Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a Ringke case on it, took it off once and noticed the scratches. I talked to sales rep at Tmobile to see if they could remove it for me and they didn't have anything. They told me the best bet would be to talk to Tmobile Customer care. Tmobile Customer care sent me a shipping label. I go out of my way to baby my devices, so this is very frustrating.

I just noticed I to have a few small scratches on mine after removing my spigen thin fit case. Sucks. Well I'm going to return it. I have OCD and keep my phones prestine. Those will drive me nuts.

Good news! According to people earlier in this thread, this isn't a problem! I'm glad I cancelled my preorder.

mikkelrev69

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Good news! According to people earlier in this thread, this isn't a problem! I'm glad I cancelled my preorder.

Well I've been using mine since 3:00pm yesterday, naked, and not a single blemish anywhere. Even fell out of my pocket in my car ended up between my seat & seatbelt anchor and not a mark on it.

Dunno what to say.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I've been using mine since 3:00pm yesterday, naked, and not a single blemish anywhere. Even fell out of my pocket in my car ended up between my seat & seatbelt anchor and not a mark on it.

Dunno what to say.
That may be true, but if the cases people put their phones in are able to damage the glass in any way, there is a problem. I'm curious if other people will end up with scratches even using a case.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
That may be true, but if the cases people put their phones in are able to damage the glass in any way, there is a problem. I'm curious if other people will end up with scratches even using a case.
Well remember what the official Samsung S-View cases did you multiple iterations of the S series.. I think it would depend on the case

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Put mine in two Spigen cases, the Samsung S-View and the Samsung LED View case today and it emerged with no scratches on the back - or front - upon removal. So maybe the Ringke case has an issue?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Either the clean case has sapphire or diamond particles to scratch since gg5 is one level above lastic hardness... or gg5 is really one level under plastic :confused:

Put mine in two Spigen cases, the Samsung S-View and the Samsung LED View case today and it emerged with no scratches on the back - or front - upon removal. So maybe the Ringke case has an issue?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone recommend a good glass screen protector? I used one for my iPhone and didn't even notice it was on. I don't want scratches on this thing. I didn't have a single scratch on my iPhone. Only difference seems to be this rainbow effect on these devices with glass protector. Had one on my Note 5. You could tell it was there.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Anyone recommend a good glass screen protector? I used one for my iPhone and didn't even notice it was on. I don't want scratches on this thing. I didn't have a single scratch on my iPhone. Only difference seems to be this rainbow effect on these devices with glass protector. Had one on my Note 5. You could tell it was there.

Don't think anybody really knows yet. These edge tempered glass protectors have not been great on previous Galaxies. I applied a Zagg HD Dry today and it works perfectly. Not glass, but doesn't need to be if all you're concerned with is scratching.

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't think anybody really knows yet. These edge tempered glass protectors have not been great on previous Galaxies. I applied a Zagg HD Dry today and it works perfectly. Not glass, but doesn't need to be if all you're concerned with is scratching.

Would mind posting a pic? I haven't bought the Note yet...but I do have one waiting for me at Sam's Club. I just want to be sure to be able to protect it. How does the zagg and the s-pen do together?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Do people really put an all glass phone inside the same pockets as their keys still? No matter how good the glass is, that seems like asking for trouble.

God gave you two (sometimes four!) pockets for a reason. Use them wisely.

Nilo7

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Did you pay attention to this foot note in the test sheet?

" * aH parts tested without anti-smudge coating to probe glass response only"

So maybe the scratches we see in the video are not in the actual glass but on the coating?
Yes, my cousin's Nexus 6P seems to scratch more easily than it's made out to be, and that's with Gorilla Glass 4. I think the oleophobic coating scratches much easier.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I had a Zagg put on yesterday. Fits pretty good for a plastic one. Probably won't be long before the sides start pulling up, but we will see

MarkyHaslam

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Corning responds to the GG5 scratch video.

Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video - Android Authority

Pretty much says that Zach (Jerryrigeverything) is to blame. Not a scientific test, blah blah blah. Just seems like they aren't willing to admit, for whatever reason, that GG5 scratches more easily than GG4. They wind up saying it's just material transfer, not scratching we're seeing. That's a new one.

Maybe because it doesn't? So far we only have Jerry's video to go off, so much more testing is needed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital