The Note 7 Battery life Thread

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I cannot understand how you all are getting 4+ SOT. I have had the phone for a week now. It is very consistent, I get somewhere between 2.5 to 3 hours SOT with 20% remaining at the end of day. I am at least an hour off from you all. I have turned off WiFi Scanning, disabled some of the ATT bloat. Not using any power mgmt. profile yet.

Any suggestion are very welcomed :)

I've been monitoring my SOT on different phones for months now... and it seems to me that signal is one of the largest influencers of how much you can squeeze out of your phone on a daily basis. I get much better SOTs when I'm at home vs work because my signal at home is wifi. Work's Verizon signal is OK, but not as easy on the phone's battery than home wifi.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been monitoring my SOT on different phones for months now... and it seems to me that signal is one of the largest influencers of how much you can squeeze out of your phone on a daily basis. I get much better SOTs when I'm at home vs work because my signal at home is wifi. Work's Verizon signal is OK, but not as easy on the phone's battery than home wifi.
Signal is huge, HUGE!

The difference in 4 bars and 2 bars (still with great calling) can be big. Start dropping down to 1 bar and your battery is gonna bleed like crazy.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Guys, if signal is so huge, and I believe it is, can someone tell me if I will have less battery time because I use a dual sim note 7 and I have two sim looking for signal instead of 1 at all time? Or it won't affect it ?

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I cannot understand how you all are getting 4+ SOT. I have had the phone for a week now. It is very consistent, I get somewhere between 2.5 to 3 hours SOT with 20% remaining at the end of day. I am at least an hour off from you all. I have turned off WiFi Scanning, disabled some of the ATT bloat. Not using any power mgmt. profile yet.

Any suggestion are very welcomed :)

Like others have said, do you have bad signal in your area? Bad signal kills battery hard.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Well based on what I am seeing you went 2 days and some but only 3.75 SOT. What that tells me is that you're using phone as you say but only looking at it occasionally.

I consider myself a heavy user and I don't play games listen to music watch movies or videos either. I am almost exactly like you.

I can get 4.5 sometimes 5 hours of SOT (I do a lot of email and texting) within a 11-12 hour period of time.

To me that's excellent considering what I am doing with it daily.

Lol you are exactly right. My phone is a communications device. Not a gameboy. I use my phone for what it was intended.
Everything else, I have Xbox 1.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Guys, if signal is so huge, and I believe it is, can someone tell me if I will have less battery time because I use a dual sim note 7 and I have two sim looking for signal instead of 1 at all time? Or it won't affect it ?

Technically speaking, yes, your logic is correct, but as far as I can remember, I've never seen or read about anybody doing this tests, I mean, you'll need to remove 1 SIM card, use it the whole day, then the next day remove the other Sim card and use it in similar fashion and compares if both are similar (they should unless 1 carrier has a lot of more issues than the other one) and then compare to when you have both Sim cards in use and using your phone in similar fashion, again.

So, I think you may be the one that can answer that for us.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Depends on the time. I move around a lot. But basically my question is, if I'm in a basement where every carrier has bad signal, will I waste more battery cause I have two sims looking for signal, or is my phone wasting just the same amount of energy has if I simply had one sim in the phone ??

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the time. I move around a lot. But basically my question is, if I'm in a basement where every carrier has bad signal, will I waste more battery cause I have two sims looking for signal, or is my phone wasting just the same amount of energy has if I simply had one sim in the phone ??
I can't answer that for sure. Let me check.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Today the battery has been pretty good. I have 4 Gmail accounts set to push and receive a good amount of email. NFC, BT and WiFi all on. Screen brightness on auto. Gear fit2 connected the entire time.

I've been using the Android Central app for a few articles and a bunch of forum browsing and posting. Some Facebook action. Chrome browsing. Clash Royale playing for over half an hour. Texting. Updated about 5 or so apps. Viewed a bunch of emails this morning and downloaded pictures that were attached to quite a few of them. Basically a lot of actual use not just reading, but no hardcore gaming. My reception has been in and out. No cell reception was at 3%. Connected to WiFi for a little while also.
View attachment 237805View attachment 2378061719.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it could drain more, but no one seems to think it would drain twice as much, like it was an individual phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol you are exactly right. My phone is a communications device. Not a gameboy. I use my phone for what it was intended.
Everything else, I have Xbox 1.

That's great for you but not all are that way. No reason to criticize them for it especially since they make phones capable of doing these things ;).

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Like others have said, do you have bad signal in your area? Bad signal kills battery hard.

Depending on where I am in the house, it goes from 3 bars to 4. So not too bad. So for today I have 68% left. Took off charger at 7:00am (7.5 on battery) with 1hr of SOT. Does that sound right to you?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Depending on where I am in the house, it goes from 3 bars to 4. So not too bad. So for today I have 68% left. Took off charger at 7:00am (7.5 on battery) with 1hr of SOT. Does that sound right to you?

It depends on what that 1hr of SOT was used for. It;s not the same to see 1 hour of Youtube Videos or 1 hour of Playing Games or browsing the Internet.

Guys, the only one that can know if it's good or not is yourself, you are the one that can compare with previous phones with similar apps and usage because if you also doesn't have the same apps installed and are using it the same than previous ones, you'll never be comparing apples to apples.

I'm currently using a ZTE Axon 7 that I got 2 weeks ago, nobody seems to be amazed by a great battery, but I am, this phone has shown to be a Monster for me in every aspect, its battery life is challenging and even a little better than my Galaxy S7 edge, so what I'm saying is that even when nobody that I have read about is talking about it having a great battery life, I am getting such, and I can compare directly to my S7 edge and my tons of previous phones because I'm using the same apps and basically under same conditions and usage, if you get my point.

Even with the above mentioned, and I'm constantly averaging between 8-9 hours of SOT ( unplugging at 7am and going to bed at 11pm with 50% of battery and between 4-4.5 SOT) when I use my phone just for browsing the Internet and Forums using Chrome, the battery life goes down the hill, and it can reduce it by about 25% of what I normally get with my normal daily usage.

I hope you can get the idea.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks erasat...great examples. during that one hour of SOT, it was FB, Outlook, installed two apps, read Comcast email, news..etc. You are spot on regarding comparison to other phones. I am coming from a IPhone 6s and that was better on battery in my house. I expect some of that...but it seems to be about 20% off on the Note 7. Now, I have not tried any of the power profiles yet. Maybe I try that next.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks erasat...great examples. during that one hour of SOT, it was FB, Outlook, installed two apps, read Comcast email, news..etc. You are spot on regarding comparison to other phones. I am coming from a IPhone 6s and that was better on battery in my house. I expect some of that...but it seems to be about 20% off on the Note 7. Now, I have not tried any of the power profiles yet. Maybe I try that next.

Begin by Uninstalling or disable Bloatware and all default apps you won't ever use. Go to Accounts and look under the Google accounts and check that you are just syncing the services or apps you use and not the tons that are on by default.

Adjust brightness on this screens you don't need your brightness at 80-100 in most cases, it's not the same to go over 1040 nits on the 5.7" quad HD Note screen than less than 600 on the iPhone on their 5.5" 1080p screens.

Adjust your Location services, Google location services is onby default and it pings your location ALL the time. Chances are the you coming from iPhone will never use or need that feature, I know I don't.

Steven Hadjez1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Begin by Uninstalling or disable Bloatware and all default apps you won't ever use. Go to Accounts and look under the Google accounts and check that you are just syncing the services or apps you use and not the tons that are on by default.

Adjust brightness on this screens you don't need your brightness at 80-100 in most cases, it's not the same to go over 1040 nits on the 5.7" quad HD Note screen than less than 600 on the iPhone on their 5.5" 1080p screens.

Adjust your Location services, Google location services is onby default and it pings your location ALL the time. Chances are the you coming from iPhone will never use or need that feature, I know I don't.
Thanks for the tips. Can you tell us what's good way to remove the bloatware?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech