The Note 7 Battery life Thread

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting much more than 3 hours on mine before plug in at night but I'm using all of the bells and whistles plus staying connected to an Android Wear watch all day

That's about what I get, which is good enough for me. I keep all my stuff turned on also, and have several things connected and syncing. I keep my screen brightness pretty high also.

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Was I spoil by battery life?

I thought I was smart when I purchase my S7E international unlock version. When I realize it didn't support T-Mobile 4G LTE band, I return it and kind of felt like a fool. I should have done my research....BUT the battery life on the Exynos 8890 should be applauded. It had Insane battery life. I was playing Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes and for anyone who don't know it a pretty graphic intensive games made by EA games and after 1.5 hours, I only went down by 20% battery at max brightness and sound. Similar user have noted that you get an exact 22% more than the Snapdragon variant that is limited to the U.S and China. I could go a day and a half on the Exynos processor and what even more surprisingly is compare to my Note 3, I could play games at 1% while charging without it ever shutting off. The Exynos also ran cooler so it never overheat. I was getting 11 hours and 45 minutes off on screen time watching Youtube which is a little more than 2 and a half hours longer than the SD processor.

I never compare the battery life to my dad Iphone 6s plus so I don't know how it compare to Iphone battery life but if only it supported U.S 4G LTE band, I would never have return it. With that said, I recently got my hand on my friend U.S Note 7 and not impress at all. Battery life seem to be at 4.5 hours off on screen time which is a far cry from what I experience. Regardless this doesn't just apply to the U.S Note 7 but all U.S phones in general. I don't expect any phone without a SD 821 to complete and even still I don't know if the SD 821 will even complete against the 8890 made by Samsung.

So tell me, do you guys think I'm spoil by amazing battery life? 3600 mah isn't the greatest but the 8890 processor is able to squeeze out more battery life than just 3600mah. I was getting close to 900 plus more mah which is close to a 4500 mah battery if my math is correct.

alejovh1#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Was I spoil by battery life?

Yeah. Lots of post about battery life. In general the battery life seems just average. I get consistently 4 hours of sot.
I was hoping for 5 or more, been able to get 6 hours plus on the oneplus 3 and iPhone 6s plus. The battery life is a deal breaker for me but on the plus side, this note is just the most beautiful and functional note to date.
It's just damn sexy!

Zack Fawley

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

There are tradeoffs between exynos and snapdragon. The exynos is just a better CPU, it's certainly more power efficient and faster....but the snapdragon is no slouch, and is paired with a far superior GPU. I have no doubt you were probably getting better battery life on the exynos, but you'll get better gaming performance now out of the snapdragon. Hope that helps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

The thing about battery life to consider is this: Everyone has a different set up. Different things going on in the background from different apps, different cell signal strengths, etc. Another thing to consider is the extra processes for the pen on the Note. So this kind of thing is hard to measure. It wouldn't surprise me if the Exynos is a bit better at battery life than the SD. As for your point of view on battery life....I have always looked at battery life on phones this way: Can I get through my day with normal use and still have a cushion of life left? If the answer is yes, I don't sweat it. If I have to get to a charger long before I normally do, then and only then, do I become concerned with the battery.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Picked my 7 up yesterday and I'm loving the battery.. My normal routine this morning is to take phone off the charger at 6:45 and go to the gym. I just got back and my note 5 usually at 80 percent but the note 7 with same exact use is at 91 percent so no complaints here.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

So tell me, do you guys think I'm spoil by amazing battery life? 3600 mah isn't the greatest but the 8890 processor is able to squeeze out more battery life than just 3600mah. I was getting close to 900 plus more mah which is close to a 4500 mah battery if my math is correct.

This is totally not the way to explain it. You don't magically get extra milliamps between the two chipset. The better way to explain it is, the Samsung Exynos chip runs cooler so you get less battery drain then the Snapdragon chipset.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

On my usage pattern, I tend to get around 5-6 hours of screen-on time with around 13-15 hours of total uptime. If your usage pattern is lighter, you may get more runtime out of it.

Battery life depends on multiple factors, such as efficiency of the hardware, software optimization, cellular signal strength, along with an individual's usage pattern.

However, I've been pretty happy with the battery life I'm getting out of my Note7. Lasts me a day without issue.

If you're asking, my unit is an SM-N930F unlocked variant, running on an Exynos 8890.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I never got more than 3.5 hours SOT on my S7 edge (SD 820 variant). I'll probably get about that on my Note 7. I did yesterday. No big deal. SOT is but only one variable for battery life/quality.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Everybody will get different kind of usage as we use our phones in different ways.

As long as it lasts all day I don't see the big issue not with fast charging available.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

For the record... you should not be looking too close at battery life for about a week after purchasing a new device. The battery and your usage patterns need to settle into a groove. This is very common. I had 7 hours of SOT yesterday. However I am not jumping for joy. 1) It was new, and I will likely never have 7 hours of SOT again... I mean I will not have the screen on for 7 hours in a single day again. also 2) I had not loaded many apps, at least most of them were not on the whole day. So there might be a battery hog (I'm looking at you Facebook app and Weatherbug!) that I loaded in that will kill my battery. In addition, the actual chemistry of the battery has not reached peak efficiency... takes several full charge discharge cycles for that to happen.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
051c98976b6f5e5eeb424b451271832b.jpg

This is where I am at right now so I'm not complaining. If I get 3 hours SOT but am at 15% after 14 hours then I am fine with it. I listen to audio books through Bluetooth at work and text via MightyText from my computer a good bit so that tends to drain the battery a bit. On weekends I get more like 4 hours over 2 days or at least I did on my S7E.

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

There are tradeoffs between exynos and snapdragon. The exynos is just a better CPU, it's certainly more power efficient and faster....but the snapdragon is no slouch, and is paired with a far superior GPU. I have no doubt you were probably getting better battery life on the exynos, but you'll get better gaming performance now out of the snapdragon. Hope that helps.

I heard something about that but when you mention game performance, are you talking about loading speed cause the Exynos 8890 loading speed is still faster. Unless you are talking about GPU, and if so is it a difference I would actually notice? I wish I had an SD variant as well so I could get a clearer picture.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For those who are insinuating that people with good battery life are somehow lying or faking their results, I would point out that in android central's review, they state that battery life is one of the pros of this device, and on the YouTube channel, Ask the Android Guy,(otherwise known a R-I-C-K-Y the Android Guy), he States that he is getting better battery life on the Note 7 than on the S7 edge. More importantly, to me anyway, I also am getting better battery life.

--RICH

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The first week if having a new phone isn't really a good time to gage battery life, as most people are playing, adjusting, downloading and syncing non stop.

Give it a few weeks until your routing settles into normalcy.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, without going out of my way to not plug my phone in all day, I don't think I'll ever know how much SOT I can get in one full charge. During the day, if I ever see it below 70%, I will usually plug it in.

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery failure.

I'm a long time Samsung user, I have the Note 4 now. I can upgrade in October. The Note 7 sounds great, however I have had my Note 4 for 2 years now and I have had to replace the battery twice. What's going to happen when the Note 7 battery has to be replaced? The repair shop where I live has told me they can't change the battery and it would have to be sent back to the factory. Of course the user would loose there phone for a while and probably a long while. There are no loner phones either. I'm also considering an LG phone I think the G5. I'm also thinking I could buy a prepaid if I had to. Am I worrying about something I shouldn't be worried about? Thanks for any advise.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've spent the last several days tweaking my Note 7 to the way I like and use my device for me to be efficient. I set the screen to auto and put the slider just about 50%. After playing around on AC forum, music for 45 minutes at the gym and a few text I checked SOT and was very surprised at the results. The only thing I really did to help with battery was turn off "ok google". 1471812926813.jpg1471812936281.jpg

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know why any battery metrics matter to anyone honestly. They are just numbers.

• Seriously, if you can unplug your phone in the morning, do what you want to do on it all day, and it's not dead at night when you plug it back in to charge, why do ANY of the numbers matter?

• In addition, if you are like me, and have the opportunity to charge your phone during the day at work or in the car, then do it and don't worry about it. I realize some folks don't have this option. If you don't have that option, then see above. :)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't even going to post on this or any other battery threads anymore as it seems that people still find the need to critic people that do their stuff to just get the best out of the phone's battery life, and it simply gets tiresome.

But, some of you are complaining that are getting less battery life than an iPhone with a 4.7" and 720p screen and about 523 maximum nits or the other iPhone with a 5.5" and 1080p screen with about 563 maximum nits. Ehhh, sorry but you bought a phone with a Quad HD 5.7" screen and over 1000 maximum nits, so yes, having the phone at maximum screen brightness will hurt battery life more than anything else and a lot if not all of other phones out there.

I'm not going to say that you shouldn't use it the way you want, just that if you do, then you need to take everything in consideration because you are not comparing apples to apples here.

Do yourself a favor and see all the hints of people used to Samsung phones and their screens and services and work around 50% of brightness, turn off Google Location Services, disable or Uninstall all the phone bloatware and turn off sync for unused Google Account services and you will see the huge difference in your battery life, and will see that you are not crippling the phone just getting the best out of it. None of the above are iPhones issues simply because they don't have them, plus they basically converts the phone in a dumb phone once you turn that screen off, totally opposite to android's approach in which everything is on by default.

Don't fool yourself, this phones need some managing on the initial setup and the Quick toggles are there for something remember, you can also leave all your house's lights on all the time but what do you really do? Get the point?

Listen, I'm not here to begin a discussion about this, for me this is pure deja vu, you do what you want to do, just try to understand that people with great battery life are not liars or Samsung fan boys, they are just savvy owners getting the most out of their phones resources.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12