Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Would mind posting a pic? I haven't bought the Note yet...but I do have one waiting for me at Sam's Club. I just want to be sure to be able to protect it. How does the zagg and the s-pen do together?

They work perfectly fine together. Here is the Zagg HD Dry applied with a Spigen Liquid Crystal case.

IMG_0001.jpg

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
you mean when attacked viciously with a razor blade? lol... C'mon man, thats not remotely similar to traditional wear and tear.

Well I for one make sure to put my phone in an Otterbox when it's time for my daily razor blade rampage. Can't be too careful.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Day 4. Naked note 7.

Lives in my jean pockets, center console of my truck, my coffee table, which is slate, or my infants hands.

I dont baby it at all. Still no scratches.

The video shows a softer pic being drug across a harder surface.

If not done right, it will leave the softer pic material attached to the glass.

I think we all have ran across scuff marks on tile flooring. Same principle. They dont just wipe off, it takes a bit of work to get them off.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
People have overreacted over one video where he is trying to scratch his phone. How many other videos have come out saying it has scratched their phone? None I've seen.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
People have overreacted over one video where he is trying to scratch his phone. How many other videos have come out saying it has scratched their phone? None I've seen.

It literally happens with EVERY new phone release. Scratch-gate! Bend-gate! Battery-gate! Camera-gate! Signal-gate! No Headphone Jack-gate! Then it dies down once the Chicken Littles realize the sky isn't falling for 99.9 percent of the purchasing public. It's so ******* ridiculous, but you can just about set your clock to it with every release. Just wait until Sept. when the new iPhone releases. I should start a pool to predict what the first wild overreaction will be.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It literally happens with EVERY new phone release. Scratch-gate! Bend-gate! Battery-gate! Camera-gate! Signal-gate! No Headphone Jack-gate! Then it dies down once the Chicken Littles realize the sky isn't falling for 99.9 percent of the purchasing public. It's so ******* ridiculous, but you can just about set your clock to it with every release. Just wait until Sept. when the new iPhone releases. I should start a pool to predict what the first wild overreaction will be.

Spot on

Think with iPhone 7 people will still be hammering Apple on the same design and no headphone jack as they are now

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Put mine in two Spigen cases, the Samsung S-View and the Samsung LED View case today and it emerged with no scratches on the back - or front - upon removal. So maybe the Ringke case has an issue?

I have an Orzly FlexiCase and two Ringke cases (Air in Smoke Black color and Fuson in Crystal View color), and didn't have any problems when I tested all three of them on my new Note 7 yesterday.

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to remove scratches off the Back? I've read clear nail Polish but I'm not sure how that'd work with gorilla glass 5. I guess I should be grateful Tmobile is willing to do a return, I just wish blue coral wasn't on backorder.

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
you mean when attacked viciously with a razor blade? lol... C'mon man, thats not remotely similar to traditional wear and tear.

Obviously that was a crazy amount of damage, but he's done the same thing to other phones that still worked fine afterwards. I'd be interested to see at what point scratches do start to degrade the accuracy of the scanner.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
i literally just ordered two Ringke cases. Hopefully others can chime in on this. I agree that is insane. I had an S7 Edge with a cheap clear TPU case and don't recall any scratching.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
i literally just ordered two Ringke cases. Hopefully others can chime in on this. I agree that is insane. I had an S7 Edge with a cheap clear TPU case and don't recall any scratching.
I have this Ringke case. On for 24 hours. Obviously not a good cross section of use, but i have no scratches.

caf1c3cb774c782d6fe7c07b0f85a95c.jpg

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I saw Corning responded to this:
Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video

They essentially stated that what is on the screen with the hardness level 3 is something like residue from the hardness pick since it is a very soft material. I'm not an expert but the way everything was worded makes me more suspicious than if they had just given a more direct answer.
They are telling the truth I had thought I had a scratch on mine..then I kept wiping with finger,..it was just a residue.....

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I tried to get the scratches out and the sales rep at tmobile said they were engraved in there. If no one else is having this issue it makes me think mine must be defective.

mobilem1

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
The best way for Corning to resolve this controversy is to just do their own video test and upload it for all the world to see. If the test that Zack conducted on Jerry Rig is valid that means a tempered glass screen protector could potentially scratch the note 7 screen when applied or removed. Not good. This also means that Corning would have singlehandedly screwed over both Samsung and Apple. The new iPhone will reportedly also use gg5 and I'm sure there isn't enough time for Apple to switch out screens before the September release.
The sad thing about this is someone will probably lose their jobs over this and it may have just been an honest oversight or mistake that wasn't considered until now. Corning probably knew it was more susceptible to scratching but the higher ups were told that it would be comparable to gg4 to the point where it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The video warned that people would be scratching their screen within the 1st week. We're halfway through the 1st week, so far I don't see an explosion of complaints about the scratched screens. I'll report back on Friday.

--RICH

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Sangs, going from your iPhone SE to the note 7 now!!! Haha you're too much. I would chucked that 4-inch phone across the room already after using a 5.7 inch screen. Crazy lol

I may have a phone problem :) (And I still LOVE that SE btw. It's a portable powerhouse. Fits anywhere.)

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I may have a phone problem :) (And I still LOVE that SE btw. It's a portable powerhouse. Fits anywhere.)
Haha you MAY have one. Good thing I'm not the only one with a phone obsession. Thoughts on the note compared to s7e?? I'm losing sleep at night debating if it's worth getting. The grace ui and the new always on display is amazing. Idk if I can wait for it to come in an update to the edge, who even knows if it will.

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It may seem a serious issue by watching this "Note 7 scratch test" video, but this is not actually the glass getting scratches / damage. It is a type of behavior known as "material transfer" in Material Science. Though it feels that better shatter resistance ability has somewhere compromised the scratch resistance ability on Note 7 (a nice tempered glass screen protector will do the trick), it also depends on the extreme conditions in the video & Mohs hardness test which is obviously already tested by Corning for Gorilla Glass 5 (Note 7).
For more info, please visit this link & READ THE COMPLETE EXPLANATION:
Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video - Android Authority

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie