Wet-Install Screen Protectors - How Do They Feel?

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
When writing on the the wet application protectors with the S-pen does it leave impressions in the plastic?

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I bought a yootech wet screen protector. Absolutely no orange peel effect which is awesome but I can't seem to keep the edges down and it's been over 24 hours.... and my very minimal case is lifting the protector. So frustrated.

Has anyone tried the zagg? The last zagg I used had terrible orange peel effect. I'm very scared to go naked on the screen....

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Always been successful with protectors. Not with the Note 7 so far. I just applied two, a Pleason and an Xtreme Guard. Both suck big time - for different reasons.

I looked on Amazon, and it appears that all N7 protectors that I want (full coverage, clear) have horrible ratings. I might buy the IQShield based on our forum member feedback - but it's not rated well.

What's the deal??

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Any issues with the edges? My skinomi is a joke.
Its a pain. Installation took about 30 minutes. 20 of that was holding down the edges.

Here's the trick:

Install like normal, squeegee out the extra water. Now that the flat part looks good the edges will be too moist to stick. Step away for 5 minutes. Come back and try holding part of the edge to the screen with your palm for 10 seconds. Does it stick? If so continue to work your way around the phone, holding 4-5" at a time down with your palm for 10-30 seconds. If it pops up right away it's too moist, step away for another 5 minutes and try again.

Even once it starts sticking it'll probably still pop up in a few trouble areas. Come back to those last. Figure you'll need to give those a final push down with your thumb/fingers about 30-45 minutes after you originally installed the protector. Then leave it alone overnight.

FYI the second you put a case on it'll push up the edges. I eventually got all my edges tucked under the case using my insurance card (thin cheap plastic thinner than a credit card but thicker than a business card). I'm using the caseology parallax right now.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So I spoke too soon on the iq shield with beetle pro. After a few hours at work it started peeling up on the edges. Heading to the sprint store now for something different.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Purchase a Zagg at Best Buy today and number one the corners were lifting as soon as I put the case on and number two I didn't like how the protector made everything sensitive but in a bad way but took it off right away wouldn't recommend
I got the zagg too and the corners are irritating me but nothing is extra sensitive for me... I just do not want scratches on my screen so this is a necessary evil.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So, just checking in...

Is there a single film protector that more than one person can verify actually works? No bubbles, edges stay down, can be used with a case. I don't think I am asking for too much!

I've got the two crappiest protectors on the market now. Need something good.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So, just checking in...

Is there a single film protector that more than one person can verify actually works? No bubbles, edges stay down, can be used with a case. I don't think I am asking for too much!

I've got the two crappiest protectors on the market now. Need something good.
I don't anything out there works great right now. But several companies have said they are updating their product to work better. The situation will probably improve in a few weeks.

jackash0912

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Anyone try the supcase beetle pro with the iq shield yet? The supcase has the hard plastic go on from the from of the phone then the phone goes inside the back of the case. Maybe this will prevent the screen cover from lifting.

I have the Supcase Unicorn Beetle with the front and back piece, and it seems to hold the film protector in place on the edges. The only time I had lifting was when I put it in the holster, it somehow lifted the edge of the protector. I fixed it and it hasn't lifted again. I didn't use IQ shield (mine arrived damaged), but I used a G Color film protector.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had the same experience with the supcase. Worked great until I put it in the holster. Then the screen cover started peeling.

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
In the process of installing the Skinomi matte full coverage screen protector. It's going surprisingly well, though the curved portions take some extra time so that they stay down (which they are). My fear, which came true, was that the screen protector is one of those "mushy" ones that can easily be indented with something like your fingernail. Though, I think the few markings that I already [accidentally] put onto it are healing themselves.

Here are a few photos. Will let it cure for a while before putting my CandyShell Grip onto it.
BMbdWAF.jpg

vAKvS34.jpg

D1080ci.jpg

bRWFOwi.jpg

xZlsIx2.jpg

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Skinomi has a new case friendly version. What a surprise, 63 fake 5 star reviews. Going to have to vote all of those "unhelpful".

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Sk...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5354362

However I'm going to order it and see how they work.
My just arrived today. The edge/side doesn't stick and not case friendly. The corner pilled off.

Not sure why companies haven't learned anything from s7 edge.
Does it peel when you put on a case? I also noticed they have a Case Friendly version now, but does anyone know if the corners are cut out like the one they made for the S7?

When I tried skinomi on a previous phone it left a greasy looking residue between the screen protector and phone that didn't go away, even though I wiped the phone clean and never touched the screen side of the protector. So I ended up taking it off after a few days and throwing it away.

Anyone else ever experience that with wet application protectors?

You need either a case that doesn't go up to the edge of the glass or a protector that doesn't go all the way down the curve. Either way you'll end up with a portion 'unprotected'. These are tighter curves than the ones on the S7 Edge, so it's gonna be harder to find a good balance, but yeah, it's both accessories' fault. If you like the protector, you'll have to find a case that works with it. From review's I've seen from other protectors, however, I'd say you're better off keeping this one and finding a case.

I was able to avoid mine peeling up with this, maybe it'll help:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...our-case-peeling-off-edges-check-out-tip.html

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
In the process of installing the Skinomi matte full coverage screen protector. It's going surprisingly well, though the curved portions take some extra time so that they stay down (which they are). My fear, which came true, was that the screen protector is one of those "mushy" ones that can easily be indented with something like your fingernail. Though, I think the few markings that I already [accidentally] put onto it are healing themselves.

Here are a few photos. Will let it cure for a while before putting my CandyShell Grip onto it.
http://i.imgur.com/BMbdWAF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vAKvS34.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D1080ci.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bRWFOwi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xZlsIx2.jpg

Good news: Everything is perfect, except for alignment. The home button cutout was slightly aligned higher than it should so that the cutouts at the top would be perfectly aligned. Still, everything is pretty damn nice. It even works perfectly with my CandyShell Grip without any lifting.

However, the Skinomi matte film does appear to distort light more than other matte screen protector's I've used, so clarity isn't quite as good.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I installed the IQ shield on my Note 7. I can't get the corners and some of the edge to stay down. It's been over 14 hours since install. I tried to put a Spigen case on and it caused the corners to come up again. On to the next protector.....
let us know if u find one

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908