09-16-2016 10:58 PM
277 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Wet application screen protectors are like rubber.Good luck trying to slide an s pen over that.
    08-18-2016 08:23 PM
    Damn, I need anti anxiety meds reading through this thread.
    No, hang on TJ, I think I'm onto something. I just need a chemical engineer here 🤔😆
    08-18-2016 08:24 PM
    I'm not sold on that video. I attached the specs of gg4 and gg5. Even the vickers numbers are proving its harder than gg4.

I run my phones naked. I keep them in my rear pocket, levi jeans. I sit on it when o Work and drive. If its not in my pocket, it's bouncing around my center console with pens, keys, change, and a pistol. No scratches.

Now, I've had my note 7 since late this morning, it's been on the center console of my truck for a 90 minute drive. It's been in my pocket. I know it hasn't been a long time yet, but so far, it's scratch free. It's an abused phone so far

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57b6626b...5_E%280%29.pdf
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57b6629a...%20Sheet-1.pdf
    Paul Paradis and anon(782252) like this.
    08-18-2016 08:43 PM
    Something that may have been considered already is the heating process.

We know that this glass experiences a lot of heat to be produced... it is glass after all.

However, Samsung and Corning had to create a special process in order to form the edges on these screens.

I just wonder if there is a certain failure rate.

Is the glass made in flat sheets, cooled, then reheated and formed or are they formed in one step?

Just a thought.

Also, while I don't necessarily question that person's review, it may be a faulty piece of glass. There may be nothing wrong with most phones.

Give it a few weeks for all reviews and accidents to happen. We will know then.
    08-18-2016 09:19 PM
    What a waste of a good phone. Clearly a phone is going to burn, and if you put your device through that much (razor blade, burning) you need more than a naked phone lol.
    08-18-2016 09:30 PM
    I was seriously thinking of picking this up tomorrow. One thing that was slightly holding me back was the fact that glass screen protectors on curved displays seem to never be in stock or fit just right. Even the cheap 3 pack plastic protectors don't fit the curve right. The only option would be to use the original Zagg style wet application. Then using the s pen on that would be nearly impossible. I may have to pass. Clearly GG5 added more plastic to the new mixture to reduce screen shatters, but it obviously made it too soft. I'm betting once this ***scratch-gate*** becomes viral GG will quietly tweak their product.
    Actually Zagg has a dry install one that fits perfect. In using it now and used it on my s7 edge. Works great.
    08-18-2016 09:43 PM
    Made it past the first day ... No scratches so far, I don't need a screen protector.
    bhatech likes this.
    08-18-2016 09:58 PM
    Actually Zagg has a dry install one that fits perfect. In using it now and used it on my s7 edge. Works great.
    Nothing available for Note 7 from Zagg yet. May take some time. Besides anything but glass doesn't feel right on a Note. Been there and tried that.
    08-18-2016 10:59 PM
    I will keep the plastic. On the phone until I can get a screen protector on it. Sat after work. I have the s View Samsung case on order. Have always used the Sview on all my notes

Posted via the Android Central App
    The plastic on mine didn't completely cover the screen. A decent silver of the left edge was uncovered. I'm not sure if this was just mine or not but it seems like it was on correctly because it lined up with the home button.
    08-18-2016 11:28 PM
    I bought the Iqshield and it will cover the whole screen. It is self healing from scratches also.
    08-18-2016 11:40 PM
    Nothing available for Note 7 from Zagg yet. May take some time. Besides anything but glass doesn't feel right on a Note. Been there and tried that.
    I have a Zagg plastic protector on mine right now. Fits pretty good
    08-18-2016 11:50 PM
    I just don't get it how that this guy, whose similar video about the Nexus 6p was discredited for shoddy methods, is suddenly the only expert who matters regarding the Note 7.

verks, cwbcpa, queenren and 2 others like this.
    08-18-2016 11:58 PM
    I just don't get it how that this guy, whose similar video about the Nexus 6p was discredited for shoddy methods, is suddenly the only expert who matters regarding the Note 7.

Right?
    08-19-2016 12:47 AM

That video wasn't discredited.
    08-19-2016 02:13 AM
    I had an S7 Edge for exactly two weeks. During that time I got a MAJOR scratch on the home button. Mind you, I am VERY gentle with my cell phones and very good them (I don't throw them in pockets, in my purse, etc). I was very disappointed and wound up returning it right at the two week mark. I have an iphone that I have been using since October and have one minor scratch on the display that you really have to search for. I have my N7 waiting at home for me right now and plan to baby it like none other. I really hate the idea of spending just under $900 for a phone and have it all scratched up within the first few weeks......here's to hoping!
    I don't believe the 'home' button is gorilla glass covered anyway.
    08-19-2016 02:31 AM
    That video wasn't discredited.
    Yes it was. There were no issues with the 6P once people actually started using it.
    08-19-2016 03:24 AM
    One thing that stinks about the s view case is that you won't be able to use the always on display feature.
    08-19-2016 03:46 AM
    Is it even metal? From the scratch video he scratched that thing so easily that I thought it was chromed plastic.
    The black phone with the black button looks more glossy and the coating application is probably different for the black so I wonder if it will handle wear better.

I don't believe the 'home' button is gorilla glass covered anyway.
    08-19-2016 06:44 AM
    Verizon had them in stock. Their just not in zaggs website.
    08-19-2016 07:12 AM
    I'm really concerned about this as well, I placed a prime over for a film protector which should arrive today while I wait for the tempered glass protector that I want. I usaully use screen protectors and cases so as long as the Gpel tempered glass and Gpel case work together as their amazon ad claims (it says their built to work together) I should be fine.
    08-19-2016 08:24 AM
    Well, I slapped on a relatively cheap plastic protector on my Note.

I planned to do so before this appeared because I want my phone to stay in shape and be (mostly) scratch-free as I'm going to be using it for 2 years.

I'm going to replace it with a good glass screen protector once they're out.
    08-19-2016 08:54 AM
    Wet application screen protectors are like rubber.Good luck trying to slide an s pen over that.
    Not sure what garbage product you have used before. I used a IQ Shield (wet) on my note Edge for 2 years. It's almost a smooth as glass and ultra clear. I am an Edge OG, since launch. Most are you are just now having the trouble of finding a glass protector for an edge screen. I fought that battle way before most people; for 2 years in fact. I found IQ Shield and was amazed. Let's keep the 10-for-$3 China garbage and 90's screen protectors out of the conversation.
    08-19-2016 09:06 AM
    Good job normal people don't try and scratch the phone then isn't it.

Anything can scratch if you are trying to do it.
    08-19-2016 09:23 AM
    One thing that stinks about the s view case is that you won't be able to use the always on display feature.
    Actually you can.
    08-19-2016 09:24 AM
    Surely there's something wrong with that Youtube video??? The Corning data sheet shows GG5 to be marginally superior to GG4 for scratch resistance. Perhaps the phone tested was an early press evaluation sample and didn't have GG5 at all? I don't know what the reason for the Youtube results, but I am certain Corning won't have got it wrong. This is a commercial organisation selling GG5 in vast quantities and they will have tested it extensively, and not just a quick 30 second scratch with a pick.
    08-19-2016 10:19 AM
277 ... 56789 ...