Security, Battery Size, Battery Life, Build Materials, Build Quality, Charging Technology, Better S-Pen... I guess it's literally everything about the Note 7 is better.

Lol...
1 more gig of ram, two years later
Screen is same specs and the edge is considered a fragile gimmick by many
Camera is better in lowlight, note 4 is higher megapixel
Storage is usually moot with an sd card
Security? The stupid iris scanner that requires pressing the finger print scanner to activate?
Battery may be better but a removable battery goes back to 100 with less gear to carry than battery pack
Charging, see above
Build materials, you love fragile glitzy glass? Note 4 is a tough beast, I'll take that any day like most rational consumers.
Build quality? See above.
Better spen, never had a problem with my current one...

Real arguments...
MST, gawddamm I want MST!

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

What's the point in arguing over whether the Note 7 is "better" than the 4? If people love what they saw in the unveiling, great. If people still love that the 4 is capable device, great. In the end, they're both Samsung devices, both top quality tech.

Note 4 910C 6.0.1 | Good Lock UI | Android Central App

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

Exactly. They're all great Samsung devices.

I hate how the edge is reference as a gimmick. It's not - it's a design choice. How do people expect to have an edge which is barely millimeters wide to have a proper use?

Samsung has gone with a very small edge on the new note as it's a thing that really stands out from the rest of other phones. Androids about being different not the same. IOS caters for more of the same.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Samsung has gone with a very small edge on the new note as it's a thing that really stands out from the rest of other phones. Androids about being different not the same. IOS caters for more of the same.

Does this mean that the "edge" notifications are not available on the Note7 AOD?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Lol...
1 more gig of ram, two years later
Screen is same specs and the edge is considered a fragile gimmick by many
Camera is better in lowlight, note 4 is higher megapixel
Storage is usually moot with an sd card
Security? The stupid iris scanner that requires pressing the finger print scanner to activate?
Battery may be better but a removable battery goes back to 100 with less gear to carry than battery pack
Charging, see above
Build materials, you love fragile glitzy glass? Note 4 is a tough beast, I'll take that any day like most rational consumers.
Build quality? See above.
Better spen, never had a problem with my current one...

Real arguments...
MST, gawddamm I want MST!

Android doesn't use RAM like Windows, it doesn't require 16GB in 2016.
You skipped processor, assuming we're conceding that the SD820 is better than 32 Bit 2014 processors.
The screen is MUCH better, more energy efficient, better color accuracy, much brighter. The 1440p isn't the "spec" of the screen, that's just the resolution. Everything else about it matters more.
The camera is better at everything. It's the best camera available on a phone, while the Note 4 is more in like with 2015 phones (makes sense being released at the end of 2014). MP are somewhat irrelevant.
Internal storage is the only type that matters in the storage category. 64 is more than 32 and it's faster in the Note 7. They both have SD cards, however the Note 4 can't handle SD cards properly, so in this area too, the Note 5 is more stable, faster, more secure.
Security - better software, better fingerprint sensor
Battery is larger, battery life is better
Charging is faster, lower heat, USB C is better than micro USB, etc.
Build materials - Gorilla Glass 5 is better than Gorilla Glass 4.
Build quality - GG5 + IP68 = more likely to survive falls and nature
Better S-Pen - "never had a problem with the current one" could be said about literally anything. My 2002 motorcycle still runs great - that doesn't mean the 2017's aren't better. In the Note 7, the s-pen is objectively better.

Actually, in every one of these categories, based on things that can be measured, the Note 7 is better in literally every category than the Note 4. So your "real arguments" are a list of you stating, "I like this and I like that", along with several statements that show you don't understand the hardware aspect of the mobile phone spec races.

While you are entitled to prefer whatever you want, I hope you'll understand that your preferences do not change the objective facts about the devices. So it's completely normal for you to like something that's inferior because it's a betting fitting product for your personal needs, but that doesn't have any bearing on which one is actually the better performer in any or all of the above categories.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

While you are entitled to prefer whatever you want, I hope you'll understand that your preferences do not change the objective facts about the devices. So it's completely normal for you to like something that's inferior because it's a betting fitting product for your personal needs, but that doesn't have any bearing on which one is actually the better performer in any or all of the above categories.

Inferior in who's eyes? So in your world something new is always better? If a product is completing someone personal needs is not "Inferior" but functional and saving a boat load of money. Next year then your Note be inferior to something else. :Spin: :smile2:
c8f844ea29d20f9d736c41a203a99bb0.gif

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Inferior in who's eyes? So in your world something new is always better? If a product is completing someone personal needs is not "Inferior" but functional and saving a boat load of money. Next year then your Note be inferior to something else. :Spin: :smile2: //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160805/c8f844ea29d20f9d736c41a203a99bb0.gif

I'm using inferior in the objective sense here. I totally get that the value proposition may not be valid for all consumers, but pretending that something isn't better just because you either A don't like it as much or B can't justify the spend for it is just that - pretending. It is factually better, but not worth the money to that individual consumer.

The list of criteria I put early in this thread are things that can be measured as being objectively better or worse and I avoided adding anything that can only be determined as a matter of preference. So while a person could state that they would rather have less storage than more storage, a person cannot state that 64 is a smaller number than 32 without being either incorrect or lying.

In this case, the Note 7 is undeniably a better phone, in terms of it's components and execution on certain factors, than the Note 4 (and Note 5, and Note 3, etc). But it may not be a better fit for the personal needs of each person and each person needs to evaluate the benefits and costs for their own scenario. That's a question of value though, not performance.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

To clarify, I'm using this definition (which I thought was universal): An objective perspective is one that is not influenced by emotions, opinions, or personal feelings - it is a perspective based in fact, in things quantifiable and measurable. A subjective perspective is one open to greater interpretation based on personal feeling, emotion, aesthetics, etc.

So objectively, the Note 7 is better in the following ways: RAM, Processor, Screen, Camera, Storage, Software, Security, Battery Size, Battery Life, Build Materials, Build Quality, Charging Technology, Better S-Pen. That is to say that every one of those items is measurably better.

Subjectively, the Note 4 may be better FOR YOU if you prefer things that it has that the Note 7 doesn't or if you prefer things that they do differently or if the Note 4 is good enough, and you don't need the improvements that the Note 7 offers. Or if you view some of the improvements as actually degrading the experience; those are subjective statements.

d-signer

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

The front camera is an upgrade from 3.7MP to 5MP on the Note 7, but the rear camera (the most important I think) is a downgrade from 16MP on the Note 4, to 12MP on the Note 7. That's a 25% reduction for a "better" phone?

No, thanks.
Plus the Note 4 is more flexible as it can charge from 0% to 100% in less than 10 seconds by changing the battery, and can be rooted if desired.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

a thing aimed at or sought; a goal.

"the system has achieved its objective"

synonyms:aim,*intention,*purpose,*target,*goal,*intent,*object,*end;*

idea,*point,*design,*plan,*ambition,*aspiration,*desire,hope

"you can't achieve your objectives unless people understand them"

The problem is Objective is we all have a bias and that bias is portrayed in one writing, speaking etc. We are all subjective even when ones point of view might be side by side comparison. If a person uses a hand-held phone for making calls then an old flip phone makes his or her objectives. So if a Note 4 preforms to your needs then so be it but if a person feels a Note 7 will fill a personally/ professional/ phycological necessity then I say it the right objective.
Just playing with words.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

a thing aimed at or sought; a goal.

"the system has achieved its objective"

synonyms:aim,*intention,*purpose,*target,*goal,*intent,*object,*end;*

idea,*point,*design,*plan,*ambition,*aspiration,*desire,hope

"you can't achieve your objectives unless people understand them"

The problem is Objective is we all have a bias and that bias is portrayed in one writing, speaking etc. We are all subjective even when ones point of view might be side by side comparison. If a person uses a hand-held phone for making calls then an old flip phone makes his or her objectives. So if a Note 4 preforms to your needs then so be it but if a person feels a Note 7 will fill a personally/ professional/ phycological necessity then I say it the right objective.
Just playing with words.

You are using the term objective as in "an objective", or a goal. That's a noun. That's not the definition when used as an adjective. As an adjective it has synonyms, impartial, unbiased, unprejudiced, etc. 1 is an odd number is an objective statement. 2 is an even number is an objective statement. I like even numbers more than odd numbers is a subjective statement.

So in terms of this conversation, the adjective objective means things that can be measured as better or worse than other things. So the RAM, Camera, SoC, Display, Storage, etc, etc. are objectively better. The battery is objectively larger. The battery is objectively not removable and some people subjectively prefer a removable battery to a non-removable battery.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The front camera is an upgrade from 3.7MP to 5MP on the Note 7, but the rear camera (the most important I think) is a downgrade from 16MP on the Note 4, to 12MP on the Note 7. That's a 25% reduction for a "better" phone?

No, thanks.
Plus the Note 4 is more flexible as it can charge from 0% to 100% in less than 10 seconds by changing the battery, and can be rooted if desired.

I don't think you understand cameras. More megapixels is not universally better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

No, thanks.

The MP is not the defining feature of quality. The QUALITY is the defining feature of quality. The Note 7 takes better pictures than the Note 4, despite the smaller number of megapixels.

MrMELTDOWN

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

No, thanks.

Reducing MP does not in and of itself reduce image quality. In this case it actually improves the IQ. Cramming less pixels on to a tiny sensor can enhance the ability of to sensors to gather more light and / or reduce noise. Even with comparing SLR's there are other more important features to consider than the number of pixels.

Posted Via My Note 4 With Armor Coated Bullet Proof Otter Box

d-signer

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

Point taken. Someone else mentioned this to me a short while ago.
Although... quality of the pixel is important - increasing the amount towards being comparable with film (20MP+) is still desired. ;)