09-16-2016 10:58 PM
277 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I had a Ringke case on it, took it off once and noticed the scratches. I talked to sales rep at Tmobile to see if they could remove it for me and they didn't have anything. They told me the best bet would be to talk to Tmobile Customer care. Tmobile Customer care sent me a shipping label. I go out of my way to baby my devices, so this is very frustrating.
    I just noticed I to have a few small scratches on mine after removing my spigen thin fit case. Sucks. Well I'm going to return it. I have OCD and keep my phones prestine. Those will drive me nuts.
    Good news! According to people earlier in this thread, this isn't a problem! I'm glad I cancelled my preorder.
    08-19-2016 06:10 PM
    So is Corning just lying? Page 2 of their GG5 datasheet shows similar hardness to GG4: https://www.corning.com/content/dam/...PI%20Sheet.pdf
    Did you pay attention to this foot note in the test sheet?

" * aH parts tested without anti-smudge coating to probe glass response only"

So maybe the scratches we see in the video are not in the actual glass but on the coating?
    Nilo7 likes this.
    08-19-2016 06:30 PM
    Good news! According to people earlier in this thread, this isn't a problem! I'm glad I cancelled my preorder.
    Well I've been using mine since 3:00pm yesterday, naked, and not a single blemish anywhere. Even fell out of my pocket in my car ended up between my seat & seatbelt anchor and not a mark on it.

Dunno what to say.
    Jeff0575 likes this.
    08-19-2016 06:32 PM
    Well I've been using mine since 3:00pm yesterday, naked, and not a single blemish anywhere. Even fell out of my pocket in my car ended up between my seat & seatbelt anchor and not a mark on it.

Dunno what to say.
    That may be true, but if the cases people put their phones in are able to damage the glass in any way, there is a problem. I'm curious if other people will end up with scratches even using a case.
    08-19-2016 06:45 PM
    That may be true, but if the cases people put their phones in are able to damage the glass in any way, there is a problem. I'm curious if other people will end up with scratches even using a case.
    Well remember what the official Samsung S-View cases did you multiple iterations of the S series.. I think it would depend on the case
    08-19-2016 06:49 PM
    Put mine in two Spigen cases, the Samsung S-View and the Samsung LED View case today and it emerged with no scratches on the back - or front - upon removal. So maybe the Ringke case has an issue?
    08-19-2016 06:51 PM
    Either the clean case has sapphire or diamond particles to scratch since gg5 is one level above lastic hardness... or gg5 is really one level under plastic

Put mine in two Spigen cases, the Samsung S-View and the Samsung LED View case today and it emerged with no scratches on the back - or front - upon removal. So maybe the Ringke case has an issue?
    sangs likes this.
    08-19-2016 06:54 PM
    Anyone recommend a good glass screen protector? I used one for my iPhone and didn't even notice it was on. I don't want scratches on this thing. I didn't have a single scratch on my iPhone. Only difference seems to be this rainbow effect on these devices with glass protector. Had one on my Note 5. You could tell it was there.
    kazman12 likes this.
    08-19-2016 07:23 PM
    Well I have a new order set up. Next time I'm just gonna leave the plastic wrap on the back when I put my case on.
    08-19-2016 07:38 PM
    Anyone recommend a good glass screen protector? I used one for my iPhone and didn't even notice it was on. I don't want scratches on this thing. I didn't have a single scratch on my iPhone. Only difference seems to be this rainbow effect on these devices with glass protector. Had one on my Note 5. You could tell it was there.
    Don't think anybody really knows yet. These edge tempered glass protectors have not been great on previous Galaxies. I applied a Zagg HD Dry today and it works perfectly. Not glass, but doesn't need to be if all you're concerned with is scratching.
    scott5626 and ajb1965 like this.
    08-19-2016 07:46 PM
    Don't think anybody really knows yet. These edge tempered glass protectors have not been great on previous Galaxies. I applied a Zagg HD Dry today and it works perfectly. Not glass, but doesn't need to be if all you're concerned with is scratching.
    Would mind posting a pic? I haven't bought the Note yet...but I do have one waiting for me at Sam's Club. I just want to be sure to be able to protect it. How does the zagg and the s-pen do together?
    08-19-2016 08:14 PM
    Do people really put an all glass phone inside the same pockets as their keys still? No matter how good the glass is, that seems like asking for trouble.

God gave you two (sometimes four!) pockets for a reason. Use them wisely.
    Pippinsky and Squeeze Play like this.
    08-19-2016 09:57 PM
    Spigen Neo Hybrid -- that is it. Phone still rockin .
    08-19-2016 10:03 PM
    My note 7 came with a tiny scratch on the bottom left side of the screen and also on the SIM card tray
    08-19-2016 10:29 PM
    Did you pay attention to this foot note in the test sheet?

" * aH parts tested without anti-smudge coating to probe glass response only"

So maybe the scratches we see in the video are not in the actual glass but on the coating?
    Yes, my cousin's Nexus 6P seems to scratch more easily than it's made out to be, and that's with Gorilla Glass 4. I think the oleophobic coating scratches much easier.
    08-19-2016 11:07 PM
    I had a Zagg put on yesterday. Fits pretty good for a plastic one. Probably won't be long before the sides start pulling up, but we will see
    08-20-2016 12:39 AM
    More worrying than the screen scratching is the fingerprint sensor that stops working when scratched.
    08-20-2016 01:07 AM
    Corning responds to the GG5 scratch video.

Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video - Android Authority

Pretty much says that Zach (Jerryrigeverything) is to blame. Not a scientific test, blah blah blah. Just seems like they aren't willing to admit, for whatever reason, that GG5 scratches more easily than GG4. They wind up saying it's just material transfer, not scratching we're seeing. That's a new one.
    Maybe because it doesn't? So far we only have Jerry's video to go off, so much more testing is needed.
    blackhemi4x4 likes this.
    08-20-2016 02:22 AM
    More worrying than the screen scratching is the fingerprint sensor that stops working when scratched.
    you mean when attacked viciously with a razor blade? lol... C'mon man, thats not remotely similar to traditional wear and tear.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    08-20-2016 03:21 AM
    you mean when attacked viciously with a razor blade? lol... C'mon man, thats not remotely similar to traditional wear and tear.
    I think it was hard digging at it with a stanley knife, which is even worse. It might have survived a mere razor blade!
    08-20-2016 03:37 AM
    Would mind posting a pic? I haven't bought the Note yet...but I do have one waiting for me at Sam's Club. I just want to be sure to be able to protect it. How does the zagg and the s-pen do together?
    They work perfectly fine together. Here is the Zagg HD Dry applied with a Spigen Liquid Crystal case.

Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily-img_0001.jpg
    jdfry15, scott5626 and Jeff0575 like this.
    08-20-2016 05:55 AM
    Well I for one make sure to put my phone in an Otterbox when it's time for my daily razor blade rampage. Can't be too careful.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    08-20-2016 05:57 AM
    Day 4. Naked note 7.

Lives in my jean pockets, center console of my truck, my coffee table, which is slate, or my infants hands.

I dont baby it at all. Still no scratches.

The video shows a softer pic being drug across a harder surface.

If not done right, it will leave the softer pic material attached to the glass.

I think we all have ran across scuff marks on tile flooring. Same principle. They dont just wipe off, it takes a bit of work to get them off.
    sangs likes this.
    08-20-2016 08:26 AM
    People have overreacted over one video where he is trying to scratch his phone. How many other videos have come out saying it has scratched their phone? None I've seen.
    blackhemi4x4 and sangs like this.
    08-20-2016 08:50 AM
    People have overreacted over one video where he is trying to scratch his phone. How many other videos have come out saying it has scratched their phone? None I've seen.
    It literally happens with EVERY new phone release. Scratch-gate! Bend-gate! Battery-gate! Camera-gate! Signal-gate! No Headphone Jack-gate! Then it dies down once the Chicken Littles realize the sky isn't falling for 99.9 percent of the purchasing public. It's so ******* ridiculous, but you can just about set your clock to it with every release. Just wait until Sept. when the new iPhone releases. I should start a pool to predict what the first wild overreaction will be.
    thegame161 and chrisforpm like this.
    08-20-2016 09:28 AM
277 ... 7891011 ...