08-24-2016 10:48 AM
35 12
tools
    I have been debating whether to get a carrier version of the Note 7 (AT&T in my case) or wait for an unlocked US version. I have always bought a carrier phone. But, I am tired of buying carrier phones with all of the non-removable bloatware and slow updates. I know about disabling apps (when able to anyway!) and being able to hide them in the app drawer. I also don't like how carrier versions of phones sometimes have features removed/hidden/disabled. These are my primary reasons for wanting to get an unlocked phone as I most likely won't be changing carriers. So I am debating as to whether or not it is worth it to wait for an unlocked US version. But I guess a lot will depend on how long the wait is... Does anyone have an idea of how long after a release date that unlocked/unbranded US version of phones from Samsung become available?
    08-17-2016 11:41 AM
    4-6 months if they offer it.
    08-17-2016 11:45 AM
    Let me just place this right here:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JMLVEJ8...cUvbUpU5336148

Hint: August 31st.
    08-17-2016 11:48 AM
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JMLVEJ8...cUvbUpU5336205

That appears to be the unlocked international version.
    08-17-2016 12:02 PM
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JMLVEJ8...cUvbUpU5336511

As Lobwedgephil pointed out, this is an unlocked international version. I would like a US unlocked phone. This one doesn't even have a warranty. I wouldn't buy a new phone without a warranty - especially a $900 one...

WHOOPS!!! I just double checked the price on that one and it's $999.99 and no warranty??? No way!
    08-17-2016 01:02 PM
    As Lobwedgephil pointed out, this is an unlocked international version. I would like a US unlocked phone. This one doesn't even have a warranty. I wouldn't buy a new phone without a warranty - especially a $900 one...

WHOOPS!!! I just double checked the price on that one and it's $999.99 and no warranty??? No way!
    You can buy the international unlocked one from b&h. Comes with 1 year b&h warranty

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...cUvbUpU5337757
    08-17-2016 05:31 PM
    ^I have bought several electronic items and accessories from B&H Photo and have never had any problems. They are an excellent retailer.
    08-17-2016 05:48 PM
    Is there a reason my post was deleted?
    08-17-2016 07:20 PM
    Is there a reason my post was deleted?
    It was deleted because you didn't post anything... It was just a quote.
    08-17-2016 08:06 PM
    But, I am tired of buying carrier phones with all of the non-removable bloatware and slow updates.
    I get mine tomorrow... The tech I was talking to said there is a BIG update in the pipeline that will need to be done when you start up...
    08-17-2016 08:11 PM
    It was deleted because you didn't post anything... It was just a quote.
    As you can tell from the next poster talking about what I said in post 4, it wasn't just a quote. Not a big deal, just wondering why it was deleted.
    08-17-2016 08:20 PM
    As you can tell from the next poster talking about what I said in post 4, it wasn't just a quote. Not a big deal, just wondering why it was deleted.
    Ah, you posted within the quote, making it look like just a quote. Anyway I fixed it for you
    Lobwedgephil likes this.
    08-17-2016 08:42 PM
    Can't you just order direct from Samsung now? In Canada you can order online direct or go to a Samsung store.
    cynth.hgn likes this.
    08-17-2016 10:20 PM
    Can't you just order direct from Samsung now? In Canada you can order online direct or go to a Samsung store.
    Only carrier versions currently.
    08-18-2016 12:46 PM
    Only carrier versions currently.
    There doesn't appear to be any big reason to get an unlocked (other than resale is easier) vs a carrier though does it? My understanding is once you put your SIM in the bloat is downloaded?
    08-18-2016 01:01 PM
    There doesn't appear to be any big reason to get an unlocked (other than resale is easier) vs a carrier though does it? My understanding is once you put your SIM in the bloat is downloaded?
    I believe usa versions have bloat pre installed
    08-18-2016 01:34 PM
    I believe usa versions have bloat pre installed
    Even if they are unlocked direct from Samsung? How would Samsung know which carrier you were going to use?
    08-18-2016 01:36 PM
    Even if they are unlocked direct from Samsung? How would Samsung know which carrier you were going to use?
    Samsung doesn't currently sell the usa unlocked model of the Note 7
    08-18-2016 02:29 PM
    If it's anything like the unlocked US version of the S7 and S7 Edge, don't waste your time. Mine never received an update, wouldn't do wi-fi calling (Verizon) and had several other issues. It was then that I realized carrier bloat is not that big a deal for me.
    08-18-2016 03:30 PM
    If it's anything like the unlocked US version of the S7 and S7 Edge, don't waste your time. Mine never received an update, wouldn't do wi-fi calling (Verizon) and had several other issues. It was then that I realized carrier bloat is not that big a deal for me.
    yikes! that sounds really bad.
    08-18-2016 03:35 PM
    Now that I have the AT&T Note 7 in my hand, I am even more ready for the Unlocked version of the Note 7. I have the S7 Edge Unlocked and am ready to return the AT&T Note and wait it out for the Unlocked version, or go to the UK and get the Exynos version.
    bhatech likes this.
    08-18-2016 03:35 PM
    Now that I have the AT&T Note 7 in my hand, I am even more ready for the Unlocked version of the Note 7. I have the S7 Edge Unlocked and am ready to return the AT&T Note and wait it out for the Unlocked version, or go to the UK and get the Exynos version.
    Why other than to get the Exynos version?
    08-18-2016 03:37 PM
    Not even for the Exynos, but it is the fastest way to get away from a carrier-messed-up phone. Lack of CarrierIQ, lack of bloatware (even though I can disable it all), lack of changes to software update servers. I am running this phone on more than just AT&T, so being able to not update it unless i have an AT&T SIM in it is crippling. Unless the unlocked version shows up in the US soon, I'll get the international one on my next trip overseas.
    08-18-2016 03:41 PM
    Not even for the Exynos, but it is the fastest way to get away from a carrier-messed-up phone. Lack of CarrierIQ, lack of bloatware (even though I can disable it all), lack of changes to software update servers. I am running this phone on more than just AT&T, so being able to not update it unless i have an AT&T SIM in it is crippling. Unless the unlocked version shows up in the US soon, I'll get the international one on my next trip overseas.
    I was under the impression that the bloatware would downloads once you put a carrier SIM in the unlocked version. Further, based on the above poster's comments (and elsewhere) I thought Samsung was slower to update their unlocked devices compared to the carriers locked versions. Are these two statements incorrect based on your experience?
    08-18-2016 03:59 PM
    I was under the impression that the bloatware would downloads once you put a carrier SIM in the unlocked version. Further, based on the above poster's comments (and elsewhere) I thought Samsung was slower to update their unlocked devices compared to the carriers locked versions. Are these two statements incorrect based on your experience?
    I booted with no SIM and it had the AT&T bloatware in it already. In Canada the method you describe is the way it works where the SIM dictates the bloatware.

Unlocked S7 in US still does have only May updates yes. Not sure why but yeah that's the way it is... :/
    08-18-2016 04:22 PM
35 12