Do unlocked Samsung phones receive monthly security updates

anon(8709382)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Looking at buying the Note 7 unlocked. I have an S7edge carrier locked and the updates are horribly slow. I have looked online for answers but they are conflicting at best, hoping people here who have unlocked Samsung phones will be able to help with answers. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(8709382)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
That the reason I switch to Note 7, my S7 edge U.S unlocked version never has update since it came out.

My carrier bought S7edge is usually 2-3 months behind the release as well. I was hoping for a more consistent and timely updates. Too bad a company of their size can't get it together.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My carrier bought S7edge is usually 2-3 months behind the release as well. I was hoping for a more consistent and timely updates. Too bad a company of their size can't get it together.

The Verizon s7 was pretty up to date... It got both the June and July security patches. The unlocked is still on May, I believe

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
The unlocked S7E (US variant) we have has never received an update. But the Verizon model has received an update every month.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has ignored the US unlocked version completely, all carrier versions received monthly updates frequently.

I don't know why they release an unlocked non carrier model and not keep it up top date. People who are buying the unlocked unbranded model care about this stuff and the main reason they buy is for carrier free experience and fast updates. Hopefully, they correct this since I'm planning to sell my T-Mobile Note 7 and buy the us unlocked version when they release later in the year. By then if the S7 US unlocked model haven't received a single update then I'll probably pick up the international unlocked version since they update that once in a while.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That the reason I switch to Note 7, my S7 edge U.S unlocked version never has update since it came out.

I had an unlocked ATT branded S7 Edge that never got OTA updates. But if you bring it to the Samsung req at a Best Buy they can force the update to your phone. Not sure about all unlocked version but might want to try that if you are close to a Best Buy.

lanocus

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about US samsung devices. But here in Ukraine my Note 5 gets the security update timely. Got the August security patch like 2 weeks ago

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had an unlocked ATT branded S7 Edge that never got OTA updates. But if you bring it to the Samsung req at a Best Buy they can force the update to your phone. Not sure about all unlocked version but might want to try that if you are close to a Best Buy.
Sim unlock has nothing to with OTA updates. Since yours is an AT&T branded version, you will get whatever updates AT&T approves pushes. It's still an AT&T phone just sim unlocked. Let's say you put a T-Mobile sim, still doesn't matter updates come thru AT&T since it runs AT&T firmware.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sim unlock has nothing to with OTA updates. Since yours is an AT&T branded version, you will get whatever updates AT&T approves pushes. It's still an AT&T phone just sim unlocked. Let's say you put a T-Mobile sim, still doesn't matter updates come thru AT&T since it runs AT&T firmware.
No, AT&T send updates over the mobile network of lying so you must have a valid AT&T sim card to receive updates. Smart Switch doesn't work either

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No, AT&T send updates over the mobile network of lying so you must have a valid AT&T sim card to receive updates. Smart Switch doesn't work either
Thanks for clarifying, so you need to have a valid AT&T sim card to update an AT&T branded phone irrespective of sim unlocked or not. That sucks !!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad