Verizon has apparently gimped their Note 7.

shaw1234

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I had Verizon for the past 16 years. Never had a service problem, 4G works everywhere I've ever been, never drop a call. Moved to AT&T on Friday and got two Note 7's because they gave $695 in credits towards the second one. Well, it's now Wednesday and I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon porting my 3 lines back. AT&T had trouble sending/receiving texts, dropped a call, and data was dial up speed where I work. I thought there was a minimal difference in the big 2 networks, but, for my area at least, Verizon is bar none the best. I'll put up with their mods all day long and have all my calls go through without a hitch. Not switching to another carrier...ever. What good is a phone that connects to a weak network?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The RAM Management app was not made by Cheetah Mobile! It is Samsung's built-in management app for those who feel the need for this sort of thing.

The bottom line is Verizon removed certain feature so they can make more money from its customers. PERIOD! Especially since they have comparable products available.

It is Cheetah Mobile. Smart Manager is done by Clean Master who is by Cheetah Mobile.

I found this last year on my Note 5. I've complained to Samsung about this.

Attachments

• 1472086920764.jpg
    1472086920764.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 43

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
It is Cheetah Mobile. Smart Manager is done by Clean Master who is by Cheetah Mobile.

I found this last year on my Note 5. I've complained to Samsung about this.
I stand corrected. Good to know.

All the RAM Management portion of rhe settings does is stop apps running in the background anyway. It's not much.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

All the RAM Management portion of rhe settings does is stop apps running in the background anyway. It's not much.

Well RAM Management is unnecessary for Android OS these days, I prefer they just remove it from all phones. You can cause more problems by managing your own RAM over letting Android manage it.

I disabled it because I don't want Cheetah anything running on the background on my phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

It stops those apps, only to have the OS restart them or replace them with others in the background. Because empty RAM doesn't save you anything in terms of increased battery life or performance, Android is designed to keep apps dormant in memory. This reduces the battery consumption by not having to fully initialize an app every time you go to it, with the added benefit of better multitasking.

http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
It stops those apps, only to have the OS restart them or replace them with others in the background. Because empty RAM doesn't save you anything in terms of increased battery life or performance, Android is designed to keep apps dormant in memory. This reduces the battery consumption by not having to fully initialize an app every time you go to it, with the added benefit of better multitasking.

http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care
I know how Android works.

My point was the RAM Management function Samsung added does not "hurt" anything.

And honestly, 90% of Android users have no idea of what you just explained and don't care. All they know is that those apps are still there (what appears to them to be running apps) and they want them gone. I have heard countless times about this and I have told people every time to leave those apps alone. They won't listen. So I understand why Samsung did what it did. I'm 100% positive that Samsung as a company received complaints about apps running in the background. So they included the RAM Management function - for better or for worse.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My point was the RAM Management function Samsung added does not "hurt" anything.

My point is that it would hurt battery life.

I'm not saying Verizon should have removed it either. I dislike it when carriers remove functionality from a phone. You're right, Samsung put it there for a reason, even if it is nothing more than a battery using gimmick that is counterproductive. Most people probably don't understand this part of Android, and Samsung is just praying on that ignorance to boost sales.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My point is that it would hurt battery life.

I'm not saying Verizon should have removed it either. I dislike it when carriers remove functionality from a phone. You're right, Samsung put it there for a reason, even if it is nothing more than a battery using gimmick that is counterproductive. Most people probably don't understand this part of Android, and Samsung is just praying on that ignorance to boost sales.

They are probably satisfying all the people that screamed when the task manager was removed because it was no longer needed.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Whatever the case, it is pure lame that Verizon removed the call ID function built into the Samsung firmware. That is not much different if having Verizon disable the volume device adjustment so they could charge for that too.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Whatever the case, it is pure lame that Verizon removed the call ID function built into the Samsung firmware. They hijacked that so they could charge people.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Most carriers do stupid stuff like that. When gingerbread came out and we could modify what icons showed in our pull down shade, AT&T took that away from us like it was nuclear codes or something.

wcupk

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So verizon did take out HIYA? I asked on this board a few days ago and did not get an answer to my question. HIYA is android's anti spam caller ID software.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So verizon did take out HIYA? I asked on this board a few days ago and did not get an answer to my question. HIYA is android's anti spam caller ID software.

Another competing product so Verizon had to have it removed to avoid competition. Instead of developing a superior product and than compete with others they develop an inferior product and kill the completion by blocking it.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
One thing that Verizon does that i do not like is they take away the spam folder for text messages. There is no way to block texts unless you do it online VZW.com and you can only block 5 for free. Ive had Tmobile (that lasted 3 months). Ive had at&t they do not take away this feature, but i could not get service in my place of work with at&t so i had to switch back to Verizon... now that at&t has wifi calling on their newer android phones i may switch back after the holidays.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well RAM Management is unnecessary for Android OS these days, I prefer they just remove it from all phones. You can cause more problems by managing your own RAM over letting Android manage it.

I disabled it because I don't want Cheetah anything running on the background on my phone.

What are the specific apps you deleted for this?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What are the specific apps you deleted for this?
No worries.. Verizon gimped on cheetah mobile...

I am sure that there are many disappointed fans crying over
Verizon gimping cheetah mobile because they want the note 7 exactly how Samsung wants it.