Verizon has apparently gimped their Note 7.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
According to several tweets by Droid-Life and replies to their tweets, VZW has a warmer temperature screen setting, ad block on the browser is disabled, smart settings suggestions are gone, Device Management settings section gone, and RAM management settings gone.

https://twitter.com/droid_life

Can anyone confirm all of this? I have mine sitting here unopened and if all of this is true, I think I'm finally done with them and will send it back and look at other carrier options. Was excited to switch from my iPhone 6 Plus to this, and as aggravated as I am at Apple about their lack of innovation and stale OS, that is one thing I will give Apple, they tell VZW to shove it and they provide their own updates, and sell the phones with no bloatware and no missing settings.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
According to several tweets by Droid-Life and replies to their tweets, VZW has a warmer temperature screen setting, ad block on the browser is disabled, smart settings suggestions are gone, Device Management settings section gone, and RAM management settings gone.

Can anyone confirm all of this? I have mine sitting here unopened and if all of this is true, I think I'm finally done with them and will send it back and look at other carrier options. Was excited to switch from my iPhone 6 Plus to this, and as aggravated as I am at Apple about their lack of innovation and stale OS, that is one thing I will give Apple, they tell VZW to shove it and they provide their own updates, and sell the phones with no bloatware and no missing settings.
Lol... "gimp"

Doesn't Verizon have a history of doing this nonsense...

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Lol... "gimp"

Doesn't Verizon have a history of doing this nonsense...

Yes and that's one of the reasons I've stuck with the iPhone since it hit VZW. I remember the Note 3 or 4 I tried it out, and something as simple as the continuous app screen swiping was removed only on VZW's version. So maddening.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Where would all of this be located? I'm on Verizon. Do these features allow you to increase battery life?

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Where would all of this be located? I'm on Verizon. Do these features allow you to increase battery life?

There is an entire settings category called Device Management. From what I can gather they've removed it entirely and all of the subsettings in it.

I was talking about the Droid Life tweets.

I can't speak to their motivations but I'd assume they will call out any carrier that messes with the software and removes stuff for no reason.

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Verizon is evil. Aside from loading their devices with junk their retail stores are staffed by nice but totally inept employees.

Whenever I buy a new Note (annually) or accessories I go to Best Buy. They might not be perfect but it's a massive improvement.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
There is an entire settings category called Device Management. From what I can gather they've removed it entirely and all of the subsettings in it.

I can't speak to their motivations but I'd assume they will call out any carrier that messes with the software and removes stuff for no reason.

It's no secret some of these websites are now in T-Mobile's pocket...

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

I have Ad Block on the Sammy browser, using Ad Block Plus. And I'm overjoyed they took away the useless RAM "management" snake oil, brought to you by the cheats at Cheetah Mobile. Can't say I'm familiar with smart settings "suggestions." I know I have smart lock for location, devices, etc. And the screen looks great, so not sure about the "warmer" issue.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Also those warmer photos look to me like somebody has the blue light filter on during the day. I can make my screen look EXACTLY like that with the blue filter activated, but looks nothing like that with it deactivated.