Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Pretty disappointing performance to me. Like others have said, I would much prefer more scratch resistance then drop resistance. I have broken the glass once in my life, scratch way more.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
About 40% of one of mine can be carried in my pocket sometimes, if using a belt loop to hold it up. I personally don't like that fit though, there are better places for my stuff.

Wow....I carry a 23 and never would use a pocket.

JmKc

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I'll take my chances. Haven't used a screen protector in years and not about to start now.

Same here, upsetting news but still hyped to get my Note 7... Guess I'm gonna use my wallet case instead and like NEVER drop my phone lol. Used to have my Note 5, change and keys in the same pocket and never got a scratch, sucks that I have to think about that now.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
My s7 edge has several micro scratches on the screen and there are scuffs/paint peeling on the home button. So a screen protector is my only option right now. What's odd is I care for my devices too, how I get all these micro scratches is beyond me. But GG4 wasn't really anything to write home about in terms of scratch resistance.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I prefer pocket carry cause I have a MK9 Elite that's a good size for it and feel it more discreet when going about town, getting in and out of car without having to take out from back and kid/passengers don't notice and tiny holster compared to large pancake belted to back. But I am considering going with a 3-4 o'clock holster with maybe the new single stack compact Glock or S&W Shield.

Lol was just thinking would be nice if they also made leather or kydex holster for smartphone :p

About 40% of one of mine can be carried in my pocket sometimes, if using a belt loop to hold it up. I personally don't like that fit though, there are better places for my stuff.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh lord... scatch gate. Day before launch, we all need something to panic about.

Do people really think that plastic, yes, I said plastic, credit cards, and s-pens are going to scratch your screens?!?!? Cancelling orders over it?!?! Guess what, every phone scratches and every phone shatters, it is all in the circumstances.

Also there have been several other damage the new device videos, that while less scientific, certainly shows a different result. One guy beats the heck out of it with nearly a whole tool box, and it doesn't show damage at all.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I had horrible scratches on GG4 so I'm not really surprised. Guess I'll weigh the options before I get a protector. Hated it on my S7E

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense that it would, as it's becoming softer in order to be more resistant to shattering. The trade off is extremely hard (won't scratch) and extremely brittle (will shatter if you look at it) vs extremely soft (looking at it will scratch it) and extremely robust (can't be broken even by superman). So if those are two opposite points, Corning just moved further away from hard and brittle which means they moved closer to soft and robust.

Yeah. I suppose it is similar to the tradeoff with the Motorola Shatter Shield tech.

MilitantRabbit

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I never keep anything in the same pocket as my phone if I can help it. If I can't, I position the screen away from the objects. Learned my lesson having the S6 naked with a phone charm in the jack. Scratched it, but no effect on the screen view. Old glass would've been deep.

Besides, I didn't buy this phone to survive a pocket jammed with coins and janitor keyrings. I bought it because my family is cursed to drop phones in the toilet prior to use.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never keep anything in with my phone. My right pocket is strictly the phone.

I'm not worried :).

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh lord... scatch gate. Day before launch, we all need something to panic about.

Do people really think that plastic, yes, I said plastic, credit cards, and s-pens are going to scratch your screens?!?!? Cancelling orders over it?!?! Guess what, every phone scratches and every phone shatters, it is all in the circumstances.

Also there have been several other damage the new device videos, that while less scientific, certainly shows a different result. One guy beats the heck out of it with nearly a whole tool box, and it doesn't show damage at all.
I haven't had scratches on my screen in years. The fact that the Note 7 is far more likely to scratch than the phones I have had in the recent past is disheartening. I keep generally take good care of my phones, but if the phone is that easy to scratch on a screen that is particularly vulnerable due to it's shape, it is a problem.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
How would it compare to Note 3 screen? Mine is naked and no scratches. I use a case so glass screen protector won't work.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh...just keep your phone and if it really starts scrathing that bad and enough people ***** then class action lawsuit and refund.
Corning has fully stated that GG5 has better scratch resistance than GG4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15