09-16-2016 10:58 PM
277 1234 ...
tools
    Interesting to see a test where different levels of hardness are compared instead of someone using only one or two different items. Anyone know if he's said what each level of hardness would relate to? Keys are usually made out of particular metals, so the question is would they be at the three level, or below. Some of the things like the ease with which he scratched the finger print reader are concerning (wonder what level of hardness that knife ranks at). I wonder how that compares to other finger print readers beyond the ones he named. I also wonder if such weak areas could be considered manufacturer defects (when compared to other objects made out of the same materials there could have been flaws in the heat treating process that make them weaker than they should be), and be in the realm of a recall notice down the road.
    08-18-2016 07:28 AM
    Is there a concensus on a good tempered glass screen protector yet? I saw one review so far and the adhesive was only on the edges and a rainbow effect on the screen and was not securely flush on the curved edges.
    Which screen protector was that, so we all know to stay clear of that particular model?
    08-18-2016 07:33 AM
    I'll always use cases and screen protectors. It's an $850+ phone. It seems careless not to keep it protected.
    dcooper830 likes this.
    08-18-2016 07:42 AM
    Hands down, ID Shield. Nearly as smooth as the glass and very clear, been using them for a while.
    08-18-2016 07:49 AM
    So is Corning just lying? Page 2 of their GG5 datasheet shows similar hardness to GG4: https://www.corning.com/content/dam/...PI%20Sheet.pdf
    Depends on how thick the glass is. If it's less than .4mm then it's the same or worse.
    08-18-2016 07:54 AM
    Wait...what kind of glass does my Note 4 have?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-18-2016 07:56 AM
    I'll always use cases and screen protectors. It's an $850+ phone. It seems careless not to keep it protected.
    Call me careless then, because I've never used screen protectors. They suck and screw with the display...especially now with VR.
    Also minor scratches are a non issue anyway, because you can only see them with the screen off or static dark images.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-18-2016 07:57 AM
    Wait...what kind of glass does my Note 4 have?

Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-18-2016 07:57 AM
    While I admit that This concerns me, keep in mind that there are at least two other scratch test videos that I've seen, neither of which shows that the phone is easy at all to scratch.

08-18-2016 07:59 AM
    They need to rename it Baby Glass 5.
    08-18-2016 08:02 AM
    I guess the thing that worries me most, even if I am always careful to protect my phone from my keys or other hard objects, what about the S Pen? Will it be enough to scratch it

gogoplata1980 likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:14 AM
    I guess it's back to another crappy film protector with Tempered Glass near impossible to work on these curved screens.

It's a sad day when new Gorilla Glass 5 is crappier then past versions.
    Gsxr151 likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:19 AM
    I guess the thing that worries me most, even if I am always careful to protect my phone from my keys or other hard objects, what about the S Pen? Will it be enough to scratch it

Um, no. Let's not get into silly territory here :-)
    08-18-2016 08:22 AM
    I doubt it... That would be hilarious if Samsung didn't make sure their pens won't scratch up the screen.

I wonder if maybe the glass has been weakened because of the step to take to form the curved glass and lost some of it's tempering/strength? In another video someone did a 3 foot drop and it cracked first time hit it just right at the corner of the glass where it curves.

So a screen protector and a bumper will be needed.

08-18-2016 08:24 AM

That is something that concerned me as well consider I have quite a bit of force when I'm writing (my pencil writing was always very dark, and left deep indentations on paper when I wrote in school). As far as the s pen tip goes its supposed to be pretty soft material, but if the edge of the other end of the pen were to scrape across the screen who knows...
    08-18-2016 08:28 AM
    Hands down, ID Shield. Nearly as smooth as the glass and very clear, been using them for a while.
    Do you mean IQ Shield? Is this a wet installation?
    08-18-2016 08:30 AM
    An interesting video. I always watch his videos. He does a great job. I was surprised with the new gorilla glass 5 though. I would have thought it tougher than the previous. I always use the Zagg invisible shields and on my S7 edge it works amazing.

Kinds stinks for those who don't like them though. Hopefully it won't be an issue.
    08-18-2016 08:36 AM
    I commented on his site if he'd do the same test on the camera lens that he did on front. I'd wish to find out it's sapphire over gg5.

As much as scratching the screen would bother me, the killer would be if the camera lens gets scratched to the point of degrading pics... I just came to the realization I can live with scratches if had to but if it can't take good pics anymore then it's got to go... gotta be able to take kid pics

An interesting video. I always watch his videos. He does a great job. I was surprised with the new gorilla glass 5 though. I would have thought it tougher than the previous. I always use the Zagg invisible shields and on my S7 edge it works amazing.

Kinds stinks for those who don't like them though. Hopefully it won't be an issue.
    08-18-2016 08:41 AM
    I'll take my chances. Haven't used a screen protector in years and not about to start now.
    Ditto. Im not going to take an exacto knife to my screen any time soon. Im mostly careful with my phones anyway. Also never keep my phones more than a year until the next flagship comes out.
    anon(782252) likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:43 AM
    Ditto. Im not going to take an exacto knife to my screen any time soon. Im mostly careful with my phones anyway. Also never keep my phones more than a year until the next flagship comes out.
    Yep, exactly. Plus I'm getting $50 deductible insurance for $8/month so if it got too bad, I'd just have it replaced.
    08-18-2016 08:45 AM
    Yep, exactly. Plus I'm getting $50 deductible insurance for $8/month so if it got too bad, I'd just have it replaced.
    Where are you getting your insurance from?
    08-18-2016 08:50 AM
    Will they replace it for scratches on the screen alone?

I have declined insurance on my past few phones. I have only used it a few times in the past and I figure if make it through the manufacturers 1 year warranty I would be able to buy a replacement online for the price I would have paid in monthly fees plus the deductible.
    08-18-2016 08:55 AM
    Shouldn't a wallet case protect it from most scratchable materials?

08-18-2016 08:59 AM
    Makes you wonder if the front glass was compromised in order to get the 4048 pressure sensitivity.
    08-18-2016 09:05 AM
    08-18-2016 09:20 AM
277 1234 ...