Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Polishing fogging car headlights is one thing... polishing a display to be optically clear? ... I think it wouldn't turn out good for most people.

Well, if the screen is so easily damaged, just one step harder than plastic, perhaps it will be easier to polish out superficial scratches using a polish for clear plastics.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a very critical person when it comes to phone quality.. I get a new flagship every 6-8 months.. and I can tell you right now, the Note 7 glass does NOT have an issue with being scratched easily. It actually seems even more durable than my S7 Edge was

Pippinsky

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I almost feel glad I got screwed on my preorder. This could be scratch gate. The s pen and curved glass will pose challenges to those wanting to run a case and a screen protector. I think I'll wait and see.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I almost feel glad I got screwed on my preorder. This could be scratch gate. The s pen and curved glass will pose challenges. I think I'll wait and see.

There is less of any kind of "gate" here than there was with "bend gate". People like to make something out of nothing. It's just the way people seem to be today. If they can find something to get likes or views or start a controversy they will.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what garbage product you have used before. I used a IQ Shield (wet) on my note Edge for 2 years. It's almost a smooth as glass and ultra clear. I am an Edge OG, since launch. Most are you are just now having the trouble of finding a glass protector for an edge screen. I fought that battle way before most people; for 2 years in fact. I found IQ Shield and was amazed. Let's keep the 10-for-$3 China garbage and 90's screen protectors out of the conversation.

Zagg. Used to be invisible shield.The older ones that were wet installs, were rubbery. Not sure if your'e even familiar with what I am referring too.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Corning responds to the GG5 scratch video.

Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video - Android Authority

Pretty much says that Zach (Jerryrigeverything) is to blame. Not a scientific test, blah blah blah. Just seems like they aren't willing to admit, for whatever reason, that GG5 scratches more easily than GG4. They wind up saying it's just material transfer, not scratching we're seeing. That's a new one.

Not a surprise though of course. You're not going to hear Corning come out and say....ya, we screwed up on the scratch resistance....Sorry folks.

You're scratching it wrong.

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the back of my phone after barely using it and noticed a bunch of scratches. Tmobile is willing to do an exchange. It just sucks because the blue coral is back ordered.

Attachments

• 3306.jpg
    3306.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 77

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Scratched out of the box? Or are you saying with just barely use you phone got scuffed up like that? Where were you carrying it? In a bucket of sand?

I looked at the back of my phone after barely using it and noticed a bunch of scratches. Tmobile is willing to do an exchange. It just sucks because the blue coral is back ordered.

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Scratched out of the box? Or are you saying with just barely use you phone got scuffed up like that? Where were you carrying it? In a bucket of sand?

I had a Ringke case on it, took it off once and noticed the scratches. I talked to sales rep at Tmobile to see if they could remove it for me and they didn't have anything. They told me the best bet would be to talk to Tmobile Customer care. Tmobile Customer care sent me a shipping label. I go out of my way to baby my devices, so this is very frustrating.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed I to have a few small scratches on mine after removing my spigen thin fit case. Sucks. Well I'm going to return it. I have OCD and keep my phones prestine. Those will drive me nuts.

Mkj3322

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 1 was the best. No case or protector and not a single scratch. The phone was a tank.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 224895.jpg
    224895.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 117

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed I to have a few small scratches on mine after removing my spigen thin fit case. Sucks. Well I'm going to return it. I have OCD and keep my phones prestine. Those will drive me nuts.

This is insane. I don't see how so called professional reviews after a week didn't notice this.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
This is insane. I don't see how so called professional reviews after a week didn't notice this.
That's what im saying. I thought for sure this was not an issue as most things on the internet are blown way out of proportion but now i see it was right. At least for me anyway.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance