09-16-2016 10:58 PM
277 ... 45678 ...
tools
    How do we buy the Samsung screen protector for Note 7. Don't see a way to on their website
    Don't worry about it, you'll never get it. It'll probabaly be for sale when the S8 is out.
    08-18-2016 03:58 PM
    You realize that iPhones don't use sapphire glass on their display right?
    Correct, they use the same cat friendly gorilla glass. However, you will NEVER be able to scratch an iPhone's camera lens or home button. Samsung is just being flat out cheap on those two things!
    CrudeOne likes this.
    08-18-2016 04:01 PM
    I guess so. No mistake yet since my ... Note 3 ? That was like 20 phones ago ^_^.
    Buy me a lottery ticket?

08-18-2016 04:02 PM
    I guess so. No mistake yet since my ... Note 3 ? That was like 20 phones ago ^_^.
    Sorry, but I am not going to believe that in the past few years you haven't dropped your phone or otherwise put your phone in a situation where soft glass could be scratched.
    08-18-2016 04:11 PM
    Sorry, but I am not going to believe that in the past few years you haven't dropped your phone or otherwise put your phone in a situation where soft glass could be scratched.
    Well you're welcome to believe what you want. I can't make you believe what you don't want to believe . I never said I didn't drop it. I dropped my S7 Edge one time (only due to a fall) but I put it in a case. I thought we were talking about scratching the screen by throwing it into somewhere it shouldn't be?
    anon(782252) likes this.
    08-18-2016 04:22 PM
    Scratch resistance really ended with GG3. Corning has moved towards more soft material that's harder to shatter, beginning with GG4. It scratches so easy, but is more shatter-proof. GG5 seems to be easy to scratch as well, but even stronger for shatter resistance.

So, guess we get one or the other and Corning feels shatter resistance is more important than scratch resistance. Oh well, guess GG6 or something may have them both.
    08-18-2016 04:31 PM
    Damn it .... Never a fan of screen protector but after seeing this have to put a screen protector on a phone after 2 or 3 years...
    Might have to cover up the back with dbrand skin as well
    Think I am going to cover mine until I see how the nudists here do . . .

I hope I can take the protector off, but better safe than sorry until we get a good sample.
    MRS DIVA likes this.
    08-18-2016 04:36 PM
    Well you're welcome to believe what you want. I can't make you believe what you don't want to believe . I never said I didn't drop it. I dropped my S7 Edge one time (only due to a fall) but I put it in a case. I thought we were talking about scratching the screen by throwing it into somewhere it shouldn't be?
    You can drop the phone onto uneven terrain, such as gravel.
    08-18-2016 04:38 PM
    You can drop the phone onto uneven terrain, such as gravel.
    Very well could have but .. never have. The drop I did was on the driveway.

Either way we can agree to disagree. My comment to you was strictly putting my phone INTO something that I knew would cause that damage. I would never ever do that.
    08-18-2016 04:51 PM
    08-18-2016 04:56 PM
    Lol @ if you don't have a screen protector your will see scratches soon after your purchase. Umm I don't plan on take a saw type scratching tool to my phone.
    08-18-2016 05:13 PM
    Correct, they use the same cat friendly gorilla glass. However, you will NEVER be able to scratch an iPhone's camera lens or home button. Samsung is just being flat out cheap on those two things!
    Whatever they use on their displays is much less prone to scratching. A $800- $900 device should NOT be this prone to scratching.

Like another poster alluded to I'd expect this out of some budget or mid range spec device but not a flagship.
    08-18-2016 05:15 PM
    Whatever they use on their displays is much less prone to scratching. A $800- $900 device should NOT be this prone to scratching.

Like another poster alluded to I'd expect this out of some budget or mid range spec device but not a flagship.
    OMG okay you're right you win...and guess what IDK. Life happens. Speak with your wallet if you don't like it don't buy it.
    Samsung is a POS company for selling the low quality phone for >$800 that has less protection than a phone I can pick up for <$500 shame on them and me for being an ***** for falling for it.
    CrudeOne likes this.
    08-18-2016 05:26 PM

How prone to scratching? Whose phone has accidentally been scratched? Or are you saying that it should be impossible to intentionally scratch a $900 phone?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-18-2016 05:32 PM
    I will keep the plastic. On the phone until I can get a screen protector on it. Sat after work. I have the s View Samsung case on order. Have always used the Sview on all my notes

CrisG likes this.
    08-18-2016 06:07 PM

But Apple uses the exact same glass. They use GORILLA GLASS!

Apple is notorious for not giving out specs and changing the name to something they can copyright. Ion X glass comes to mind. It's used on the Apple Watch and it's.... wait for it.... gorilla glass also.

Are you really going to make me cite this?

I'm typing all this on a 6S Plus right now. This is not some fanboy thing with me. Those are the facts.

ETA: I do agree that it shouldn't scratch. It's an expensive phone. Then again, the phone accessory business is a multi-billion dollar business.

It's on the owner to protect their $1k purchase. Would you buy a Ferrari without insurance (if that were legal)? No, you wouldn't. Treat the phone as what it is, an expensive device that has super cheap screen protectors and cases. Also, buy insurance.
    08-18-2016 06:27 PM
    I was seriously thinking of picking this up tomorrow. One thing that was slightly holding me back was the fact that glass screen protectors on curved displays seem to never be in stock or fit just right. Even the cheap 3 pack plastic protectors don't fit the curve right. The only option would be to use the original Zagg style wet application. Then using the s pen on that would be nearly impossible. I may have to pass. Clearly GG5 added more plastic to the new mixture to reduce screen shatters, but it obviously made it too soft. I'm betting once this ***scratch-gate*** becomes viral GG will quietly tweak their product.
    08-18-2016 07:12 PM
    Can someone smarter than me translate this: http://www.lehigh.edu/imi/teched/Gla...tingsGlass.pdf

I wonder if an optically acceptable coating could be PVD applied to this softer GG?

