Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Oh...just keep your phone and if it really starts scrathing that bad and enough people ***** then class action lawsuit and refund.
Corning has fully stated that GG5 has better scratch resistance than GG4.

On their PDF of GG5, they state "Similar scratch performance to previous Gorilla® Glasses. Clearly outperforms soda-lime glass."

Similar on the bottom of that scale I'm sure.

Also, this is marketing mind fornicating. They know that "visible" scratches can be largely subjective. We all have different eyesight and, in some cases, certain light conditions must be met in order to see scratches.

I'll just say this, I wouldn't want to be in the business of making glass. Unless it's sapphire, it's gonna scratch.

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
While I'm not doubting Jerryrig's video at all... there are other videos out there that show a different result.

Not as controlled as Jerry's test, but at several times in this video... the guy says the front display is perfect, after abuse that would seem to go way past Jerry's level 2 marks. At 2:20 or so...he says there is no permanent scratch on the front...and this is after his drop test from another video, with the same unit. The back did crack on the corner on his first drop though.

I'm torn....I desperately don't want to have to use a screen protector...and never have with any GG device (with not even a micro scratch in 5 years). Covering Sammy's amazing display with anything, is near sacrilege for me ;) I do however always use a case.

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
That kid used a dull butter knife that probably wouldn't cut hot butter. He's a typical YouTube prostitute that just wants "views".

Place no faith in his "tests".

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's the more concerning thing for me over scratches on the screen... in a simple 3 ft drop hit right at the corner cracked the corner of the glass. There goes the waterproofing at that point.

The back did crack on the corner on his first drop though.

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
That kid used a dull butter knife that probably wouldn't cut hot butter. He's a typical YouTube prostitute that just wants "views".

Place no faith in his "tests".

For sure, it's a dull knife....but that is the same unit that took a couple of slams on the ground in his drop test. Front seems fine after. That would definitely go beyond Jerry's level 2. It would seem.

And I'm pretty sure all these YouTubers want views...kinda how it works ;)

That's the more concerning thing for me over scratches on the screen... in a simple 3 ft drop hit right at the corner cracked the corner of the glass. There goes the waterproofing at that point.

That actually doesn't concern me at all. Makes me less nervous, because the shatter resistance is better than GG4 at least. Talking about it spider web cracking across the whole back etc. I always use a case as well.

In the Mr. Mobile review...he says at 2:45, his N7 took several spills from 3-4 feet and the glass was fine...just scuffs on the side it seems.

Bottom line is I think it's going to be a mixed bag of damage resistance. As it usually is of course.

Last edited:

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes it never ceases to amaze.. and puzzle/confuse... me what and why and how they carry in their purses. And she wonders why her phones volume button or something ends up not working on her phones. :confused:

Until the day you put it in your wife's purse not even thinking about it and it scratches.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I never keep anything in with my phone. My right pocket is strictly the phone.

I'm not worried :).
Even something like fingernails has a mohs hardness of 2-2.5. And the mohs hardness 3 pick scratched the screen. Hard to know if a 2.5 would or not, but it isn't far off.

For those like me Gold ring, is also has a mohs hardness of 2.5-3. I guess could remove my gold wedding band, though having a scratched screen is better than having an upset wife...

Even with an empty pocket,I usually put my phone screen inwards but in jeans or something, the metal buttons can scratch the screen.

Hopefully I can find a good tempered glass screen protector...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Even something like fingernails has a mohs hardness of 2-2.5. And the mohs hardness 3 pick scratched the screen. Hard to know if a 2.5 would or not, but it isn't far off.

For those like me Gold ring, is also has a mohs hardness of 2.5-3. I guess could remove my gold wedding band, though having a scratched screen is better than having an upset wife...

Even with an empty pocket,I usually put my phone screen inwards but in jeans or something, the metal buttons can scratch the screen.

Hopefully I can find a good tempered glass screen protector...

Luckily my nails are non existent / really short (bad habits .. still trying to break) and no rings for me.

:D.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Damn it .... Never a fan of screen protector but after seeing this have to put a screen protector on a phone after 2 or 3 years...
Might have to cover up the back with dbrand skin as well

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Because it's a $900 phone the idea of it getting marred up so easily would be a little upsetting.
If it was a $400 phone or less... it wouldn't bother me as much... what would you expect for a $400 phone? ;)

Doesn't concern me. It's a $900 phone. I put a screen protector and a case on it.

PhabPhan

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Damn it .... Never a fan of screen protector but after seeing this have to put a screen protector on a phone after 2 or 3 years...
Might have to cover up the back with dbrand skin as well

Ditto! The screen durability (or lack thereof) is a real bummer. And just for that I ended up buying 2 screensavers after going without one on my Note 4 for the last 2 years. Plus, I already have 2 DBrand skins ordered, and waiting for that shipment. But I know me, and I know I will be buying the next Note phablet next year, so between now and next year, i'll be sure to keep my Note 7 with a screensaver and Dbrand Skin in its wallet case nicely protected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax