Problems with Animated GIFs

eckono38

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm having a problem with Animated Gifs. When I create a GIF and then send it, it doesn't animate. It comes up as a thumbnail. Anyone else having this problem?

eckono38

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
The only way I can get it to animate is by sending it to myself as an email, save it from the email, then if I send it as a text message it will animate.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a problem with Animated Gifs. When I create a GIF and then send it, it doesn't animate. It comes up as a thumbnail. Anyone else having this problem?

I just test sent myself a gif I made in my texting app (Verizon's Message+), and it came through fine as an animated gif that played properly both in the message app and when opened out of it. Maybe the problem is with the messaging app you or your recipient is using, or what their phone has as far as image loading apps. If you haven't already try sending it to yourself and see if you have a problem.

eckono38

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I sent it to myself and it plays fine. I'm using the standard messaging app though I've been Looking for a better one. I've used Google messenger, Handcent, and Hangouts. I'm leaning more towards Hangouts.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I had that problem in WhatsApp. I used Google messenger and it worked just fine.

Need to figure out how to make it work in WhatsApp because I hate texting.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Ha. I can't even send a gif lol. It tells me the maximum whatever limit has been reached. And I don't know how to fix it to where I can send a gif. So I can make them but not share them with anyone or any site I'm on. Grrr

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Some applications don't support gifs like WhatsApp. I have to upload it to imgr and send them the links in WhatsApp. Hopefully they support gifs soon.

eckono38

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded Handcent next SMS, I went into advanced settings and changed send MMS message limit to 5M. When I did this I sent 3 test GIFS to my iPhone and they played correctly.

asabino

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as well, I would like to send gifs through the Samsung messenger, but not able to

Christian Campbell

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Deleted this post since it is a duplicate of the one below. This was originally posted from Tapatalk but never saw it posted. So I logged in from my computer and posted it. Apparently, this post was waiting to get approved.

Last edited:

Christian Campbell

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It has to do with MMS limitation more than anything else when sending it through the default messenger app. The easiest way I found to limit the size of the gif is to use the stylus and use the Smart select option. On the top right corner of the screen there is an option to create a gif. A new overlay window pops up that allows you to record and create a gif. The screenshot below is the process and it shows the gif size. This allows me to stop the process before it reaches the limit. I believe the size limit is different for each carrier. I am successful at sending 1MB gif images. All other process of create a gif default to ~6MB file size. This is too big for MMS. The app will convert it to a static gif/jpeg, because it will only send the first image of the gif.

Screenshot_20160820-193059.jpg

Last edited: