I feel like I'm taking crazy pills (Edge rant)

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. As the title of my thread goes, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, living in la la land. Or more specifically, everyone else is living in la la land.

Has no one noticed that these new so called "Edge" phones are not actually true edge phones? The original Edge phone had a large radius edge with a full separate ticker tape style screen. You could swipe this edge screen separately from the main screen and bring up different apps and functions. The original Edge screen was large enough to accommodate its own interface of apps and functions. Hence, the original Edge was a combination of hardware and software.

These new so called "Edge" phones are nothing but software configured. You swipe along the side to bring up a menu of functions. I can do the same on my Galaxy S5 using the Swapps app. These new Edge phones have simply a very tight radius curved screen. That bit of curved screen is tiny, you certainly can't display anything in it. It is only an Edge in name, nothing like the original Edge screen. When you do swipe on these new Edge screens, you get a menu appearing on the main screen, not on a separate actual Edge screen.

Has no one else noticed this? I don't think it's fair to call these phones an "Edge" screen. Curved display on the sides for sure but not Edge.

Derek Danforth

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. As the title of my thread goes, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, living in la la land. Or more specifically, everyone else is living in la la land.

Has no one noticed that these new so called "Edge" phones are not actually true edge phones? The original Edge phone had a large radius edge with a full separate ticker tape style screen. You could swipe this edge screen separately from the main screen and bring up different apps and functions. The original Edge screen was large enough to accommodate its own interface of apps and functions. Hence, the original Edge was a combination of hardware and software.

These new so called "Edge" phones are nothing but software configured. You swipe along the side to bring up a menu of functions. I can do the same on my Galaxy S5 using the Swapps app. These new Edge phones have simply a very tight radius curved screen. That bit of curved screen is tiny, you certainly can't display anything in it. It is only an Edge in name, nothing like the original Edge screen. When you do swipe on these new Edge screens, you get a menu appearing on the main screen, not on a separate actual Edge screen.

Has no one else noticed this? I don't think it's fair to call these phones an "Edge" screen. Curved display on the sides for sure but not Edge.

You have a point. The edge is really for the look. Gives the idea that there is no bezel at first look. The screen spilling off the side is just awesome to look at.

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

Agree, but wasn't the original edge just 1 side? And I thought the first edge screen was made by LG?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah don't get me wrong, it looks awesome I agree. But these are not true Edge phones like the original. As I said, I installed Swapps app on my S5 and swipe along the side and it brings up an "Edge" panel of functions.

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Yeah don't get me wrong, it looks awesome I agree. But these are not true Edge phones like the original. As I said, I installed Swapps app on my S5 and swipe along the side and it brings up an "Edge" panel of functions.

Agree it not really edge, it just more of a nicer looking gimmick. The S7E is more of an edge than the N7 if you ask me but most don't like the edge design. So for that reason I'm out (shark tank) kidding. So for that reason, most prefer very weak edge to no edge but fortunately I am not most so I didn't order the Note 7 and also T-Mobile user get screw over big time as well.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah. To me the "edge" versions were frustrating. I'm not a small guy and I had too many accidental palm presses and numbers/letters that wouldn't register when I pushed them because they were on the edge. They obviously figured out they needed a happy medium. Thank the Lord. Never would have bought this phone if it had the same edge as the s7edge or note edge. More negative than positive to me on those.

Rated_R_1911

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Myself Coming from a note edge to the note 7 I will say it's a good phone but I'm disappointed in the size of the device, it feels much smaller than my note edge but it is what it is. I wish they made a note 7 max with a 6.2 or 6.4 inch screen. Don't get me wrong the note 7 is a good phone but it's not the beast I thought it would be. As for the edge it's kinda pointless because it's just a side swipe almost flat phone

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
The problem is no one bought those phones, so they refined and retooled.

They should make it a 6 inches screen with edge for the exact same size as the Note 4. How is this even consider a note phone when the Nexus 6P and Iphone 6s plus is bigger? Whatever happen to the power user note lineup of the past? I want to be unique, now everyone and their families will have a Note 7. It becoming too mainstream for me. I was an early adopter of giant phablet. I had the Note 1 and people laugh at me and now look who laughing? I want to be unique, having a Note phone is no longer unique.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
As Rated R said, these new Edge screens are simply flat screens with a tiny curve that spills over the corner. It doesn't add any functionality and it makes it difficult to put a screen protector on. But yeah, it looks cool.

Thisistip

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I noticed it because I previously used the Note Edge. I absolutely love that phone. We original edge users were the minority. I don't think most people like edges, so this is Samsung's compromise. Though ppl are still complaining about the "faux" edges.

I miss it but I'm glad to have the software features.

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
They should make it a 6 inches screen with edge for the exact same size as the Note 4. How is this even consider a note phone when the Nexus 6P and Iphone 6s plus is bigger? Whatever happen to the power user note lineup of the past? I want to be unique, now everyone and their families will have a Note 7. It becoming too mainstream for me. I was an early adopter of giant phablet. I had the Note 1 and people laugh at me and now look who laughing? I want to be unique, having a Note phone is no longer unique.

Neither of those phones are bigger in screen size, and having a larger body at the same screen size is hardly a boasting point.

If you want a stupidly large phone just to be unique then get a Mi Max or something. This is a mainstream phone for a reason.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't anyone realize that a starter for a car is a crank that you go outside and turn... No keys required. These new "starters" on cars that you just turn and it works, it just isn't the same.

Things change, the initial edges were over designed, and good ideas on paper turned out t not be great in the real world.

Oh and # means pound sign, not hashtag.

Thisistip

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't anyone realize that a starter for a car is a crank that you go outside and turn... No keys required. These new "starters" on cars that you just turn and it works, it just isn't the same.

Things change, the initial edges were over designed, and good ideas on paper turned out t not be great in the real world.

I thought it was great for real world use as I held on to my note edge for 2 years.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Oh,I think I disagree a little here. The note edge was a high priced phone, I think the price hurt the note edge, it came at a time when people were not spending a lot of money for phones. I think a lot of people that are getting the edge phones now would look at what the note edge did and they would be saying why don't the new edge phones have those features.

Side note, I love how people say the note 7 is a knock off of the s7 edge, just has 2 curves. I feel a lot of people don't realize that the note edge was first, then the s6 edge, which was a disaster when it came to using the edge features, and then the s7 edge. so if anything the galaxy s6/7 are knockoffs of the note edge with less edge features.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The note edge didn't sell. Samsung is a company and is looking to make a profit. I think they will make way more money on the note 7 than they did on the note edge. If they don't then they will probably bring out another phone with some big ol curvey edges.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I would rather have the smallest body to screen ratio I can get. Older Notes are bigger because they couldn't at the time make the bezels smaller. Its better imo to have the same screen size in a smaller body as it makes using the phone easier.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I noticed it because I previously used the Note Edge. I absolutely love that phone. We original edge users were the minority. I don't think most people like edges, so this is Samsung's compromise. Though ppl are still complaining about the "faux" edges.

I miss it but I'm glad to have the software features.

I love my Note Edge. I have been wanting to upgrade to one of the new Samsung Edge phones but I notice the new edge features are different from the original so I'm sticking to my Note Edge. What are the software features that made you switch?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As Rated R said, these new Edge screens are simply flat screens with a tiny curve that spills over the corner. It doesn't add any functionality and it makes it difficult to put a screen protector on. But yeah, it looks cool.
I was over the coolness back on my s6 edge...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01