Maybe a sapphire coating or different kind of aluminum oxide?

That right folks, I went there. Transparent aluminum
    08-18-2016 07:39 PM
    We live in a time of information overload and it scares the crap out of a lot of people.
    Stop worrying about 1 video and buy the phone if you want it.
    08-18-2016 07:43 PM
    How prone to scratching? Whose phone has accidentally been scratched? Or are you saying that it should be impossible to intentionally scratch a $900 phone?

I definitely dont think the phone should be impervious to scratches but a premium phone of this nature should not scratch so easily.

Again I'm careful with all my devices and haven't had one scratched or damaged in any way in years. This is a minor issue that won't make me send back this phone back or stop me from buying future ones from Samsung because they quite simply innovate and make quality mobile devices.

Its definitely something that should be fixed in the future though.
    08-18-2016 07:43 PM
    But Apple uses the exact same glass. They use GORILLA GLASS!

Apple is notorious for not giving out specs and changing the name to something they can copyright. Ion X glass comes to mind. It's used on the Apple Watch and it's.... wait for it.... gorilla glass also.

Are you really going to make me cite this?

I'm typing all this on a 6S Plus right now. This is not some fanboy thing with me. Those are the facts.

ETA: I do agree that it shouldn't scratch. It's an expensive phone. Then again, the phone accessory business is a multi-billion dollar business.

It's on the owner to protect their $1k purchase. Would you buy a Ferrari without insurance (if that were legal)? No, you wouldn't. Treat the phone as what it is, an expensive device that has super cheap screen protectors and cases. Also, buy insurance.
    Man I dont care for Apple's business strategy.

They make quality products a little to bare bones and locked down for my liking, but the GG on the iPhone does not scratch as easily and I find that very strange.

I own the S7 Edge and the iPhone 6 Plus. I just want something a little more resistant to scratches. I don't care about shatter resistant glass.

I generally slap an Otterbox or one of those Tech 21 cases on all my phones. I would have bought a screen protector to, but from all the reviews I've read here screen protectors do not play well with these edge phones.

I probably take care of my phone as good or better than most. It lives in a case and I never put it anywhere near keys and loose change inside of pockets.
    08-18-2016 07:53 PM
    The only option would be to use the original Zagg style wet application. Then using the s pen on that would be nearly impossible. I may have to pass.
    What makes you think the s pen will not work if you applied a wet application film screen protector? We know the s pen works under water, so the wet application shouldn't be an issue. We know from past topics about the s pen that you don't actually need it to touch the screen to work. (It works when the pen tip gets close to the screen hence the Air features).

Can someone smarter than me translate this: http://www.lehigh.edu/imi/teched/Gla...tingsGlass.pdf

I wonder if an optically acceptable coating could be PVD applied to this softer GG?

Maybe a sapphire coating or different kind of aluminum oxide?

That right folks, I went there. Transparent aluminum
    Don't you have your Note 7 yet? (You could hover over the words and translate it).

Are you aware that high amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients? Using anything with aluminum in contact with your skin puts you at risk to absorb it and have it travel up to your brain (it is a low density metal, so it will travel up your body). Many Alzheimer's patients got the aluminum in their body from rubbing antiperspirants (which contain aluminum) on their skin and pours. They may have stopped sweat, but they gained Alzheimer's.
    Taking the discussion back to the Note 7 : I advise against spraying or in any other way coating your phone with aluminum.
    08-18-2016 08:14 PM
    But the 6/6 Plus are running on GG 3 and the S7/S7 Edge are on GG 4.

We have almost established the fact that they are becoming more shatter resistant, with each generation, due to softening.

This means that the 6 Plus you had, and I once owned, would be more scratch resistant that anything in the past 2 years. Ask note 4 owners how their screens are. I'm sure they are just as satisfied as you are because they are using the same glass.
    08-18-2016 08:15 PM
    Damn, I need anti anxiety meds reading through this thread.
    08-18-2016 08:19 PM
    What makes you think the s pen will not work if you applied a wet application film screen protector? We know the s pen works under water, so the wet application shouldn't be an issue. We know from past topics about the s pen that you don't actually need it to touch the screen to work. (It works when the pen tip gets close to the screen hence the Air features).

Don't you have your Note 7 yet? (You could hover over the words and translate it).

Are you aware that high amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients? Using anything with aluminum in contact with your skin puts you at risk to absorb it and have it travel up to your brain (it is a low density metal, so it will travel up your body). Many Alzheimer's patients got the aluminum in their body from rubbing antiperspirants (which contain aluminum) on their skin and pours. They may have stopped sweat, but they gained Alzheimer's.
    Taking the discussion back to the Note 7 : I advise against spraying or in any other way coating your phone with aluminum.
    While the aluminum content is high in some Alzheimer's patient's brains, it has not been proven causative. I have an open mind though and don't use anti-perspirant with aluminum.

Anyway, tons of things are made of aluminum. The frame of the phone is aluminum. All aluminum has a coating of oxide. That is aluminum's "rust". I'd be much more worried about cell radio radiation than the frame or any PVD coating.

You also know that chromium leeches from stainless steel cookware?

Anyway, I just wonder if a PVD coating would be possible for this application. A small layer of sapphire, adhered to the top of GG, would just crack. Making a brittle material thinner would be the exact opposite of what you want. A PVD coating would be much more ideal, if it's even possible.

I could research this but... tv
    SteelGator likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:22 PM
277 ... 45678 ...