My iPhone keyboard would have the @ symbol and the hashtag symbol # auto pop up when using Twitter and Instagram. Is there a keyboard like that on Android. Just got the Note 7. Love it. Just need this piece.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-19-2016 11:32 PM
    My iPhone keyboard would have the @ symbol and the hashtag symbol # auto pop up when using Twitter and Instagram. Is there a keyboard like that on Android. Just got the Note 7. Love it. Just need this piece.

There are plenty of 3rd party keyboards but I don't believe I have seen one that does that.
    You will get used to it
    08-19-2016 11:36 PM
    Well, there are ways to have alternative characters show up at all times. This is true of both the stock Samsung keyboard and others (the best is Swiftkey). To customize the Samsung Keyboard tap Settings --> Keyboard layout --> Alternative characters (on). After that the "@" is the alternate character for the "s" key, just hold it down.

Alternately, you can download and use Swiftkey, which has the same (and much more) customization, and excellent word prediction. Good luck!
    08-19-2016 11:41 PM
    I don't want to hold it down. I want a key for it all the time. Is this possible?

08-20-2016 12:37 AM
    Not that I am aware of. You can set the duration on Swiftkey to less than 1/4 of a second to choose the secondary character. I would go with that for now. I think you'll be OK until another solution comes along. :-)
    08-20-2016 01:10 AM
    Anyone else know anything about this.

08-20-2016 12:25 PM
    I believe this is specific to iOS. Twitter and Instagram simply programmed their apps to do that on iOS. There are some differences between the two OSes. For example, on Facebook for iOS, you can insert a picture comment from any folder you have on Android you can only insert from the main gallery which means you have up to scroll through ALL of your pics to find the one you're looking for. Quite a pain.

Posted via my sexy Black Onyx Note 7
    08-20-2016 04:50 PM
    I don't want to hold it down. I want a key for it all the time. Is this possible?

Ahhh, 1st world problems....
    Christian Campbell likes this.
    08-20-2016 05:37 PM
    Not that I am aware of. You can set the duration on Swiftkey to less than 1/4 of a second to choose the secondary character. I would go with that for now. I think you'll be OK until another solution comes along. :-)
    Yes but it's ALL keys you are influencing and that becomes a real pain
    08-22-2016 03:20 AM
    Yes but it's ALL keys you are influencing and that becomes a real pain
    In what way? What is the pain? I use it this way and it works great ...
    08-22-2016 11:17 AM
    In what way? What is the pain? I use it this way and it works great ...
    What I am saying is you can't specific 1 key to 1/4 of a second. So this could lead to issues if you accidentally press longer during messaging with another key.
    08-22-2016 09:58 PM
    Yup. That's right. Just seems funny. It changes sometimes. If it an email field is where your typing the @ symbol will be on screen by itself.

08-22-2016 10:37 PM
    What I am saying is you can't specific 1 key to 1/4 of a second. So this could lead to issues if you accidentally press longer during messaging with another key.
    I think you may be overthinking this. This never happens to me, perhaps it does to you, I don't know.. 1 key is a tap, the secondary is a touch and hold for a specific duration. Even at a low duration, you have to hold the key in. Anyway, good luck!
    08-22-2016 11:30 PM
    Yup. That's right. Just seems funny. It changes sometimes. If it an email field is where your typing the @ symbol will be on screen by itself.

Long story short. You will get used to it. And for the record. With Swiftkey at least. When I am in my GMAIL app.
    The @ is present on the main keyboard for one touch. It's very APP based on Android. And I think you will find that over time it just makes more sense.
    08-23-2016 12:43 AM
    It takes about a second for the key to be held down so you could get the proper character you want to use. It took me pretty much a few hours after I switched from Apple to Android a few years ago to get used to the changes and now it's like a breeze. The beauty about Android is that it's nothing like Apple and that is one of many things I love most about Samsung. You'll get used to it, as has already been told. You can't change Android into Apple; the characters are still there. It doesn't take long for you to select what you need. Hope you enjoy your new device!
    08-23-2016 10:05 PM
    The beauty about Android is that it's nothing like Apple
    AMEN!
    Iva_LadyDiCaprio98 likes this.
    08-23-2016 11:04 PM