How long to wait for Unlocked US version of the Note 7?

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been debating whether to get a carrier version of the Note 7 (AT&T in my case) or wait for an unlocked US version. I have always bought a carrier phone. But, I am tired of buying carrier phones with all of the non-removable bloatware and slow updates. I know about disabling apps (when able to anyway!) and being able to hide them in the app drawer. I also don't like how carrier versions of phones sometimes have features removed/hidden/disabled. These are my primary reasons for wanting to get an unlocked phone as I most likely won't be changing carriers. So I am debating as to whether or not it is worth it to wait for an unlocked US version. But I guess a lot will depend on how long the wait is... Does anyone have an idea of how long after a release date that unlocked/unbranded US version of phones from Samsung become available?

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As Lobwedgephil pointed out, this is an unlocked international version. I would like a US unlocked phone. This one doesn't even have a warranty. I wouldn't buy a new phone without a warranty - especially a $900 one...

WHOOPS!!! I just double checked the price on that one and it's $999.99 and no warranty??? No way!

You can buy the international unlocked one from b&h. Comes with 1 year b&h warranty

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUacUvbUpU5337757

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^I have bought several electronic items and accessories from B&H Photo and have never had any problems. They are an excellent retailer.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
But, I am tired of buying carrier phones with all of the non-removable bloatware and slow updates.

I get mine tomorrow... The tech I was talking to said there is a BIG update in the pipeline that will need to be done when you start up...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As you can tell from the next poster talking about what I said in post 4, it wasn't just a quote. Not a big deal, just wondering why it was deleted.

Ah, you posted within the quote, making it look like just a quote. Anyway I fixed it for you

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can't you just order direct from Samsung now? In Canada you can order online direct or go to a Samsung store.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There doesn't appear to be any big reason to get an unlocked (other than resale is easier) vs a carrier though does it? My understanding is once you put your SIM in the bloat is downloaded?
I believe usa versions have bloat pre installed

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
If it's anything like the unlocked US version of the S7 and S7 Edge, don't waste your time. Mine never received an update, wouldn't do wi-fi calling (Verizon) and had several other issues. It was then that I realized carrier bloat is not that big a deal for me.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the unlocked US version of the S7 and S7 Edge, don't waste your time. Mine never received an update, wouldn't do wi-fi calling (Verizon) and had several other issues. It was then that I realized carrier bloat is not that big a deal for me.

yikes! that sounds really bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37