Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Whatever they use on their displays is much less prone to scratching. A $800- $900 device should NOT be this prone to scratching.

Like another poster alluded to I'd expect this out of some budget or mid range spec device but not a flagship.

But Apple uses the exact same glass. They use GORILLA GLASS!

Apple is notorious for not giving out specs and changing the name to something they can copyright. Ion X glass comes to mind. It's used on the Apple Watch and it's.... wait for it.... gorilla glass also.

Are you really going to make me cite this?

I'm typing all this on a 6S Plus right now. This is not some fanboy thing with me. Those are the facts.

ETA: I do agree that it shouldn't scratch. It's an expensive phone. Then again, the phone accessory business is a multi-billion dollar business.

It's on the owner to protect their $1k purchase. Would you buy a Ferrari without insurance (if that were legal)? No, you wouldn't. Treat the phone as what it is, an expensive device that has super cheap screen protectors and cases. Also, buy insurance.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was seriously thinking of picking this up tomorrow. One thing that was slightly holding me back was the fact that glass screen protectors on curved displays seem to never be in stock or fit just right. Even the cheap 3 pack plastic protectors don't fit the curve right. The only option would be to use the original Zagg style wet application. Then using the s pen on that would be nearly impossible. I may have to pass. Clearly GG5 added more plastic to the new mixture to reduce screen shatters, but it obviously made it too soft. I'm betting once this ***scratch-gate*** becomes viral GG will quietly tweak their product.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
We live in a time of information overload and it scares the crap out of a lot of people.
Stop worrying about 1 video and buy the phone if you want it.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
How prone to scratching? Whose phone has accidentally been scratched? Or are you saying that it should be impossible to intentionally scratch a $900 phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

I definitely dont think the phone should be impervious to scratches but a premium phone of this nature should not scratch so easily.

Again I'm careful with all my devices and haven't had one scratched or damaged in any way in years. This is a minor issue that won't make me send back this phone back or stop me from buying future ones from Samsung because they quite simply innovate and make quality mobile devices.

Its definitely something that should be fixed in the future though.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
But Apple uses the exact same glass. They use GORILLA GLASS!

Apple is notorious for not giving out specs and changing the name to something they can copyright. Ion X glass comes to mind. It's used on the Apple Watch and it's.... wait for it.... gorilla glass also.

Are you really going to make me cite this?

I'm typing all this on a 6S Plus right now. This is not some fanboy thing with me. Those are the facts.

ETA: I do agree that it shouldn't scratch. It's an expensive phone. Then again, the phone accessory business is a multi-billion dollar business.

It's on the owner to protect their $1k purchase. Would you buy a Ferrari without insurance (if that were legal)? No, you wouldn't. Treat the phone as what it is, an expensive device that has super cheap screen protectors and cases. Also, buy insurance.

Man I dont care for Apple's business strategy.

They make quality products a little to bare bones and locked down for my liking, but the GG on the iPhone does not scratch as easily and I find that very strange.

I own the S7 Edge and the iPhone 6 Plus. I just want something a little more resistant to scratches. I don't care about shatter resistant glass.

I generally slap an Otterbox or one of those Tech 21 cases on all my phones. I would have bought a screen protector to, but from all the reviews I've read here screen protectors do not play well with these edge phones.

I probably take care of my phone as good or better than most. It lives in a case and I never put it anywhere near keys and loose change inside of pockets.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
The only option would be to use the original Zagg style wet application. Then using the s pen on that would be nearly impossible. I may have to pass.

What makes you think the s pen will not work if you applied a wet application film screen protector? We know the s pen works under water, so the wet application shouldn't be an issue. We know from past topics about the s pen that you don't actually need it to touch the screen to work. (It works when the pen tip gets close to the screen hence the Air features).

Can someone smarter than me translate this: http://www.lehigh.edu/imi/teched/GlassProcess/Lectures/Lecture12_PVDCoatingsGlass.pdf

I wonder if an optically acceptable coating could be PVD applied to this softer GG?

Maybe a sapphire coating or different kind of aluminum oxide?

That right folks, I went there. Transparent aluminum :)

Don't you have your Note 7 yet? (You could hover over the words and translate it). ;)

Are you aware that high amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients? Using anything with aluminum in contact with your skin puts you at risk to absorb it and have it travel up to your brain (it is a low density metal, so it will travel up your body). Many Alzheimer's patients got the aluminum in their body from rubbing antiperspirants (which contain aluminum) on their skin and pours. They may have stopped sweat, but they gained Alzheimer's.
Taking the discussion back to the Note 7 : I advise against spraying or in any other way coating your phone with aluminum.

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
But the 6/6 Plus are running on GG 3 and the S7/S7 Edge are on GG 4.

We have almost established the fact that they are becoming more shatter resistant, with each generation, due to softening.

This means that the 6 Plus you had, and I once owned, would be more scratch resistant that anything in the past 2 years. Ask note 4 owners how their screens are. I'm sure they are just as satisfied as you are because they are using the same glass.

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
What makes you think the s pen will not work if you applied a wet application film screen protector? We know the s pen works under water, so the wet application shouldn't be an issue. We know from past topics about the s pen that you don't actually need it to touch the screen to work. (It works when the pen tip gets close to the screen hence the Air features).

Don't you have your Note 7 yet? (You could hover over the words and translate it). ;)

Are you aware that high amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients? Using anything with aluminum in contact with your skin puts you at risk to absorb it and have it travel up to your brain (it is a low density metal, so it will travel up your body). Many Alzheimer's patients got the aluminum in their body from rubbing antiperspirants (which contain aluminum) on their skin and pours. They may have stopped sweat, but they gained Alzheimer's.
Taking the discussion back to the Note 7 : I advise against spraying or in any other way coating your phone with aluminum.

While the aluminum content is high in some Alzheimer's patient's brains, it has not been proven causative. I have an open mind though and don't use anti-perspirant with aluminum.

Anyway, tons of things are made of aluminum. The frame of the phone is aluminum. All aluminum has a coating of oxide. That is aluminum's "rust". I'd be much more worried about cell radio radiation than the frame or any PVD coating.

You also know that chromium leeches from stainless steel cookware?

Anyway, I just wonder if a PVD coating would be possible for this application. A small layer of sapphire, adhered to the top of GG, would just crack. Making a brittle material thinner would be the exact opposite of what you want. A PVD coating would be much more ideal, if it's even possible.

I could research this but... tv :)

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sold on that video. I attached the specs of gg4 and gg5. Even the vickers numbers are proving its harder than gg4.

I run my phones naked. I keep them in my rear pocket, levi jeans. I sit on it when o Work and drive. If its not in my pocket, it's bouncing around my center console with pens, keys, change, and a pistol. No scratches.

Now, I've had my note 7 since late this morning, it's been on the center console of my truck for a 90 minute drive. It's been in my pocket. I know it hasn't been a long time yet, but so far, it's scratch free. It's an abused phone so far

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57b6626b44546/CGG_PI_Sheet_Gorilla Glass 4_090315_E(0).pdf
//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57b6629a9cb8c/Corning Gorilla Glass 5 PI Sheet-1.pdf

ConstantDefector

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Something that may have been considered already is the heating process.

We know that this glass experiences a lot of heat to be produced... it is glass after all.

However, Samsung and Corning had to create a special process in order to form the edges on these screens.

I just wonder if there is a certain failure rate.

Is the glass made in flat sheets, cooled, then reheated and formed or are they formed in one step?

Just a thought.

Also, while I don't necessarily question that person's review, it may be a faulty piece of glass. There may be nothing wrong with most phones.

Give it a few weeks for all reviews and accidents to happen. We will know then.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
What a waste of a good phone. Clearly a phone is going to burn, and if you put your device through that much (razor blade, burning) you need more than a naked phone lol.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I was seriously thinking of picking this up tomorrow. One thing that was slightly holding me back was the fact that glass screen protectors on curved displays seem to never be in stock or fit just right. Even the cheap 3 pack plastic protectors don't fit the curve right. The only option would be to use the original Zagg style wet application. Then using the s pen on that would be nearly impossible. I may have to pass. Clearly GG5 added more plastic to the new mixture to reduce screen shatters, but it obviously made it too soft. I'm betting once this ***scratch-gate*** becomes viral GG will quietly tweak their product.
Actually Zagg has a dry install one that fits perfect. In using it now and used it on my s7 edge. Works great.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually Zagg has a dry install one that fits perfect. In using it now and used it on my s7 edge. Works great.

Nothing available for Note 7 from Zagg yet. May take some time. Besides anything but glass doesn't feel right on a Note. Been there and tried that.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I will keep the plastic. On the phone until I can get a screen protector on it. Sat after work. I have the s View Samsung case on order. Have always used the Sview on all my notes

Posted via the Android Central App
The plastic on mine didn't completely cover the screen. A decent silver of the left edge was uncovered. I'm not sure if this was just mine or not but it seems like it was on correctly because it lined up with the home button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36