Are there any good 3rd party IR blasters for the note 7

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded this app I found in the play store on my note 5. It was called "Create an IR blaster from scratch". I installed it and it installed not only the app but the hardware needed too. The IR hole at the top was really tiny after the install and is really subtle. Now I'm able to control all my media devices. It's awesome!

droidtgray

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
An ir blaster you can leave pointed at your TV controlled by your Android phone. I like it. Find one and I'll buy it.

Posted via the Android Central App

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is the one thing I will miss too. I have seen several that plug into the headphone jack but I am not sure if they will work or not.

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Samsung told loyal Note users what they thought of them with the elimination of the ir blaster, mhl capability and irreplaceable batteries. With the advent of the big screen iPhone the only distinguishing features are the Android OS and S pen. Screw 'em.

x10guy

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
I can't comment on the Note 7 specifically, but I bought one of those headphone jack IR blasters on Amazon for my S7 Edge. I'mean thinking that it might be similar to the Note 7. It was a bit of a pain trying to get it to work (mainly from a lack of documentation) but it works decently. And the App (Zaza Remote) will flip 180 degrees to make the orientation right. Definitely not as elegant as my old Note 4 but at least I got my IR functionality back.

jackash0912

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I can't comment on the Note 7 specifically, but I bought one of those headphone jack IR blasters on Amazon for my S7 Edge. I'mean thinking that it might be similar to the Note 7. It was a bit of a pain trying to get it to work (mainly from a lack of documentation) but it works decently. And the App (Zaza Remote) will flip 180 degrees to make the orientation right. Definitely not as elegant as my old Note 4 but at least I got my IR functionality back.

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

x10guy

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Do you have a link to the one you bought?
https://www.amazon.com/Telecontrol-Infrared-Wireless-Smartphone-Conditioner/dp/B01IP57356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472536609&sr=8-1&keywords=baseus+infrared
I bought this one mainly because it comes with a handy keychain holder when I don't need to use it. But in reality, the IR port is so small that it can really be left on the phone. Just make sure you turn it off otherwise no sound will come out of your speakers and phone. It did take me a bit of time to finally figure it out. Some things that probably save you a ton of time:
1. Make sure it is inserted in the right orientation. There is a little dot on the unit that will help. A quarter turn will turn it off and on. (I used another smartphone camera to see what orientation worked best - most cameras will pick up infrared light)
2. The only program that I've found so far that will work with it is ZaZa universal remote on Google play. It's definitely not the best remote App out there but it works. The biggest thing is going into the advanced settings and making sure the ZaZa remote is set to 100% volume. Otherwise the remote will only work within 2 inches of your TV...

Other than that, it takes a bit of getting used to how it sets up each remote. Some aren't perfect. (The Vizio code has the volume and channel buttons mixed up) But again it works.

The range is definitely not as good as a dedicated remote and not even my old Note 4. But I get decent results from around 7-8 feet which is good enough for most things.

Hope this helps

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use my gear 2.The ir blaster cannot control any exotic devices nor any but most common tv settings but it is good in a pinch. Pick up a used one on Amazon or the Bay. Some even claim to be "new" but I doubt it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I found out last weekend the DirecTV app can see my receivers when I am on WiFi and I can control them with that. I have used it a few times when the remote was across the room and I was being lazy lol ^_^.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the #1 reason I'm turning my N3 into my media controller once I get the N7 in hand...

I turned my Galaxy mega 6.1 into a media controller and my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet into an all in one media center to stream to my TV and stereo and also control every TV in my house. I've used my Galaxy s3 and note 10.1 also as home security cameras. Old Galaxy phones and tablets have the most usable secondary life after being a daily driver phone IMO.

x10guy

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Did it work out for you?

I keep on using mine in unexpected places. Just went to a meeting where they were trying to turn on an speaker system that was mounted high up on the wall, but the batteries exploded inside the remote. Plugged in my headphone IR jack, found the device in the APP, and boom back in business.

Amatyi1

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
This is the #1 reason I'm turning my N3 into my media controller once I get the N7 in hand...
I did the same thing when I got my note 5. I finished paying off my note 3 and just kept it for a universal remote. I miss that feature. What the hell was samsung thinking. Now I have my note 7, 5, 3 and 2 (nope gave that one to my daughter) and only one is a remote.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay