09-16-2016 10:58 PM
277 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Corning site also mentions performance varies on how the glass is used and shaped mentioning where maximum strength when glass has a "proud" profile to the frame. With the bends on glass, I guess the Note 7 doesn't have a proud profile? Also I bet the glass take more manipulation over standard requiring to heat to mold the shape? I guess that may effect strength.

Surely there's something wrong with that Youtube video??? The Corning data sheet shows GG5 to be marginally superior to GG4 for scratch resistance. Perhaps the phone tested was an early press evaluation sample and didn't have GG5 at all? I don't know what the reason for the Youtube results, but I am certain Corning won't have got it wrong. This is a commercial organisation selling GG5 in vast quantities and they will have tested it extensively, and not just a quick 30 second scratch with a pick.
    08-19-2016 10:35 AM
    I'm mainly waiting for enough users to get these phones in hand to test out and tell us what the best screen protector is out there, glass preferably, that will fit closest to perfect and not have problems with a case. Then I'm all set.

Surely there's something wrong with that Youtube video??? The Corning data sheet shows GG5 to be marginally superior to GG4 for scratch resistance. Perhaps the phone tested was an early press evaluation sample and didn't have GG5 at all? I don't know what the reason for the Youtube results, but I am certain Corning won't have got it wrong. This is a commercial organisation selling GG5 in vast quantities and they will have tested it extensively, and not just a quick 30 second scratch with a pick.
    08-19-2016 10:36 AM
    Corning responds to the GG5 scratch video.

Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video - Android Authority

Pretty much says that Zach (Jerryrigeverything) is to blame. Not a scientific test, blah blah blah. Just seems like they aren't willing to admit, for whatever reason, that GG5 scratches more easily than GG4. They wind up saying it's just material transfer, not scratching we're seeing. That's a new one.

Not a surprise though of course. You're not going to hear Corning come out and say....ya, we screwed up on the scratch resistance....Sorry folks.
    MRS DIVA and Pippinsky like this.
    08-19-2016 10:49 AM
    Are you aware that high amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients? Using anything with aluminum in contact with your skin puts you at risk to absorb it and have it travel up to your brain (it is a low density metal, so it will travel up your body). Many Alzheimer's patients got the aluminum in their body from rubbing antiperspirants (which contain aluminum) on their skin and pours. They may have stopped sweat, but they gained Alzheimer's.
    Correlation does not equal causation. Aluminum has not be thought to be a causitive factor for AD in over a decade.

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
    Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.
    Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association

Sorry, you may have just been joking, but this is a research interest of mine.

Check this out. Certainly you would believe lemons and car crashes to be linked . . .
    Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily-i-2eee97a9acb6558021e2925d9428d026-lemongraph.jpg
    08-19-2016 12:11 PM
    Well, if the screen is so easily damaged, just one step harder than plastic, perhaps it will be easier to polish out superficial scratches using a polish for clear plastics.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-19-2016 12:26 PM
    Polishing fogging car headlights is one thing... polishing a display to be optically clear? ... I think it wouldn't turn out good for most people.

Well, if the screen is so easily damaged, just one step harder than plastic, perhaps it will be easier to polish out superficial scratches using a polish for clear plastics.

08-19-2016 12:36 PM
    I'm a very critical person when it comes to phone quality.. I get a new flagship every 6-8 months.. and I can tell you right now, the Note 7 glass does NOT have an issue with being scratched easily. It actually seems even more durable than my S7 Edge was
    08-19-2016 12:51 PM
    I almost feel glad I got screwed on my preorder. This could be scratch gate. The s pen and curved glass will pose challenges to those wanting to run a case and a screen protector. I think I'll wait and see.
    08-19-2016 01:49 PM
    08-19-2016 01:56 PM
    This doesn't really change anything for me, since where i live has so much sand going around, a screen protector is basically mandatory.
    08-19-2016 02:11 PM
    I almost feel glad I got screwed on my preorder. This could be scratch gate. The s pen and curved glass will pose challenges. I think I'll wait and see.
    There is less of any kind of "gate" here than there was with "bend gate". People like to make something out of nothing. It's just the way people seem to be today. If they can find something to get likes or views or start a controversy they will.
    08-19-2016 02:36 PM
    Not sure what garbage product you have used before. I used a IQ Shield (wet) on my note Edge for 2 years. It's almost a smooth as glass and ultra clear. I am an Edge OG, since launch. Most are you are just now having the trouble of finding a glass protector for an edge screen. I fought that battle way before most people; for 2 years in fact. I found IQ Shield and was amazed. Let's keep the 10-for-$3 China garbage and 90's screen protectors out of the conversation.
    Zagg. Used to be invisible shield.The older ones that were wet installs, were rubbery. Not sure if your'e even familiar with what I am referring too.
    08-19-2016 02:42 PM
    Corning responds to the GG5 scratch video.

Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video - Android Authority

Pretty much says that Zach (Jerryrigeverything) is to blame. Not a scientific test, blah blah blah. Just seems like they aren't willing to admit, for whatever reason, that GG5 scratches more easily than GG4. They wind up saying it's just material transfer, not scratching we're seeing. That's a new one.

Not a surprise though of course. You're not going to hear Corning come out and say....ya, we screwed up on the scratch resistance....Sorry folks.
    You're scratching it wrong.
    markyboy81 and Pippinsky like this.
    08-19-2016 02:56 PM
    I looked at the back of my phone after barely using it and noticed a bunch of scratches. Tmobile is willing to do an exchange. It just sucks because the blue coral is back ordered.
    Attached Thumbnails Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily-3306.jpg  
    08-19-2016 04:20 PM
    Scratched out of the box? Or are you saying with just barely use you phone got scuffed up like that? Where were you carrying it? In a bucket of sand?

I looked at the back of my phone after barely using it and noticed a bunch of scratches. Tmobile is willing to do an exchange. It just sucks because the blue coral is back ordered.
    08-19-2016 04:28 PM
    Scratched out of the box? Or are you saying with just barely use you phone got scuffed up like that? Where were you carrying it? In a bucket of sand?
    I had a Ringke case on it, took it off once and noticed the scratches. I talked to sales rep at Tmobile to see if they could remove it for me and they didn't have anything. They told me the best bet would be to talk to Tmobile Customer care. Tmobile Customer care sent me a shipping label. I go out of my way to baby my devices, so this is very frustrating.
    08-19-2016 04:38 PM
    Care to elaborate what Ringke case it was?
    08-19-2016 05:07 PM
    Care to elaborate what Ringke case it was?
    It was the clear Ringke Fusion case.
    scott5626 likes this.
    08-19-2016 05:15 PM
    I just noticed I to have a few small scratches on mine after removing my spigen thin fit case. Sucks. Well I'm going to return it. I have OCD and keep my phones prestine. Those will drive me nuts.
    scott5626 and Prpolo like this.
    08-19-2016 05:19 PM
    Gorilla Glass 1 was the best. No case or protector and not a single scratch. The phone was a tank.

Attached Thumbnails Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily-224895.jpg  
    08-19-2016 05:24 PM
    Geez, glad they were nice enough to replace it though.
    08-19-2016 05:35 PM
    I just noticed I to have a few small scratches on mine after removing my spigen thin fit case. Sucks. Well I'm going to return it. I have OCD and keep my phones prestine. Those will drive me nuts.
    This is insane. I don't see how so called professional reviews after a week didn't notice this.
    08-19-2016 05:42 PM
    This is insane. I don't see how so called professional reviews after a week didn't notice this.
    That's what im saying. I thought for sure this was not an issue as most things on the internet are blown way out of proportion but now i see it was right. At least for me anyway.
    Pippinsky likes this.
    08-19-2016 05:43 PM
    It's hard to imagine Samsung thought this is a good product to release to the public, but they did.
    08-19-2016 06:01 PM
    I saw Corning responded to this:
    Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video

They essentially stated that what is on the screen with the hardness level 3 is something like residue from the hardness pick since it is a very soft material. I'm not an expert but the way everything was worded makes me more suspicious than if they had just given a more direct answer.
    Pippinsky and shrxwin like this.
    08-19-2016 06:01 PM
277 ... 678910 ...