My routine when I get a new phone

mistic99

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The first thing I do is charge it fully then add my Google account then uninstall/disable any unnecessary apps. I then use the device for 24-48 hours nothing installed I use all Web Apps for social media stuff that way I can get a good feel for battery life and see how the phone performs in a natural state.

Posted via the Android Central App

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea.
I'm anticipating just using it on WiFi and not moving my SIM over until I have it ready and set up to take over all functions of my current handset. I'm coming from Blackberry and need to figure out all alternatives to what I am using now. Could take a few days. I run my job from my phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I dive in immediately.haha. I charge it while setting it up/playing with it! To me the worst part about getting a new phone is that it typically takes two or three charge cycles for the battery to really settle in.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I usually apply updates if there are any, disable carrier crap I don't want, update the apps in the playstore, and then I start downloading my own apps once all that is done.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
First, I set it up to charge. Then, I sacrifice a chicken, fry it up, and eat it while dancing naked and praising the phone gods, and asking for their blessing.
It's not pretty, but it works...oh, and as an added benefit, we get rain!

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, I never choose to restore anything from a previous phone or from a previous install in the event I am doing a Factory Reset. Package Disabler Pro gets installed early and I'll select the usual suspect bloatware to dump. Prior to having this app, I'd endeavor to dump as much bloat manually, but of course you can't get to all that crap without something like PDP.

Then, all apps get installed one-by-one, over time - no rush for me. Settings happen as I come across them. I'll watch battery usage, which take a few cycles to settle-in and I'll watch data usage in the event that an app is eating data when I am not looking.

But, I am all-in on dlgus' routine mentioned a few posts back.
Heating up my oil now...